See the New Vista Features Demonstrated by Mac OS

to the very present OSX 10.4 widgets, which Konfabulator never made available first.

You're forgetting Apple already had a Dashboard/widget-like feature in Mac OS 7 (called System 7 in those days). They simply revived and updated it to meet current standards in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

what does it matter. you dont like it dont buy it. im sure microsoft will stay the richest most used company in the world without a few mac users not buying it lol

Microsoft isn't anywhere near the biggest, richest, most-used company in the world.

Microsoft doesn't even make the top-200 companies for assets (#1 is Citigroup), Sales (#1 is walmart), profit (ExxonMobil). Exxon has a market value 40% higher than Microsoft (though market value != wealth).

Measuring by assets or sales you'll find IBM is larger than Microsoft (though Microsoft is about 15% more profitable).

But hey, don't let reality shake your beliefs about who's on top just on my account.

you will not going to find anyone making a real innovation, every body copy of others, apple copy, microsoft copy, linux copy, so what is the big deal? I think software companies that made Operation Systems are out of ideas in general

You can't say Microsoft stole Apples features, seeing as Microsoft said it would be in 'Longhorn' ages ago. Apple simple put them into Tiger etc. before Microsoft did.

That was a really mature post thagame, good job, you get a gold star and a big hug! :rolleyes:

The quoted post was a bit harsh but that was the point of the video. I wouldn't say that windows is stolen ideas (some are original, hehe j/k) but a lot had been already implemented in other systems a long time ago. It isn't a bad thing to implement these ideas in your OS since they are good, but to claim that they are innovative and revolutionary, well thats called lying, lol.

No, Microsoft can take some feature from another OS (UAP for example) and still call it revolutionary and innovative...only, that's not them that made the revolution and innovation in it!

I got a kick out of those videos. All those suckers using beta versions of "vista" should just buy a Mac. It just makes sense to use a Mac if you crave the newest features.

Personally, as a user of both Tiger and XP on a regular basis I believe this is because Mac users are generally happier with their OS/computing experience and therefore more likely to praise and defend it. Windows users are less happy overall with XP/their computing experience and therefore don't feel like fighting to stand up for it. For example while I use both (I'm typing this on XP and in a minute I'll switch to my iBook) I have never defended XP in an argument where someone was talking about how crap XP is, but I have, on numerous occasions (such as this one?) defended Tiger.

As for Vista...well it's hard to be a zealot about a product which isn't in final but I believe come the launch of Vista you'll see far more Windows zealots, and the same when Leopard is released, especially if they are on a par with each other.

Very well said (Y)

you will not going to find anyone making a real innovation, every body copy of others, apple copy, microsoft copy, linux copy, so what is the big deal? I think software companies that made Operation Systems are out of ideas in general

The only problem with that is, is that Apple keeps the lid tightly sealed on their OS releases. No one knows what's in a new version of Mac OS X until a couple months before its release. So no one knows what new features the OS will offer until much much later on in development. MS announces all of this stuff but since Apple keeps its mouths closed, no one knows what they will offer so you can't say Apple simply takes features that MS announces will be in their next OS.

The changes made to Tiger are deep within the core spotlight especially, so it is obviously a major change that was planned even before Panther was released. Fast index searching was not announced by MS until after Tiger development was well underway. No one knew that spotlight would be in except for a few, but it is such a major addition that it is nearly impossible for Apple to simply add it in to compete after they found out that MS was going to implement it.

But to me, stealing is a part of the game. That does not bother me. What bothers me is MS calling it revolutionary and innovative after others have had it implemented already regardless of which OS it is. To me, MS is just catching up, not innovating. Welcome to the party Bill!

I think this whole thing (the video) must have been done tongue in cheek because some of the things the person compares aren't even directly comparable. For example Bill Gates talks about live previews in both the tooltip for the task and in the alt+tab window. The person then shows the area of the dock where you minimize a window to showing a Quicktime movie as an example of how the mac does it already but that's the thing. The dock currently only does it for certain things like Quicktime movies and the apple+tab in OS X doesn't do thumbnails of the open windows either it only shows application icons. Incidentally, the first place I saw thumbnails for application windows and a scaling animation minimizing to a thumbnail in a box was Linux (Enlightenment) NOT Mac OS X and this was years before they even designed what is now known as OS X's interface and the same thing with 32-bit icons (Enlightenment File Manager).

He also talks about the glass in Aero and the mac doesn't have that the only way to get anything like it (minus the blurring effect or any other effects that might be done with a shader) it is to use shapeshifter but there is issues trying to do glass on OS X with metal windows with the current version of shapeshifter.

I mean don't get me wrong I love the mac more specifically I love MY Mac but it's not perfect. It's not the second coming and neither is Windows Vista. I think either has it's pluses and minuses. However in the end of the day I would rather use a Mac. ;)

I really think that it's getting to a point where systems are starting to converge as far as features go. If something's a good idea I'm sure more than one person is going to end up doing it so it shouldn't be any suprise that some features in Windows Vista would in any way resemble features that are on Mac OS X.

As some person said earlier both systems are more evolution than revolution.

Personally I'd be happier if Windows was more like Mac OS X so when I have to use it I don't miss features that I take for granted in OS X that I would have to do lots of setting up and tweaking to get equivalents on Windows.

Edited by smoke

I got a kick out of those videos. All those suckers using beta versions of "vista" should just buy a Mac. It just makes sense to use a Mac if you crave the newest features.

and don't like gaming or being able to completely rip out and update your computer, right? apple isn't this amazing, innovative company all of the time, when apple was stuck in the monotony of OS 8 and 9, at least widows had some decent features.. likeeee, i don't know.. A TASKBAR? i owned a mac for so many years and life is honestly just so much easier on my pc, i had more problems with my G3 iMac than i've ever had on here.

That video is funny. Microsoft did take some ideas from Mac OS X but then I don't really mind I use both and I would love some of the features on OS X to migrate over to Vista.

Windows XP is a little "tired" and if Windows can better itself by learning from OS X then I am happy. :)

I use both and I would love some of the features on OS X to migrate over to Vista.

Windows XP is a little "tired" and if Windows can better itself by learning from OS X then I am happy. :)

I agree completely. (Y)

when apple was stuck in the monotony of OS 8 and 9, at least widows had some decent features.. likeeee, i don't know.. A TASKBAR?

You do realise the taskbar/menubar issue was what finally pushed Apple to take Microsoft to court over theft of the 'look and feel' of their operating system, right? Sure, they lost the case but that was due to badly written contracts and documentation, it was never said that they weren't close enough to warrant a copyright infringement case.

Personally, I don't care that Vista has features that are almost replicas of OS X - the thing that ticks me off the most is how Microsoft talk about them as if they're brand new innovations; things that Microsoft originally thought of, which is complete bull. I have yet to hear of a feature in Vista which is something that nobody else has done before. When you look at Vista, it's a huge leap ahead for Windows users, but compare it to what else is out there, and it's simply Microsoft's way of finally catching up.

That's EXACTLY what my point was to be. Thanks for saying it well.

*Italicized for emphasis, profanity cleaned.

i owned a mac for so many years and life is honestly just so much easier on my pc, i had more problems with my G3 iMac than i've ever had on here.

For comparison, the opposite is true for me.

One more thing, smoke that was very well put. I agree completely.

That video is funny. Microsoft did take some ideas from Mac OS X but then I don't really mind I use both and I would love some of the features on OS X to migrate over to Vista.

IMOP, this is exactly the view to take.

Everybody should just ditch the whole who copied what arguments and look forward to the good things that Vista will bring to the windows world as well as the things that will come when Apple respond with OS X 10.5.

Competition with operating systems is a good thing.

We may never know whether Microsoft stole their Windows Vista ideas from OSX.

So far from what i've seen it looks like they've improved on the features that osx has.

The searching should be better, gadgets work on the desktop and I think even on the web,

the address bar is even better.

Some may say it's easier to get work done on OSX or on Windows, its all preference and what you are used to.

Are there some people that wouldn't like others to have cool features? greedy?

ACTUALLY APPLE COPPIED THE SIDEBAR IDEA, SO APPLE IS A LITTLE CHEAP SHOT, THEY MADE THE DASHBOARD, SO U PPL BETTER NOT TALK BOUT MICROSOFT, AT LEAST APPLE DIDNT COPY THE SPECIAL FEATURE THAT IS MOST SPECIAL (VIRTUAL FOLDER), THEY BETTER NOT STEAL THAT IDEA, THAT MAKES WINDOWS VISTA TICK, IT IS ONE OF ITS OWN FEATURES THAT WERE MADE FIRST AND FIRST SUCCESSFUL!!!!!!!!!

ACTUALLY APPLE COPPIED THE SIDEBAR IDEA, SO APPLE IS A LITTLE CHEAP SHOT, THEY MADE THE DASHBOARD, SO U PPL BETTER NOT TALK BOUT MICROSOFT, AT LEAST APPLE DIDNT COPY THE SPECIAL FEATURE THAT IS MOST SPECIAL (VIRTUAL FOLDER), THEY BETTER NOT STEAL THAT IDEA, THAT MAKES WINDOWS VISTA TICK, IT IS ONE OF ITS OWN FEATURES THAT WERE MADE FIRST AND FIRST SUCCESSFUL!!!!!!!!!

Learn this bob: caplock.jpg

True, MS had the sidebar implemented in early betas, but if you had any clue, it served a purpose drastically different to what dashboard does now and the new sidebar. The old sidebar from the longhorn alphas were an implementation of the Indigo communications layer, it was actually one of the features I had been excited about as an ex beta tester.

But that all changed when the entire OS was rewritten and planned from scratch. Dashboard was in no way similar to the old sidebar besides that both were displayed on a computer screen. They were totally different. The new sidebar for vista is nothing like the original plans so when it comes to widgets/gadgets, it is MS that is the little cheap shot.

Granted I love dashboard so its a great feature and windows users should get a chance to use it, but if you are going to bring up stealing ideas, that idea was totally apple's from the beginning. They got the premise from System 1-7 and also konfibulator.

Also, you better have that keyboard looked at, that has to get annoying ;)