See the New Vista Features Demonstrated by Mac OS

i thought it was quite funny...dont know really why so many people are argueing about it...it is a joke after all :rolleyes:

I agree.

ACTUALLY APPLE COPPIED THE SIDEBAR IDEA, SO APPLE IS A LITTLE CHEAP SHOT, THEY MADE THE DASHBOARD, SO U PPL BETTER NOT TALK BOUT MICROSOFT, AT LEAST APPLE DIDNT COPY THE SPECIAL FEATURE THAT IS MOST SPECIAL (VIRTUAL FOLDER), THEY BETTER NOT STEAL THAT IDEA, THAT MAKES WINDOWS VISTA TICK, IT IS ONE OF ITS OWN FEATURES THAT WERE MADE FIRST AND FIRST SUCCESSFUL!!!!!!!!!

Holy shamoza, some people take some things too personally :|

I've always wondered why Windows users whine when Apple and/or their fans make a few jokes. I still remember the flaming that was going on back in 2004 when Apple had those big Longhorn joke posters at the WWDC - people were bitching about how much Apple sucked simply because they had a bit of a joke at Microsoft's expense. It's the same sort of thing with this video - it's a joke, it does harm to nobody. There are plenty of videos out there about how crap Apple apparently are - like that one with the crazy guy throwing Mac's around the room - and the large majority of the Apple community sit back and laugh at them, because they are jokes and they are funny. Some Windows users, on the other hand, need to talk a walk every now and then.

The changes made to Tiger are deep within the core spotlight especially, so it is obviously a major change that was planned even before Panther was released. Fast index searching was not announced by MS until after Tiger development was well underway. No one knew that spotlight would be in except for a few, but it is such a major addition that it is nearly impossible for Apple to simply add it in to compete after they found out that MS was going to implement it.

They introduced Tiger with Spotlight in April 2005. That was years after Microsoft had shown Longhorn with both WinFS and with indexed search in its place in later builds. Heck, we showed WDS running on XP about 7 or 8 months before they shipped Tiger - and released 2 versions before it! Copernic and X1 had been around for a while, too. So claiming that Apple's Spotlight was a complete Apple innovation is ignorant. Sure it's a fine implementation and I wouldn't dare fault them for having it. But it's not like Microsoft got the idea from Spotlight and then went back in time to implement it...

Indexed Search at Microsoft has a very long history (most of which, aside from the odd codename like "Find My Stuff" - is not known outside of Microsoft). Heck, some of what we haven't even shipped yet was started years and years ago - stuff that was way ahead of its time.

the speech was from microsoft about Windows Vista, what you saw Was Mac OS X Tiger, Apple's OS. What the video means is that all what Microsoft calls new feature are actually stolen from other developers and most of them are from Apple. Windows is just a buch of stolen software put together with el cheapo gluw. Microsoft didnt even make DOS , they just bought it.

Thats why OS X is the better OS as OS X 10.5 will be released when Vista is lounched so Microsoft has a example what to steal in the next OS:P

Reported for trolling.

ACTUALLY APPLE COPPIED THE SIDEBAR IDEA, SO APPLE IS A LITTLE CHEAP SHOT, THEY MADE THE DASHBOARD, SO U PPL BETTER NOT TALK BOUT MICROSOFT, AT LEAST APPLE DIDNT COPY THE SPECIAL FEATURE THAT IS MOST SPECIAL (VIRTUAL FOLDER), THEY BETTER NOT STEAL THAT IDEA, THAT MAKES WINDOWS VISTA TICK, IT IS ONE OF ITS OWN FEATURES THAT WERE MADE FIRST AND FIRST SUCCESSFUL!!!!!!!!!

Woah there on the caps lock buddy.

Oh, and this might upset you a little, sorry:

picture19zb.png

'Virtual' folders are already available and work pretty dandy, thanks.

I gotta say, for people that live by the motto "think different" you macheads sure are closed minded.

You think that these innovations arent new? That someone else came up with them before M$? Guess what? Your absolutley right! Guess what else? No one cares. Macs make up what like 5% of the total market share out there? So 95% of people that own PCs and Windows have never seen any of this stuff for them- it is innovative to the masses, no longer are these innovations restricted to the very few with money to burn who dont care about hardware options. Lets face it, Windows only runs crap because it has to run on only.. um lets seee abotu a million different combinations of hardware! On top of that count in all the brats that make viruses and such, and you know what? I can live with a little "copy cat" name calling if i can get the benefit out of it.

I gotta say, for people that live by the motto "think different" you macheads sure are closed minded.

You think that these innovations arent new? That someone else came up with them before M$? Guess what? Your absolutley right! Guess what else? No one cares. Macs make up what like 5% of the total market share out there? So 95% of people that own PCs and Windows have never seen any of this stuff for them- it is innovative to the masses, no longer are these innovations restricted to the very few with money to burn who dont care about hardware options. Lets face it, Windows only runs crap because it has to run on only.. um lets seee abotu a million different combinations of hardware! On top of that count in all the brats that make viruses and such, and you know what? I can live with a little "copy cat" name calling if i can get the benefit out of it.

Another example for my previous post.

I've always wondered why Windows users whine when Apple and/or their fans make a few jokes. I still remember the flaming that was going on back in 2004 when Apple had those big Longhorn joke posters at the WWDC - people were bitching about how much Apple sucked simply because they had a bit of a joke at Microsoft's expense. It's the same sort of thing with this video - it's a joke, it does harm to nobody. There are plenty of videos out there about how crap Apple apparently are - like that one with the crazy guy throwing Mac's around the room - and the large majority of the Apple community sit back and laugh at them, because they are jokes and they are funny. Some Windows users, on the other hand, need to talk a walk every now and then.

Thank you, bingo.

They introduced Tiger with Spotlight in April 2005. That was years after Microsoft had shown Longhorn with both WinFS and with indexed search in its place in later builds. Heck, we showed WDS running on XP about 7 or 8 months before they shipped Tiger - and released 2 versions before it! Copernic and X1 had been around for a while, too. So claiming that Apple's Spotlight was a complete Apple innovation is ignorant. Sure it's a fine implementation and I wouldn't dare fault them for having it. But it's not like Microsoft got the idea from Spotlight and then went back in time to implement it...

Indexed Search at Microsoft has a very long history (most of which, aside from the odd codename like "Find My Stuff" - is not known outside of Microsoft). Heck, some of what we haven't even shipped yet was started years and years ago - stuff that was way ahead of its time.

Yet that does not change that spotlight and instant searching is a systemwide very deep change and addition to the system, not a simple slap on something new. It has been in the works even before the Panther release so to say that they stole it from MS like some suggest, is a little ignorant. Instant Indexed Searching is also an inherent feature that has been with OS X since 10.0 as a result of its unix base, just not in a pleasant GUI format. Back in the days of 10.0 and even today, I can go into terminal and with one command, do the same thing that spotlight does.

I'm not saying MS stole it from Apple, but it is not this precious little idea that MS has been guarding and holding on to that Apple got a hold of. Think of it more as both were developing similar ideas simultaneously, lol

In the end though, it doesn't really matter who took what when and why. When it comes down to it, they are great features that the masses deserve to use and if they get it by company competition and questionable actions (not just MS there), then so be it. In a bit more diplomatic way than what iconboy said, if it benefits the populace, then I'm all for it. I just do not support blatant lying on the parts of everyone and sometimes what is said by companies supporting their products, the dialogue in describing new features, etc will teeter a bit. To steal the light for someone else's work is what I do not like, use the feature but give credit where credit is due, and that goes for any company, not just MS or Apple.

The video is "kinda funny....I'll give you that. The PC vs. Mac flames start when people make comments like.....

Windows is just a buch of stolen software put together with el cheapo gluw.
they are asking to be flamed and ultimately showing how ignorant they are. ;) I've never thought of Apple as an innovative company. I do see Apple as having the unique ability to take other's ideas (Front Row derived from Windows Media Center, Dashboard derived from Konfabulator etc. etc.), polish it up, brand it with a cute name and claim it as their own. ;)

I agree.

Holy shamoza, some people take some things too personally :|

But its not a joke if the person telling it is serious and bitter, as most apple users are, not because they want apple to get recognized, but because i think that it kind of takes away from the mystique of owning a mac, like these macheads are no longer "unique" or "elite" or above the rest of us. That my friend is what most people have a problem with. This video wasnt meant as a joke, as much as many would like to pass it as, it is a direct and serious critique of M$s idea of "innovation".

I also didnt understand what you meant by "another example of your last post" in your provious comment directed at my post. Im basicly not refuting that apple didnt do certain things first, only that noone really cares. Think about it this way- Just say the cup holder in cars was never invented. Then one day BMW puts a cup holder in their cars and the few people that can afford that car reap the benefits. Now Honda puts a cup holder in their civics (or other economical car) a couple of years later, which one will have a bigger impact on people?

nm, MonkeyClaw beat me to it. I suggest you read what he had to say.

I also didnt understand what you meant by "another example of your last post" in your provious comment directed at my post.

I meant that in your post you sounded like you were taking this too personally. And yes, this video really is meant to be a joke - it's a video that some guy put together in 2 minutes with iMovie.

And I agree with you on that cup holders thing - Vista will obviously have a bigger impact because more people use Windows. But your missing the point here; this is a topic about a video, not about which OS has a bigger impact on the market.

I meant that in your post you sounded like you were taking this too personally. And yes, this video really is meant to be a joke - it's a video that some guy put together in 2 minutes with iMovie.

And I agree with you on that cup holders thing - Vista will obviously have a bigger impact because more people use Windows. But your missing the point here; this is a topic about a video, not about which OS has a bigger impact on the market.

I dont want you to get the impression that im taking this too serious, infact i plan on getting a powerbook soon because- guess what? I think OSX rocks! and i wasnt even going to respond to this thread, but people started making this thread about more than the video and it being a joke. Its more annoying than taking it personal really :laugh:

Also i forgot to add to my analogy: not only will the civic with the cupholder make a bigger impact- but i cant see people owning BMWs complaining! And i also dont see people who own civics even caring that honda "ripped off" BMW.

What sidebar? I don't see it! :D But yeah, Microsoft has so been ripping a lot of stuff from Mac OS X lately, but that's obviously fake. Good thing I switched to Mac!