Blowing up Everest: What would it take?

Another random subject for conversation: What would it take, and where at; to level (or at least shave a few miles of height from) Mount Everest - the tallest mountain in the world at some 29,000 feet.

This is a topic to discuss the following:

- Would a nuclear / atomic (or whatever is considered the most powerful by today's standards), strategically placed be enough to destroy, or at least partially destroy Mount everest?

- Where would the 'optimal' point be located; low, mid or peak?

:o *runs off*

1,284,345 Iraqi suicide bombers.

lolz

It probably would take 3 or 4 hydrogen nukes buried deep inside to pull that off is my guess.

I doubt it would take that many. They can make war-heads with such a high yield now it is mind-blowing...quite literally. Find an area in the mountain where you can take advantage of a fracture point and 'kablooie'.

The Russians tested a 60 megaton bomb once. That's the explosive equivalent of 60 million tons of TNT.

Well, I did some quick calculations of how much mass Mt. Everest has.

Assuming that its shape is roughly a 45-45-90 cone, it has a volume of approximately 81982064 cubic meters.

Assuming that the majority of this is granite, which has a density of approximately 3364kg/m^3, we can calculate the mass of Mt. Everest to be somewhere in the range of 2.76E11 kg.

Knowing the rough chemical composition of granite (75% silica, 5% potassium oxide, 15% alumina, 5% lime, 5% iron), you can calculate about how much energy it would take to blow Mt. Everest into its constituent atoms.

Assuming that its shape is roughly a 45-45-90 cone, it has a volume of approximately 81982064 cubic meters.

Assuming that the majority of this is granite, which has a density of approximately 3364kg/m^3, we can calculate the mass of Mt. Everest to be somewhere in the range of 2.76E11 kg.

Knowing the rough chemical composition of granite (75% silica, 5% potassium oxide, 15% alumina, 5% lime, 5% iron), you can calculate about how much energy it would take to blow Mt. Everest into its constituent atoms.

AHAHAHAH! I just rolled my chair in a circle :D WEEE!

Okay... :|...

wow either your joking and don't know what the hell your talking about, or you are very smart as i think you are seeing you nick (relativity) directed to einstein

BTW! It would take 1 giant Spirit Bomb to blow up the mountain! ....ask goku..

Lets change that to 3% lime, 2% iron...

Can't have anything made of 105% of the stuff that it is made out of...

I think (hope) the guy was laughing anyways... (unsure) :cool:

AHAHAHAH! I just rolled my chair in a circle :D WEEE!

ROFL !! :rofl:

I don't quite understand how we can work out the energy required to essentially vaporise Mt Everest into it's atoms by simply knowing the composition? I'm probs thinking about it the wrong way, but wouldn't it matter more what bonds are involved, so by using enthalpies of atomization along with the mass you've calculated we can figure out how much energy is needed to turn Mt Everest into it's gaseous atoms?

This being moved to the science section is what I least wanted -.- I was hoping for humorous discussion in general, not 'according to my calculations..' here -.- oh well.

According to what I know, a nuclear warhead should be sufficient to disintegrate Everest. However, one can also raze Everest to the ground by blowing up it's legs, which, frankly, is time and energy-saving.

ROFL !! :rofl:

I don't quite understand how we can work out the energy required to essentially vaporise Mt Everest into it's atoms by simply knowing the composition? I'm probs thinking about it the wrong way, but wouldn't it matter more what bonds are involved, so by using enthalpies of atomization along with the mass you've calculated we can figure out how much energy is needed to turn Mt Everest into it's gaseous atoms?

Well, it would be hard figuring out how much energy it takes to break the chemical bonds if you don't know what chemicals make up the majority of the object. I just didn't feel like digging out all those lovely pieces of information such as bond energies, lattice energies, etc.

Unless there's an enthalpy of vaporization for granite listed somewhere. That would make things easy.

9,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000....... vibrating mobile fones all over the mountain :D

BEEP.

Critical Error at 0x0EEF0A

Your attempt to make the funnay has failed.

Press any key to restart.

BEEP.