Looking for new HDTV

Ok, as the title states I am about to start my search for a HDTV. I do not know too much about this area so I bring it to you guys to help me out. Heres what I am in search of:

DLP or LCD - don't know too much about the difference.. some guy at a PC Richards & Son that if you have digital cable you want LCD and if you have satalite you want DLP. i do not how much this guy knew or if he was trying to sell me a direct tv package.

Size - 46 - 52 inches

Brand - best quality

Price - i know i am not going to get one for under $2k.. so lets say from 2k up to $3K

I am upgrading from a standard 32in Sony Wega which i have been pleased with but ready to upgrade to a HDTV.

Please be specific and please post a link to either a good place to purchase from or just a manf. link.

Thanks to all that can help and give their input on tv they are familiar with or own.

I am in NJ and have digital cable(HD receiver provided by cable company.)

That guy at PC Richards is a little odd. His information is just off.

I'd recommend looking at the Sony KDS-R50XBR1. If you shop around, you can probably find it for about $2800. It uses LCoS technology which gives you a very virbrant, rich picture without any of the smaller problems that plague DLP. It's a great set that gets amazing reviews.

I'd recommend looking at the Sony KDS-R50XBR1. If you shop around, you can probably find it for about $2800. It uses LCoS technology which gives you a very virbrant, rich picture without any of the smaller problems that plague DLP. It's a great set that gets amazing reviews.

What problems with DLP are you talking about?

What problems with DLP are you talking about?

he could be referring to the constant "moving" that you can see on a DLP... i know if i stare at a spot on my brother-in-laws 60in samsung dlp... it seems like I can see movement in an area i should not (such as some grass on a football field)...

thanks bangbang.. ill look into that TV.. im hoping to buy one from Best buy since i have $400 in gift cards so far...

I'd hold off buying a DLP. If you've read the new CES announcements, the next wave of DLP televisions will come with LED backlighting instead of using one of those lamp bulbs that dies quick.

So instead of a short life it has like 20,000 hour life, oh and the even bigger news.. LED handles the colour so it doesn't need a colour wheel. So no more rainbow effect whatsoever.

I figured this would happen.. i was reading some of the CES stuff yesterday and knew i was going to get into the "should i hold off and wait for better technology".... I kinda have the money now and i know if i wait.. ill end up spending the money on something else... I suppose I have a few months to wait since I am getting my basement finished...

DLP problems include rainbow effect, vidoe game input delays, and the fact that there are A LOT of moving parts which means mroe wear and tear to worry about. The Sony LCoS sets are simply better. I still like DLP and think it's good for people who won't be gaming or anything, but LCoS is definitely better in almost every aspect, as long as it's done right (JVC's version is grainy as hell).

LCoS sounds nice then. Though chances are this new version of DLP will be superior. Doesn't this LCoS still use a lamp? Or no? That seems to be the biggest issue with DLP, the short lifespan of the bulb.

DLP has deeper blacks then LCD though I'm guessing.. But there is no option for either DLP or Plasma for 26" HDTV's lmao! So LCD was the best choice (CRT I just didn't really consider.. Size and the fact that there's no native 720p).

What happened to Thin-CRT TVs i was looking forward to that. Now im wating for Toshiba's SED TVs that people claim it can achieve 100000:1 Contrast Ratio

GO with LCD HDTV. Two Words = SHARP AQUOS

I have it and I love it!

PLasmas are good too but I dont like the thing that they burn in an image on the screen. For example if a part of the screen mostly displays a bright image, taht bright image will eventually burnin, so after a couple of years of usage youl have a bright spot showing up on the screen.

I've had a Panasonic 50" Plasma for the last year and I've been using it for TV and movies actively, and I have to say, it kicks ass. I'd recommend it on all counts except for one-- SDTV looks like crap when its blown up to 50". But HDTV and DVDs look beautiful; the color is vibrant and much clearer than my old 37" Wega.

ide recommend ya get the biggest LCD ya can get that uses 5th nd evan now up comming 6th genration technolagy make sure it is up to date. make sure it supporst no less then 720P for HDTV Rez for HD signals and that way ya cna buy a HD-DVD player or BD-player down the road and have good compatability

Thats a damn nice set :yes: 1080p, 2x HDMI and 1 VGA input to boot...

Thats a damn nice set :yes: 1080p, 2x HDMI and 1 VGA input to boot...

Just a tip, though, it does not support 1080p inputs (like most sets), it simply upconverts.