• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Ashamed if your Child was gay?

Would you be ashamed if your child was gay?  

853 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

SweetRiverBaynes    7

I wouldn't it's their own choice.

Cvrt7.62Ghst    1

I'll admit it, I would be ashamed. I find it moraly wrong, and I would feel like a failure as a parent for not raising the child right.

boogerjones    86

I'll admit it, I would be ashamed. I find it moraly wrong, and I would feel like a failure as a parent for not raising the child right.

You'd be assuming that your child's sexual preference resulted from your parenting. There is a growing body of evidence suggesting that sexual preference may be at least partly under genetic control. The following article was published in the New England Journal of Medicine less than one week ago: HERE The findings that it discusses, published in the journal Cell (another reputable scientific journal), show that a single gene alteration in the fruit fly changed the fly's sexual preference in mating and courting. In other words, adding a single female gene to male flys caused the male flys to act "gay." Much simpler than the human case, no doubt, but very interesting findings nonetheless. It also has wider implications for our understanding of the the genetic component of behavior patterns.

As for the question: no, I wouldn't be ashamed. To be ashamed you have to feel that you're guilty of some dishonorable act. That simply doesn't apply here. I'd prefer a heterosexual child, but if mine was gay: it's my blood, like it or not.

Edited by boogerjones

RudyJ    11

Hell no! Why would I feel ashamed?!

I think there's nothing wrong with being gay.

I find it moraly wrong, and I would feel like a failure as a parent for not raising the child right.
I wouldn't it's their own choice.

It's NOT a choice, just as much as the colour of the eyes you're born with isn't a choice you make.

Parents CANNOT prevent their child being gay by the way they raise it (or any other way for that matter).

Please people educate yourself.....

Edited by RudyJ

SweetRiverBaynes    7

I think people choose to be gay.

I could make myself be gay right now.

Ji@nBing    53

Of course I would be ashamed of him. How could you not?!?!

stadsport    0

I'm gay, and both of my parents are far from ashamed.

The results of this poll, and most of the replies, have left me disgusted.

SweetRiverBaynes    7
I'd prefer a heterosexual child, but if mine was gay: it's my blood, like it or not.

What do gay people want their adopted children to be.

Vice    1,593

I wouldn't mind either way it makes no difference to me at all.

imtoomuch    0

I would be ashamed. It's biologically wrong. If people were meant to be gay then gay sex would also result in reproduction.

And I think that homosexuality is a choice in some people. What makes some straight people think that all homosexuals choose to be gay is that there are numerous cases where a man or woman gets married into a heterosexual relationship and suddenly "turn" gay one day and leaves their mate for somebody of the same sex.

boogerjones    86

Yeah, you could choose to sleep with a man. But could to choose to desire to sleep with men? Those are 2 very different scenarios.

Nick H.    9,841

I voted for the "no" option.

I can't see myself being ashamed of someone else's sexual preferences, even if it were my own child.

Plus, should my daughter be gay, it would just be another thing that we have in common, a love of Women :laugh:

Solarix    0

i wouldnt be ashamed id be dissapointed , cause id wouldnt be able to teach him the ways of the pimp

macstorm    0

yep, definitively

NikkiRox    2

no, never.

Cvrt7.62Ghst    1

Yes, I agree 100%. I don't believe for one second that it is hereditery. There have been many studies on this subject and trying to prove that it is hereditery, and all of them have come up inconlusive. I think the hereditary arguement is just an excuse to let gays valitate their gayness to themselves, because they feel guilty.

ghostwind    0

Wow... I am not sure if this comment deserves a reply...

Can you offer any proof that isn't hearsay or obviously biased? Probably not...

MDboyz    655

I voted "yes"....

I'm sorry.. but for me, being gay is just wrong...

x-scratch    134

not really but he was to dress like a woman & act like a woman then i dont know how i would react

HoochieMamma    716

I would be ashamed. It's biologically wrong. If people were meant to be gay then gay sex would also result in reproduction.

And I think that homosexuality is a choice in some people. What makes some straight people think that all homosexuals choose to be gay is that there are numerous cases where a man or woman gets married into a heterosexual relationship and suddenly "turn" gay one day and leaves their mate for somebody of the same sex.

Yar

boogerjones    86

I would be ashamed.

What would you have done wrong that you would feel ashamed? Embarrassed, maybe, but I don't understand why people would feel shame.

It's biologically wrong. If people were meant to be gay then gay sex would also result in reproduction.

It's reproductively wrong, yes. But now you're assuming that human existence has some greater "meaning" that what we know. Quite a stretch.

You wouldn't be ashamed if your child had cystic fibrosis, would you? Maybe homosexuality arises from a similar mechanism. I'm not saying that's the case, but at this point we just don't know. So don't go around hating gays when maybe it's the luck of the draw that determines whether you like dudes or not.

stadsport    0

Wow. I think this poll, or moreso, the people replying, have basically made me never want to post on Neowin again. I really don't know how else to say it. The amount of bigotry, misinformation, and general misconceptions in this thread is simply overwhelming. Trying to argue it would be pointless at best.

Now I will go back to my godless, deviant lifestyle.

ZTrang    0

Side-stepping the issue of whether gayness is heriditary entirely, I don't see anything morally wrong if my future child were to turn out to be gay (whether through genetics, upbringing, some sort of subtle choice, etc.). Perhaps it's because I've been brought up in a socially pretty laissez-faire household (plus I live in California - what can I say? It's influenced me), but sexual orientation is a personal affair that doesn't bother me one way or another (though being gay is a bit less useful in terms of reproduction).

I would, however, be concerned about my child's future if he or she were to turn out to be gay, since there is still so much prejudice against gays, and I would worry that they would be discriminated against or harassed by those intolerant of their orientation. So in that sense, I would rather my child not be gay, but not because I believe it would be personally bad if they were, but in the sense that they would have a harder life if they were.

Actually, I will say one thing on the hereditary issue: there is no conclusive evidence that being gay is or is not hereditary. People cite studies, but a single study can show almost anything, and there just isn't the preponderence of evidence yet that would need to exist statistically to prove beyond a reasonable doubt a link between genetics and sexual orientation. Intuitively, though, it would seem like tendency toward sexual orientation is neither purely genetic nor purely societal or choice-based (actually, I would tend to reject the assertion that sexual orientation is purely by choice, since there is absolutely no evidence to support that logic; there is, however, a strong case that societal upbringing may be the deciding factor), but a mixture of the two. The troubling question is, if upbringing does come into play, is it ethical to try to supress gay tendencies through upbringing?

_-Psycho-_    52

I wouldn't be ashamed but, as someone stated earlier, dissapointet. Dissapointet because i'd never be able to be a grandad (i dont considder adoption a choice). But ashamed? No.

Doli    545

Im guessing that they would want their children to be themselves and be happy with whatever lifestyle they choose. I really dont understand what your saying unless your trying to do a 180 with a gay couple wanting their child to be gay and being ashamed if he/she turned out straight?

Edited by dolimite35