Ashamed if your Child was gay?

Would you be ashamed if your child was gay?  

985 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be ashamed if your child was gay?

• Yes
    • No

the reason i would be ashamed would be because you're children's behavior and choices directly reflect on you. If i spent my whole life trying to bring my child up a certain way and he denies it i'd be A)ashamed of him and B) angry with myself for not being able to raise my child better.

The problem with me is, I am Muslim. If a had a child and he turned gay, then I have failed as a parent and a religious leader towards him. Being gay is something that is against the muslim religion. If my son/daughter was gay, I'd send them to a Saudi Arabia to study the Quran until they know what is right.

I'm not concerned with the "origins" of homosexuality, as it has been highly debated in this post so far. To answer the question directly, I would be disappointed but not ashamed. Disappointed in the sense that we have preconceived notions of how we would like our children to be, successful, wealthy, famous, influential, etc... i.e., Doctor, lawyer, movie star, politician, etc..... , so to deviate from these and the farther the deviation the greater the disappointment, especially in comparison to a street crack ###### that dies of Aids, but all of this should never the diminshish the amount of love for a child, all grown up or not.

i am not the person you are directing your post to but i will bite because i think this is important and is often overlooked.

If, by 'PC,' you mean I seek to be courteous and not offend people intentionally, then of course I'm PC. If you mean by that, I'm concerned about unfairness in society based on race and gender and other factors, absolutely true. Guilty as charged. If you mean by that, I wring my hands and whine a lot, no, I don't think that's a fair criticism. I refuse to accept the pre-framed and ultimately irrelevant discussion named "political correctness." I don't support a silly (and mostly imagined) movement to force people to change the way the think or speak. Stop trying to hide behind the PC smokescreen and actually argue the issue at hand: inequality.

right wing people that whine about being forced to be pc and left wing people who say they are for pc are both equally stupid.

It has nothing to do with being courteous. If it were, then calling this guy a bigot would be and is discourteous while wholly supporting the other viewpoint, because to do less would be injurious to the homosexuals feelings while denying the same rights and freedoms to the dissenter while never at any given time taking into consideration whether it is RIGHT or WRONG in someone's opinon.

It IS all about PC and not equality. Its about social acceptance, social values and morality, no matter how you slice it. All liberals say its not about PC yet you all say the same darn thing. You didn't address the fact that the other poster was called a bigot. Why? You stood on the PC platform of inequality,social injustice, and racism. For crying out loud, the other guy didn't agree yet he is labeled a bigot. What about his feelings and equality? Isn't he entitled to the same freedom? What you tout so eloquently as social equality is only equal in the fact that as long as the post agrees with the pro homosexual viewpoint anything else is a prehistoric viewpoint. Some view it as sexual deviance while others view it as permissable. What you liberals fail to realize is that people are going to get offended no matter what and it is VERY unrealistic to think otherwise.

So you mount your high PC horse, trumpet the cause of social injustice once again in the name of sparing some poor slob offence while totally offending the dissenter. Ya, sounds like PC, smells, like PC, glad I didn't step in it. Equal rights my butt.

no because i would want my child to live the life he/she wants to live, not the life others want him/her to live. if he/she chooses to be gay, then fine let him/her be, he/she made his choice and i would not look down upon it.

he was saying the act of being gay serves no purpose. at least being straight allows you to reproduce.

That means that the purpose in life is to reproduce; and while that may be your purpose its not everyones. People have more than one (stated above) purpose..

I wouldn't be anywhere near ashamed. Not like it makes me too much difference. Maybe because i'm 15 and growing up around it.

That actually is the opp. of what I thought you were going to say. Maybe of where you live but being gay could be fatal if your in school still (read: high school or jr. high, college its not as much). And even when your out of school; Always watching out for someone that going to discriminate agasint you; or do bodily harm.

no because i would want my child to live the life he/she wants to live, not the life others want him/her to live. if he/she chooses to be gay, then fine let him/her be, he/she made his choice and i would not look down upon it.

Exactly; People should lead the life they choose to, it is after thier life and they should be able to marry, date, hang out with who ever they want to!

Grrr, this is worse than a political debate ;)

Grrr, this is worse than a political debate ;)

Thats because people are using religion to debate. I mean, here you are trying to make a logical point and they throw religious texts at you. Its like, "OMG OMG What about the Burning Bush?" And you just sit there dumbfounded, like...wtf...how am I supposed to argue against flaming shrubbery? :D

And what purpose to mankind do you serve ?

See that's why I hate organized religions: they produce close-minded brain-washed low-lives.

Something we can agree on.

Keep your statistic to yourself. I'm talking about natual science here. Homosexuality is a deviation from the general rule. Just like being born with 6 toes, it is not a general design of a human being. No argument in your disposal can every deny this fact.

Im not religious. I have the right to think and feel the way I want. So do gay's but I personally think its disgusting.

Oh for God's sake, being gay is NOT a ****ing choice. GOD DAMN IT. :angry: Seriously this is starting to really **** me off.

No child of mine is going to be a queer, that's for sure.

I wish people like you did not exist. I swear to God.

I wish people like you did not exist. I swear to God.

I wish people like him didn't wave the American flag while saying such close-minded and moronic things.

Oh, and how coincidental... he's a Bush supporter. I never would have guessed that :rolleyes:

ohh jeez, now people who would feel ashamed and dislike the fact of their kid being gay are the worst people in the world and should NOT feel ashamed because its wrong, according to others?? they have an opinion , express it in a way hwich they want. I would feel ashamed, does that make me a bad person, and the other 300+ who voted bad people??? of course it does :rolleyes:

Edited by the godfather

ohh jeez, now people who would feel ashamed and dislike the fact of their kid being gay are the worst people in the world and should NOT feel ashamed because its wrong, according to others?? they have an opinion , express it in a way hwich they want. I would feel ashamed, does that make me a bad person, and the other 300+ who voted bad people??? of course it does :rolleyes:

and don;t turn this into a politcal debate :o

I never turned anything into a political debate. The only way it will turn into a debate is if somebody gets offended by my statement and decides to start an argument over it. Then it's a debate.

In any case, what he said was far more offensive than anything I could ever say about his political affiliation.

ok, i wasnt meaning for you to turn it into a debate directly, but for others to continue from that comment about gay marrige etc etc which could make this a whole lot worse

The problem with me is, I am Muslim. If a had a child and he turned gay, then I have failed as a parent and a religious leader towards him. Being gay is something that is against the muslim religion. If my son/daughter was gay, I'd send them to a Saudi Arabia to study the Quran until they know what is right.

You could send him/her to Timbuktu and it would not help! As soon as the person decides to do what THEY feel is the right course of action they will do it, or worse they become closet homosexuals and live a life of shame and suffering, all because of YOU! That is nice, really nice, it is that persons life NOT YOURS!

I would feel that I was a failure as a parent if my child became gay. I plan on telling my children at an early age about how wrong it is to be gay, so they understand it from a biblical perspective. If at a later time I find out that they are gay, yes they will be disowned, I will have no part in that. But do not get me wrong this would be the same if my child used drugs repeatedly or came back home pregnant or got someone pregnant. All of it is wrong, and I can have no part in that. My family has had a very bad history of drugs, having 5+ kids out of wedlock and domestic violence. My sister and I are the only ones in the family that did not go that route out of all my cousins. But to keep from falling into that trap I had to have goals for myself and alienate my self from them just to succeed. I do not think I am better than them I was just more determined to make something of myself. I will try to set the best example possible for my kids and I will use my family mistakes as a teaching tool. I will let them know this is what you will be come if you go down that path. So I hope the fear of failure and the possible loss of the love of parents will keep them from going down that path, whether it is being gay, doing drugs, pre-martial sex, or domestic violence. I can honestly say it comes from bad parenting and lack of having both parential units in the house hold. This accounts for about 80% of why kids turn bad like that. The other part is if you already have that in you since birth. Some people are born with a disposition that makes them weaker to those types of things or you will be strong against those things. Like my wife for instance did not have both parents, had an abusive controlling mother and yet she turned out to be a good person because it was not in her as a person to want to party, do drugs, engage in sex or other negative behaviors. Now the rest of my family had a bunch of single parent moms or they had abusive fathers when both parents lived together. This cycle repeated for several generations and has caused my family to be so screwed up. One of the more recent things that has happen is a cousin of mine came out of the closet and everyone found out she was a lesbian. I blame it own bad parenting and how her mother would always come home catching her father in bed with some new women like every other week but yet she refuse to divorce him. I think after seeing how it hurt her mother she has a dislike for men, which is why I feel she turned gay. Now on the opposite end of the spectrum I have had former friends that had good homes, parents were preachers at a church, they lived with both parents and had a good relationship with them. But it was just end them as a person to go down the wrong path regardless to how much you tried to help them. So really it is just a matter of whether you fall into that 80% that ≈10% that are just good by nature or that ≈10% that are just bad by nature.

If you disown your kid, you will destroy your family.

So I guess it is upto you whether you would want to do that.

I can honestly say it comes from bad parenting and lack of having both parential units in the house hold. This accounts for about 80% of why kids turn bad like that.

What a lie, there is absolutely nothing to back that up.

My brother is gay, we come from a very stable home, my parents are rich enough, my mum stayed at home and did not work at all. Unlike most parents they have not divorced - they have been married for 20 or so years now. It is stable.

There was no different treatment, that made my brother turn gay?!

The way they behave(all girlie aka flaming) shows that they are trying to justify their lifestyle CHOICE to their natural insticts.

That is not true in all cases. You cannot tell that my brother is gay in the slightest - he has been since he could remember - and he told me when he was 16. People just have no clue that he is gay, while he is not macho, he is not a wimp, or girly - he speaks with a normal voice.

The thing is that you only notice gay people when they are poofs, that however does not mean that ALL gays are poofs, in fact most gays are not poofs.

And all this thing about kicking somebody out of the family, is ridiculous, that is just how my dad has reacted. He now often mentions how, my brother is not a proper member in this household, and is just a guest.

He insults my brother about his sexuality all the time, and starts arguements to cause a disturbance in the family. It is horrible.

And as well as that he expects my brother to show him respect, how can we give any respect to him when he is being so disrespectful to us?!

The fact is my brother is going to be really successful without my dads help. If my brother was alot younge it would be a different case though.

Edited by Hanz

I think the only ones that have a problem with homosexuals are latent homosexuals themselves.

I think it might be a good idea to start a thread entitled 'outing gay members at neowin'.

outing refers to members that won't admit to being homosexual.