Ashamed if your Child was gay?

Would you be ashamed if your child was gay?  

985 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be ashamed if your child was gay?

• Yes
    • No

I never put my statement in the context of the argument of 'homosexuality'. I just stated my general rule.

No where does it say that "I will put my reputation before my children."

Edit: Those two are replying to my statement of:

"I know for one thing that if it doesn't really affect me or my reputation, I don't really give a damn."

If its a general rule then it applies to everything, including your childrens sexual preference, if not then considering the topic why did you say it?

Leddy you may not have said these things but they were definetly implied, if its not what you mean then change your wording.

I love how ppl say theres homosexuality in animals. My dog eats poop,all kinds. So is it acceptable for ppl to do that? Animals will hump anything when in heat. Come up with a real arguement. Just say its your choice and live with it, dont try and find blame else where.

If its a general rule then it applies to everything, including your childrens sexual preference, if not then considering the topic why did you say it?

Leddy you may not have said these things but they were definetly implied, if its not what you mean then change your wording.

I take "don't give a damn" as "don't care".

Therefore, if it affects me, then I "do care".

That means that I "do care" about my children's sexual orientation.

What's wrong with that?

Just because we don't accept something with open arms doesn't mean we're of closed minds.

Since we can only pick one sexual orientation (male, female, or both), it's not surprising that many people have difficulty accepting openly another sexual orientation. There's no blurry line. You're either hetero-, bi-, or homo-.

You can't pick two religions and believe in both of them, can you?

who says we can only pick one sexual orientation (and who says we have to pick something in the first place)? sexual orientation can change over time and limiting possibilities to gay/straight/or bi is very problematic because there is more than two genders.

some people are fluid in their sexuality, others aren't. both are fine.

Absolutely not. I'm not gay but some of my best friends are gay and they're fantastic people - there's nothing wrong with them, they're just normal people. I actually feel more comfortable around gay people because they tend to be more easy-going than others - I think a lot of straight guys think they have to demonstrate their masculinity by dragging about women and talking about woman as if they're objects, and I just hate that. My gay friends on the other hand are much more polite than my other friends, they're funnier and just generally nicer.

I know some straight people are disgusted by gay people - as a straight guy, I'm disgusted at people who are disgusted at gays. I think homophobia is something that needs to be completely stamped out of our society because it's appalling; nobody has the right to judge someone because of their sexual preference, and anyone who thinks they do deserve to be thrown in jail, in my opinion.

If I had a son or daughter who was gay, I would be concerned - about AIDS, they way other people would treat and accept them, and they way they would feel about themselves - but I would never be ashamed. And I think anyone who would be ashamed should be ashamed of themselves.

Great words (Y) one of the best posts on this topic so far IMO

You choose to watch TV, you choose a girlfriend. You choose to eat banana, you choose to do sodomy.

It would be a wrong choice by my child. Thank God, my child will not be one.

you were created to make babies, so the human generation can live on. Imagine if everyone was gay , now what would that be, the human race will die out!! Im sorry but i am against the gays and if my son was gay i would find him a women and turn him straght again~!~~~~~~!!!!! :yes:

Moot point like I said earlier. We have 6 billion of us, we aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Think.

I myself have always been attracted to females. I never chose to be. I've thought about the idea of giving a male a ###### and so forth, but the idea does not sexually appeal to me. Just going from my own experience, I would imagine homosexuality to be like this. I see no reason for it to be any different. Homosexuals are simply sexually attracted to the same sex and there's not really anything in their power they can do to change that I'd guess. I could choose to have sex with a male and I would indeed orgasm, but I see no circumstance in which I'd rather do that than have intercourse with a female, because the latter I'm attracted to, the former I'm not. One can choose to sleep with either sex, but I see little evidence to suggest one chooses who they're attracted to at the fundamental level.

who says we can only pick one sexual orientation (and who says we have to pick something in the first place)? sexual orientation can change over time and limiting possibilities to gay/straight/or bi is very problematic because there is more than two genders.

some people are fluid in their sexuality, others aren't. both are fine.

You seem to have misunderstood me. Maybe my wording was a bit loose.

I meant that we can only have one sexual orientation at once- we can only be hetero-, bi- or homo-; we can not be hetero- and bi- at once.

you were created to make babies, so the human generation can live on. Imagine if everyone was gay , now what would that be, the human race will die out!! Im sorry but i am against the gays and if my son was gay i would find him a women and turn him straght again~!~~~~~~!!!!! :yes:

And imagine if we were all the same sex and looked and spoke exactly the same, now what would that be?

We were all created to make babies? What are you a robot or something. I dont know about you, but the goal of my life is to be happy.

If you were my son I would be ashamed of your views.

You choose to watch TV, you choose a girlfriend. You choose to eat banana, you choose to do sodomy.

It would be a wrong choice by my child. Thank God, my child will not be one.

luckily for your child when they turn 18 (in u.s. anyway) they will no longer be under your control. so what you think is a wrong choice won't matter. HAHA

luckily for your child when they turn 18 (in u.s. anyway) they will no longer be under your control. so what you think is a wrong choice won't matter. HAHA

Yeah but imagine his/her life up until then, poor guy/gal

I myself wouldn't be ashamed but, I just wouldn't want him/her to be homosexual just for the simple fact that they are so discriminated against and they seem to have a lot of problems socially. It just doesn't seem to be so much of an acceptable thing to be gay these days.

You seem to have misunderstood me. Maybe my wording was a bit loose.

I meant that we can only have one sexual orientation at once- we can only be hetero-, bi- or homo-; we can not be hetero- and bi- at once.

logically you are correct. however, the the straight/gay/bi identity trichotomy goes out the window with those who choose not to identify and those who do not accept the gender binary.

i'm not really arguing with you, this is just something i thought was important to bring up.

Yeah but imagine his/her life up until then, poor guy/gal

yes, i agree. fascist parents suck

It looks like you are a faithful sodomite because you only defend without any point.

By the time he is 18, I must have thought him how to make right choices in life, while avoiding ways that seem right but which only lead to destruction.

My Wife now works in the hospital, alot of sodomites are wearing baby pads for having made the wrong choice that led to the destruction of their anus. Anus was not made for that. The NATURAL bearings of nature itself shows us that we were not made to be sodomites. If your father and father were Sodomites, Maybe you should have been born through the an*s and sucked milk from your fathers breast on his chest, and I donot see that natural and possible. Do you see that so?

So that guy sleeping with another guy... he can do the same thing with a girl if im not mistaken. Why he's doing it with another guy n not a girl? Thats bcoz he has chosen a different kind of pleasure. He HAS chosen it. Why me as a parent will agree with this kind of choice?

ok, for those of you that think it's a choice.... Could you choose to sleep with a guy and enjoy it? You might be able to force yourself to perform homosexual acts, but I bet you couldn't force yourself to fall in love with a guy and want to spend the rest of your life with only him! Alot of gay people have slept with girls too, either for the experience or in the hope they could be hetero!

Gay people even get married and have kids, but then break it off because they are gay, it's not that they just decided, it's mostly due to the pressure from society to be heterosexual, and from parents for grandchildren etc.

You don't choose your sexuality, it is something you are, like your eye colour, you are born with it.

How can you be ashamed if your child turns out gay, technically it's your fault, you passed on the genes that led to it!

In a study of identical twins, it turned out that if one twin was gay, there was an 80% chance the other was too. Coincidence?

Even being identical twins, they wont have identical upbringings, they will have different experiences through their child hoods.

My guess with the twins is that 80% admit it, 20% dont! Because I fully and completely believe it's genetic. It's not a personal choice (well, it may be for one of those people thinking it's trendy to be bisexual)... but genuinely gay people, didn't choose to be gay, like alot you you hetero people didn't choose to be hetero, it just happened!

Not ashamed....actually I'd be proud....

I'd be proud that he had the guts to come out and tell the world they were gay.

I think you make a very interesting point - why has homosexuality continued to exist historically if it means that you're probably not going to pass on your genes (if you're a male, at least)? That's one reason why I feel that sexual orientation may be at least partly societal, as from a purely evolutionary standpoint being gay is detrimental to passing on one's genes.

Yes this does seem, on the surface, correct (but there are more mechanisms to change genes than just reproduction). However, remember, in some circumstances, reproducing is not the point of life, some bees do not reproduce, they are there to, in some way, contribute to the uphold of a society. Biological interactions are just one way of passing on genes, in that mind set, why do women go through the menopause? It makes them useless, or does it? Some people believe that it means they can look after and see that their grandchildren are healthy, whome contain 1/4 of their genes. Also a lot of animals will adopt a child that is nothing to do with them. Some people believe that being gay is genetic and that it is a response to the ongoing 'battle' between the male and female genes (I cant remember the details of this now but the book Genome by Matt Ridley has a very good discussion on the subject) , I think I read that it is quite often the first born male that is more likely to be gay. My point is that using excuses like that is flawed as the interactions are far far too complicated to be fully understood or summed up as simply as you have.

I have a few gay friends, probably more than I know and maybe even that they know! My answer to the poll, no i would not be ashamed, I may be shocked but this would simply be because of my expectations (in the sense that most people are not gay so statistically speaking I would expect a straight child) and not because it is wrong in any way. I would much rather have a son/daughter who is gay and told me and could therefore be happy in life and accept themself than have a son/daughter who was repressed, probably causing more hurt in life further down the track.

Edited by TomAL

I did put NO.

I have a son and a daughter, my son I really hope he doesn't, my daughter it feels different I suppose so would not bother me that much being male.

It's their life if they feel and choose a homosexual way of life, it's their lives they have to live not mine.

When we live our own lives and stop trying to live the lives of others then the world would be a better place. :whistle:

I would certainly not be ashamed - I have a few gay friends and they are great. Like others in this thread I express disdain at the way we "need" to label people of minority sexual persuasions. I think it is probably not going to change for quite a while though, as there is a perceived need to identify differences in human culture.

However, I think I would be a little disappointed. I don't know, as I'm not contemplating children; I think that I may miss having grandchildren though.

It looks like you are a faithful sodomite because you only defend without any point.

By the time he is 18, I must have thought him how to make right choices in life

If scientists are ever able to prove that this is not a choice... would you swallow your words? Somehow, I doubt it.

And how can you be SO sure of yourself, that any child you have will not turn out gay? Simple, you cannot.

By the time he is 18, I must have thought him how to make right choices in life, while avoiding ways that seem right but which only lead to destruction.

My Wife now works in the hospital, alot of sodomites are wearing baby pads for having made the wrong choice that led to the destruction of their anus. Anus was not made for that. The NATURAL bearings of nature itself shows us that we were not made to be sodomites. If your father and father were Sodomites, Maybe you should have been born through the an*s and sucked milk from your fathers breast on his chest, and I donot see that natural and possible. Do you see that so?

lol someone is angry. if you think nature should dictate the way we live and the choices we make why are you using a computer? by the way, not all gay people have anal sex, and a lot of straight people DO have anal sex. why don't you go around calling them sodomites? do the "natural bearings of nature itself show" us that we should not have oral sex either? how about masturbation?

overwhelmingly, people have anal sex with no physiological problems.