whole home theatre setup

Andrew Lyle

next time a sale is on at the brick or leons, im going down there, and picking up an entire home theatre set. i also plan on moving out soon, so im looking for a new BIG tv, and 5.1 surround sound.

right now, i got a crappy 36" tube stereo tv.. and it's okay, but i want to get into an LCD, or something.. maybe HDTV.

I know plasma's overheat, so i scrached that off my list.. and i got LCD monitors, and are amazing (check sig)

any knowledge i should pick up on, (dont recommend tv's.. cause it's sort of luck of the draw when it comes to sales)...

bangbang023

When shopping for a TV, look at the numbers on the spec sheet, then place those aside and look at the sets with your own eyes. Too many people focus only on the numbers or the price and forget to ever simply look at the sets.

Liquid

When shopping for a TV, look at the numbers on the spec sheet, then place those aside and look at the sets with your own eyes. Too many people focus only on the numbers or the price and forget to ever simply look at the sets.

Also note that Chris works at bestbuy and people that work at bestbuy are idiots.

Juuuust kidding. he's right, don't just go by numbers. Also if you are looking to spend some big cash I personally would wait for SED. They are apparently the best looking TV's ever. Just a suggestion.

bangbang023

There's no reason to wait for SED. First of all, it's only going to be out in Japan this year and who, in their right mind, buys a new technology in it's first generation?

Andrew Lyle

i know some rear projections suck ass.. you cant see from the side of it..

im looking for futuristic look, with an LCD big screen, and the 2 tower speakers on either side.. with all glass.. thats my kind of look :)

bangbang023

Well, digital projections give you a much wider viewing angle, but if you want bug and thin, you want plasma.

Andrew Lyle
Well, digital projections give you a much wider viewing angle, but if you want bug and thin, you want plasma.

plasma's are VERY nice.. and not sure if you can change the liquid inside.. i know you can inside an LCD, and the quality dulls over the course of a year. but i basically leave my tv on from when i get home, till when i go to bed, especially on weekends, if im playing games, and having fun.. dont have time to turn off my tv, and let it cool down :pinch:

plasma's really went down in price :) plasma seems to be the better deal these days

Would you recommend getting LCD or plasma (hour usage wise) for me bangbang? also, whats EDTV?

bangbang023

whoa, some things you need to correct:

1. Plasmas use gas

2. You can replace the backlight of an LCD, replacing the liquid crystal is not done all that often (I don't believe).

3. Neither plasmas or LCD dull over a year. Plasmas will fade over time, but I'm talking 10 years down the road. Backlightsi n LC's don't fade, but they do blow out in a similar amount of time (12 - 15 years).

I think your decision should stray away from hour useage and down to the size you want and what you'll be doing with the set. Anything over 40" and you should be leaning towards plasma.

zjcrocke

I probable spent about 20-30 hours checking out online prices/products to set up my home theater with and in the end I went with a projector and a 1000w souround system. For the past 2 weeks or so I have been playing my exbox360 on a equivelant 130inch TV or so and it is AMAZING (my budeis do 4player COD2 and we each get a ~60inch screen!). I thought for a long time about buying a TV over a projecotr but I got like 3 times the screen size for the same price. Only thing is you need a good wall to put the projection on there are other details you have to work out but all I can say the extra work to set stuff up with a projector was totally worth it. If you have any question about all I bought and how I set it up PM me.

All that to say if possible go with a projector they are a little extra work to set up but you will not be disapointed.

Andrew Lyle
whoa, some things you need to correct:

1. Plasmas use gas

3. Neither plasmas or LCD dull over a year. Plasmas will fade over time, but I'm talking 10 years down the road. Backlightsi n LC's don't fade, but they do blow out in a similar amount of time (12 - 15 years).

I think your decision should stray away from hour useage and down to the size you want and what you'll be doing with the set. Anything over 40" and you should be leaning towards plasma.

dont i feel stupid :s i thought plasma's was almost like LCD.. and someone told me the adverage life time is around 3-4 years.. which made me wonder why people buy it in the first place.

so it's roughly shorter then a tube tv, with a huge improvement. and god knows what will come out in 10+ years, im sure i will have upgraded my tv since then. i've been through 3 tv's since 1999. now im using a 36" tube stereo, cool but out of style, and doesnt have quality i am looking for.

projectors, are not my thing. quality is no where near as good as an LCD or plasma. it's not size over quality for me right now.. but thats a cool idea.

i got an xbox 360, and play COD2 all the time, on my brothers HDTV, but he's only got a 30 something inch.. and quality improvement from my tv is like :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

For size wise, i'm interested in getting something over 40"+.. go big or go home. never buy anything your never truely happy with... my whole life i wanted a big screen tv, we got a 52" but thats my dads tv heh, so im not allowed to watch it.. heh.

bangbang023

The only thing you have to worry about is your gaming habits. Even the best plasma manufacturers don't recommend more than 4 - 5 hours a day of gaming. If you do more than that and need the larger size, you may be wise to go back and look at LCoS sets. They are rear projection, but are amazing sets, especially the Sony SXRD's.

Andrew Lyle
The only thing you have to worry about is your gaming habits. Even the best plasma manufacturers don't recommend more than 4 - 5 hours a day of gaming. If you do more than that and need the larger size

i may want a larger plasma? i'm interested in getting a plasma tv now.. you talked me into it :p

i dont normally do 4-5 hours a day of gaming.. hurts my eyes sometimes.. i use my pc a lot more then anything

btw, thanks you so much bangbang, your a huge help :D

bangbang023

When I said if you want the larger set, I meant that if you game a lot and still want a 40+ inch screen, you'd need to go with digital projection, but plasma seems to be the right fit for you. I'd recommend looking at models from (in order) Pioneer, Panasonic, and Sony. You should also look at Hitachi, but because I haven't seen any of theirs with my own eyes, I can only recommend it based on reviews and such.

Raikou Tch

Plasma TVs are getting much better. They still have crappy resolutions, but in a few months they're releasing 1080p plasma displays. In my opinion, one of the best pictures I've seen are on DLP TVs, but I don't know if you want to be thin or not. For super thin sets, I would agree with getting a plasma.

• 2 weeks later...
cammy

hey i know this is off subject,but the title does say "whole" home theatre setup and im wondering....i was helped out by bangbang aswell i think,he recommended the samsung 32" thingy to me....and well now im looking for a 5.1 sound system but with like standing up speakers that i can sit in each corner of my room,i dont want wall mounted ones...any suggestions? id spend around 200-300 pounds on the set

bangbang023

hey i know this is off subject,but the title does say "whole" home theatre setup and im wondering....i was helped out by bangbang aswell i think,he recommended the samsung 32" thingy to me....and well now im looking for a 5.1 sound system but with like standing up speakers that i can sit in each corner of my room,i dont want wall mounted ones...any suggestions? id spend around 200-300 pounds on the set

You can get any home theater system really and simply get speaker stands for the speakers.

Andrew Lyle

oh sorry guys.. you seem to of braught this topic back before i could. i wasn't planning to update till next week, but i found out good news today. I talked to my buddy, who can get me a very very VERY good deal on a Panasonic TH42PX50 42" HD Plasma TV.

What do you guys think of that TV? the price tag says $4,499.00, but im getting it for $3350.00 from someone who owns his own company :yes:

As for the 5.1 surround sound.. im not exactly sure what to get, i wanted to get the TV first. Maybe you guys can recommend me something. But i'd like to hear your opinions on this TV.

bangbang023

The TV is a nice set (I almost flipped out over the price until I realized you're in Canada lol).

Andrew Lyle

Hey bangbang023.. i know you work at bestbuy, im wondering, what do you know / think about DLP's? This one guy at work, keeps trying to talk me out of getting plasma's, and told me to check DLP's.. but i thought they were only projection.. i hate projection. but it uses mirrors and lights..

heres the bestbuy.ca link. it's a VERY nice and big tv.. but it's not projection :) how would you guys compare the 2?

Edited by lylesback2

InternalStorm

Hey bangbang023.. i know you work at bestbuy, im wondering, what do you know / think about DLP's? This one guy at work, keeps trying to talk me out of getting plasma's, and told me to check DLP's.. but i thought they were only projection.. i hate projection. but it uses mirrors and lights..

heres the bestbuy.ca link. it's a VERY nice and big tv.. but it's not projection :) how would you guys compare the 2?

That is a beautiful set....

If you want something that is low priced and is a DLP set and 720p (the 1080p sets cost more, Sony SXRD's are THE BEST sets out there at the moment, they look stunning), the Toshiba's are the way to go IMO.

We have one in our house and it is very nice. I went to all the big stores and compared the Toshiba 52" DLP (same as that 62" you have in the link, just 10" smaller) to the comparable Samsung model, Sony LCD Projection, and the Hitachi LCD projection, as well as every other brand/model in there (JVC's LCOS, the Pioneer, LG, and Panasonic Plasmas, etc.) and the Toshiba DLP's are BY FAR the brightest, darkest black levels, whightest whites, and clarity of picture. The Plasmas of course have a better viewing angle and have that "cripser" picture as they aren't projection, but if you want big and you want a good price, the Toshiba DLP's are serious contenders. And the bulbs for these 52" and 62" DLP's cost only $299 USD to replace and after replacing the TV is as good as new, no fading or nothing. The only thing is that even if Toshiba claims that the bulbs last 6000 hours on the low power lamp mode, and 8000 hours on the high power lamp mode (low power is enough brightness already, this is a very bright TV) the bulb will only last maybe 3000-4000 hours or so as many people have stated online. But for only 300 bucks a new bulb is very cheap, and even if lasts a few years only, still cheaper than replacing a plasma or LCD after 10 years. Plasmas have the burn in and fading issue, LCD's the backlight.

That model IS projection, but is very thin. DLP's are only projection, LCD's can be projection as well as the panels, Plasmas are panels and are not projection. To be honest, even if you get a plasma, unless you are putting it on the wall, you will need the stand for it and the stand has to be a certain depth to stay sturdy so the thinness of it won't be a huge deal. The Toshiba 52" DLP is only about 15-16" deep I believe and the matching stand goes great with it. Very highly rated online as well... it has HDMI so you are set for the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD. DVD's look great at 9-10 feet away even through S-Video.

I did see the Sony SXRD's and they definately are the king in terms of picture quality and brightness (they have a 160watt bulb, the Toshiba has a very high wattage too, about 120watts, other TV's have less and you can tell). The SXRD's are extremely clear in picture even on DVD's compared to all current generation projection televisions. The Sony SXRD LCOS projection TV's however cost about $5000 CAD right now I believe for a 46" model or something, please correct me if I'm wrong but they are very expensive.

But ya, check out your local shop and just compare with your eyes. They are coming out with new crap everyday, such as new DLP's with no color wheels, the new iris systems to improve black levels, and bulbs that last a lot longer, but if you can get a good deal and see something you like in a store, go for it. Last years TV's aren't as good as this years, but the trends are slowing and what you see now with TV's is great picture that can't even be tapped into unless you watch HD content... DVD's look great on all TV's because they aren't HD and can't even tap into the goodness of the TV's.

The Toshiba 52" we got for $2300 Canadian in December. It was on for $2000 CAD at A&B Sound here in BC for the Boxing Day sale that is the cheapest I have seen in Canada. The stand costs about $300 I think, but we got it for a good deal (long story, but we got it for $190). It is a flawless TV for this kind of a price, it is the right time to buy now. The Samsung DLP's are going for cheap packages now too, but if you look with your own eyes I can assure you the Toshiba's as the best DLP's out there at the moment in the 720p range.

If you don't want anyting to do with projection, then by all means look at the Plasmas. Just don't get hasty, keep track of the price changes, watch the market, and look at the past too see how the prices have dropped. If you see a good deal, and like the picture quality of a model, look up online reviews to see if there is any problems with that model, if not, pounce on it :D

Edited by Internal Storm

bangbang023

Please don't listen to people when they speak about plasmas. They tend to be as accurate as I am when I talk about using OS X (meaning: not at all). Plasmas are fine. DLP's are also good, but there is no need to dump looking at plasmas just because DLP exists.

For the record, DLP is rear projection, though it's a digital implementation using (currently) a DMD chip with flexing mirrors (most current sets use wobulated mirrors) and a spinning color wheel all fed by a single light bulb.

ride365

As for tv's I think the best thing is to decide on what size you want first. Sony has a VERY impressive SXRD HDTV with HDMI inputs (it's pricey though). I know most people don't like dell but you can get a very good plasma for cheap compared to other brands. Also Consumer reports and PC mag recommend the Dell tvs. For surround sound the best idea I think is to build piece by piece. Costco has excellent Harmon Kardon receivers for a good deal. The trick to saving money and getting good stuff is not to care if the brands all match on your speakers. (Stay away from all in one boxed sets if your looking for quality and performance). I look at Consumer Reports for the best TV's. It's definately worth it if you find what you want and make a friend at the store and ask him when it will go on sale. Take a look around and good hunting.

Andrew Lyle

Internal Storm, thats for that :) i read every word. i found this a little strange, perhaps you mixed the two up?

Toshiba claims that the bulbs last 6000 hours on the low power lamp mode, and 8000 hours on the high power lamp mode

a little interesting.. I have actually been to someones house, and watched this DLP (with HD rogers cable box).. and we were watching the detroit game. Very cool, and you can notice a huge difference from standard, to HDTV, and a live hockey game too.

Please don't listen to people when they speak about plasmas. They tend to be as accurate as I am when I talk about using OS X (meaning: not at all). Plasmas are fine. DLP's are also good, but there is no need to dump looking at plasmas just because DLP exists.

For the record, DLP is rear projection, though it's a digital implementation using (currently) a DMD chip with flexing mirrors (most current sets use wobulated mirrors) and a spinning color wheel all fed by a single light bulb.

Ok.. so all DLP's are projection.. (N) i watched a little video about it.. and showed how it has thousands of little mirrors, and Internal Storm was talking about the colour wheel.. kind of lame how they use a colour wheel, with perfectly timed beams of light. The video showed parts where it was focusing light into a tube, and it has 3 DMD chips.. focusing on the primary colours, processing that light..

I have been aiming at plasma's for awhile now.. i liked them since they came out, but they launched at like $20,000.. now they really dropped in price. I just wanna make sure im getting the most bang for my buck, also seeing what else is out there. I googled plasma vs lcd.. and plasma vs DLP, and everyone says plasma.. except for life.. but thats not all that bad.

Thanks a lot guys, you've been very very helpful :D :D I hopefully get my new tv next weekend :D I'll be sure to take pictures and post them :p

Also Consumer reports and PC mag recommend the Dell tvs. For surround sound the best idea I think is to build piece by piece. Costco has excellent Harmon Kardon receivers for a good deal.

Dell makes tv's? wow.. lol, i think it's best to stick with Panasonic.. they are a trusted brand (Y), especially when purchasing a $3000+ tv.

and Costco! thats an excellent idea... That didn't even cross my mind... I would of gone to Bestbuy, and baught a reciever, and speakers.. (i stay away from things that come in box packages, it's hard to find what you want all in one.)

I will defenitely go to costco, and shop for a reciever!

bangbang023

Be careful. Cosco cuts costs by carrying surplus of older models.