Why Isn't Apple Number One?

I'd say mainly because it didn't allow customizing in terms of hardware.

Back then, geeks loved tweaking their boxes and customizing it.

I don't think Apple allowed that, and still doesnt.

See if anything breaks in your apple machine, you can't just go down to ur local PC store and get a replacement. Maybe some parts can be, but some can't.

All these PC people love clocking their machines or replacing their CPUs every fortnight.

So i'd say they lack the flexibility.

Apple is not #1 because they refused to license their OS years ago. MS did, and therefore they are #1. It is that simple.

Dell recently said that if Apple licensed their OS, they would talk with them. It is ALL about licensing. Everything else is symantics. The answer has little to do with consumers, they will buy what they are given.

Because PC is cheaper and more reliable in most cases.

plus apple's service and Leadership is horrid :x

Apple's CEO is considered one of the best in the world and has been recognized as such. Their service is considered 2nd in the industry. Your reply is factually incorrect...

The reason why Apple isn't number 1:

1. Apple hardware is propriety, you can't upgrade it like a PC, thus more expensive

2. Apple OS is tied to its hardware, there is no sufficient driver support for other hardware

3. Apple OS X and below is crap.

4. There isn't sufficient developers developing Apple Apps.

5. Apple products are overpriced.

6. Apple does not have enterprise level solutions, like servers, domain servers. The money comes from enterprise solutions, not home consumers. That's why Bill won.

7. Apple refused to go Intel only recently, and kept on bitching about the IBM G4-5 being better than x86 platform, which we all now know what a big ass liar Steve Jobs is.

8. Apple did not have a good set of productivity software in the past. Everyone uses Microsoft Office. So Bill earn more $$ with his bloated Office suite

9. Bill knows how to milk $$ from licences, Apple don't.

Apple's CEO is considered one of the best in the world and has been recognized as such. Their service is considered 2nd in the industry. Your reply is factually incorrect...

People used to say Dell had good spport. LOL

For the price vs what you get its not worth it...if Apples prices were more competitive...i'd look into one.

i'd disagree with you about this. before windows98 se macintosh was a better os. It was far more user friendly since it took no technical knowlege to use, such as maintaining your own IRQs. It's internet support was equal to windows by the time the 98 came around.

macOS wasnt as good as it is, it only got good around 10.2-10.3, before 10 it was a nightmare :x

I'd say mainly because it didn't allow customizing in terms of hardware.

Back then, geeks loved tweaking their boxes and customizing it.

I don't think Apple allowed that, and still doesnt.

See if anything breaks in your apple machine, you can't just go down to ur local PC store and get a replacement. Maybe some parts can be, but some can't.

All these PC people love clocking their machines or replacing their CPUs every fortnight.

So i'd say they lack the flexibility.

I'd say you really need to stop living in the early 90's and educate yourself about Macs a little more, especially when it comes to upgrades and customization. The only non-standard parts in any Mac desktop for the last 8 years or so would be the motherboard and CPU (and in some ways the case, but that can be worked around). CPU upgrades are readily available from several companies as well for most models as well, going back 10 years or so.

RAM = same as any old PC

Hard Drives = Same

Optical Drives = Same

Cables = Same

Keyboard & Mouse = Same (slightly different key designations, but it still works)

1. Apple hardware is propriety, you can't upgrade it like a PC, thus more expensive

2. Apple OS is tied to its hardware, there is no sufficient driver support for other hardware

6. Apple does not have enterprise level solutions, like servers, domain servers. The money comes from enterprise solutions, not home consumers. That's why Bill won.

7. Apple refused to go Intel only recently, and kept on bitching about the IBM G4-5 being better than x86 platform, which we all now know what a big ass liar Steve Jobs is.

8. Apple did not have a good set of productivity software in the past. Everyone uses Microsoft Office. So Bill earn more $$ with his bloated Office suite

1) Apple hardware is not proprietary : You can use the RAM, Harddrive, CD Drives, Monitors, Keyboards and Mice that you can use on a PC.

2) Apple OS First of all its Mac OS and the reason for this is keeping the OS limited to certian hardware support makes the OS a LOT more stable then a Windows Machine for that reason.

3) Apple OS "Again Mac OS" OS X is by far better then windows. OS 9 and bellow are crappy.

4) There are plenty of developers for the Mac OS I don't know where you get this lack of developers from.

5) Apple Products are Over Priced and so is Alien Ware your paying for the Name, Quality, Brand, and Look. Along with the OS and built in software.

6) Does not have Enterprise Level Solutions where have you been looking?! Apple has great enterprise hardware have you not heard of the XServers or what ever there called that big colleges have been using for clusters and stuff?

7) Up until a few years ago the PowerPC chip was a lot faster then the Intel how ever IBM wasn't able to keep up in todays market with power and speed along with cooling how ever there have been rumours of the new G6 Chip or something that can do 4 or 5 ghz.

8) Apple not having a good office app I suppose is a bit true but they did have Apple Works, Office was huge because of the PC base so thats an irrelevant point of office.

9) Bill doesn't know squat about licenses he hires people for that :-P There is nothing wrong with the Apple Licensing the OS comes pre installed on the damn machine and people buy upgrades its not like windows where someone goes out and builds there own PC and buys a copy of XP to install on it.

Lets do some research before posting totally bogus claims against apple people!

I'd say you really need to stop living in the early 90's and educate yourself about Macs a little more, especially when it comes to upgrades and customization. The only non-standard parts in any Mac desktop for the last 8 years or so would be the motherboard and CPU (and in some ways the case, but that can be worked around). CPU upgrades are readily available from several companies as well for most models as well, going back 10 years or so.

RAM = same as any old PC

Hard Drives = Same

Optical Drives = Same

Cables = Same

Keyboard & Mouse = Same (slightly different key designations, but it still works)

Well the 3 things gamers upgrade the most are videocard, mobo, and processor. And I don't see those three on your list.

You can buy video cards, motherboards, and processor upgrades for the mac. Just like you can for the PC. I was listing hardware thats easily swapable and its a pretty well known thing that if your a gammer your really not going to look at the Mac Platform although mac does have some games.

Everyone pet the troll :rolleyes:

Every single point in that list is untrue except for perhaps overpriced but that is a matter of opinion and where you assign value.

OS/2 = Windows NT

Microsoft's portion of OS/2 IS what became known as NT

Incorrect.

As a former member of the NT 3.1 DevTeam I can categorically state that OS/2 =! NT.

There was parallel development on OS/2 and NT at Microsoft, but both were separate products, projects and codebases. The rift between IBM and Microsoft concerning OS/2 development happened when IBM discovered that Microsoft was developing a Server product (NT Server) that would be in direct competition with OS/2; at that point, IBM took OS/2 away and worked on it themselves, and many of the programmers at Microsoft that were working on OS/2 moved over to the NT Group.

StreetGames - you're 180 degrees off-base on this.

If you want the REAL story behind NT, read "Showstopper!" ShowStopper! at Amazon.com.

I admire people who post content like this, they just don't care how stupid they look or how inaccurate their information is.

Actually wait, no, I just add them to my Ignore list.

RAM = same as any old PC

Hard Drives = Same

Optical Drives = Same

Cables = Same

Well, i'd say you need to read what i wrote dude.

Did i mention "Maybe some parts can be, but some can't."

Yeah.

I wasn't sure, but i did add it in that some can be, now some can mean a lot or just a few.

Now quit your flamming mate.

Incorrect.

As a former member of the NT 3.1 DevTeam I can categorically state that OS/2 =! NT.

There was parallel development on OS/2 and NT at Microsoft, but both were separate products, projects and codebases. The rift between IBM and Microsoft concerning OS/2 development happened when IBM discovered that Microsoft was developing a Server product (NT Server) that would be in direct competition with OS/2; at that point, IBM took OS/2 away and worked on it themselves, and many of the programmers at Microsoft that were working on OS/2 moved over to the NT Group.

StreetGames - you're 180 degrees off-base on this.

If you want the REAL story behind NT, read "Showstopper!" ShowStopper! at Amazon.com.

Does MS also claim the same thing when you accuse them of swiping their early gui OS from Apple?