Slipstream a fully updated version of Win98 SE

I did a friend a favour and gave them a slow old pc of mine to keep in touch with their son while he does 6 months in Aus.

I stuck Linux on it, as it was free, but DAMN it's slow! But it ran fine (for simple stuff) when I had Win98 on it.

So, I figured I wasn't ever going to need that Win98 disk again, so why not install win98 se on their pc.

Except they have a modem, and it would take about 3.5 years to fully update it, plus, IIRC, windows update doesn't support 98se any more?

Anyway, is there something like "autopatcher" or "slipstreaming" where I can take my disk, download a file on my fast connection, and basically install something that will be secure and up-to-date without them dialling up for weeks, or me doing 107 reboots as I apply each patch? Thanks!

Oh, this thought came to me after I saw this post in the XP group. (below)

"kenny" <nope@at.all> wrote in message news:uKKkLK7FGHA.648@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> Microsoft now releases ISO-9660 CD image files that contain all the security

> and critical updates that are released on the Microsoft Windows Update Web

> site for Windows and for other Microsoft products. The ISO image files are

> released at the same time as security and critical updates are released on

> the Windows Update Web site.

>

>

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086

>

> Direct Download:

>

> http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/5...86-200601-1.iso

>

> Kenny www.computerboom.net

What you can do with Win98 is install it onto a spare hard drive on a computer with broadband, do the updates, install office etc and other goodies, then just copy the whole filesystem (Not forgetting Hidden/system files) onto the target drive. Then boot with a DOS floppy and do a fdisk to make sure that partition is set as active, and then do the SYS command to write the bootsector.

You can replicate that install many times onto different machines. Win98 will startup and complain about installing system devices similar to the way the last part of the setup routine does. You'll also have to provide drivers at this point for the different hardware. But at least it will be patched already with IE6 and any other programs you'd need to load.

I don't know of an update cd or autopatcher for win98. The ISO you refer to in the OP is for, from what I understand, new updates only, not the old ones.

BTW Windowsupdate.com does still work for 98 machines, and contains all the current patches, but they only release new patches for stuff that is critical.