Macbook pros - mactels, some impressons / comment

I'm sure almost everyones seen the new macs, but I thought i'de make a thread about it anyway. I have posted this on another forum under the same name, so if you do see it, don't panick.

Some impressions/notes/comments I have made:

1. Base models still don't include enough ram (some may argue, mac os x does not need as much, or needs more though.)

2. Cpu seems very very powerful, and quick as well, I think this was a smart choice for the Imac and macbook.

3. Gpus are quite powerful, an x1600 is nothing to joke about. Although base models only offer 128 mb's of GDDR3, I think it still is impressive. For the price of the imac, it stills pretty reasonable, same goes for laptops, considering most laptops with good gpus atm are quite heavy and expensive.

4. They've switched to sata, what more can I say? Hard drive sizes seem very resaonable.

5. The imac comes not only with the mac keyboard, but the mighty mouse as well (Smart move!)

6. Warranty I believe is still unforteuntly only 1 year, you have to buy more if you want a longer waranty.

7. All sorts of networking built into the imac, everything from bluetooth, to 1 gbps ethernet and 802.11g. In the PC world, it would cost quite a bit of money to buy a good 802.11g wireless card, and bluetooth adapter.

8. Imacs and macbook pros now offer optical audio (Yay, for those of us with a speaker set that has a decoder on them.)

9. Superdrive is now standard ( Woohoo, this was definitley needed, who wants a rig without a dvd burner?)

10. Laptops now have dual link dvi, for those of you who think the 3007fpw or 30 inch cinema display are unreal.

I agree with your comments, the ones that shocked me the most were:

8.) Optical Digital Audio Output (for us sound geeks).

3.) Would've preferred an nVidia 7800 (but they're not available yet, and besides, the X1600 is v.fast).

10.) DVI Powering a 30" :)

/me awaits Intel Mac mini specs

I agree with your comments, the ones that shocked me the most were:

8.) Optical Digital Audio Output (for us sound geeks).

3.) Would've preferred an nVidia 7800 (but they're not available yet, and besides, the X1600 is v.fast).

10.) DVI Powering a 30" :)

/me awaits Intel Mac mini specs

Definitley agreed. A 7800 would bulk down the laptop though, and imagine the damn battery. The only thing I didn't add which worries me is battery life with a dual core.

im thinking of getting a macbook, but heard

the battery isnt as good

the dvd burner isnt dual layer

the cpu isnt 64 bit

this sounds like a placeholder laptop, and i dont feel like spending $2000+ on a place holder :(

the battery isnt as good

the cpu isnt 64 bit

this sounds like a placeholder laptop, and i dont feel like spending $2000+ on a place holder :(

About the battery, nobody knows yet.

How often do you burn dual layer DVDs? I have a DL burner and have never once burned a DL. But the fact that the drive is 4x IS something to worry about though.

The CPU isn't 64 bit, but it is fast as hell. I wouldn't worry about the CPU.

If you consider this a "placeholder" laptop I would venture to say you will be hard pressed to find anything on the market that meets your standard.

the battery isnt as good

the cpu isnt 64 bit

Why do you want a 64bit cpu if there is basically no app for os x that takes advantage of it? and with th intel move I dont think a new one will be created.

It seems like quite a jump forward in CPU speed, but a few jumps back in some areas..

Compared to the last rev powerbook, this one loses:

60 vertical lines of pixels! Yes, the new Macbook screen is 1440x900 vs the Powerbook 1.67ghz's 1440x960. Thats a whole 86,400 pixels lost!

Dual Layer Superdrive. The Macbook only burns single layer.

Modem. Thats right, no more 56k for you!

Firewire 800. Like above, has disappeared.

S-video out. Why did they take this away? I use mine all the time on my powerbook.

Also, i was just browsing the Apple site, did any of you notice some weird stuff on the Macbook's "On every Mac" Page?

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/oneverymac.html

I took screenshots.

"World's most entertaining anti-productivity suite". Huh? Sounds more bad than good.

post-53136-1137124981.png

Also, "old-school UNIX hacking". :p

post-53136-1137125042.png

I think i'l wait for the 64 bit intel chips. Kind of strange that the imac goes from 64bit back to 32bit.

Also, i was just browsing the Apple site, did any of you notice some weird stuff on the Macbook's "On every Mac" Page?

Apple always does this like every year, they are pretty funny :p

It seems like quite a jump forward in CPU speed, but a few jumps back in some areas..

Compared to the last rev powerbook, this one loses:

60 vertical lines of pixels! Yes, the new Macbook screen is 1440x900 vs the Powerbook 1.67ghz's 1440x960. Thats a whole 86,400 pixels lost!

i agree it's a shame...good thing i will also have a secondary display

Dual Layer Superdrive. The Macbook only burns single layer.

I had a dual layer drive for the longest time but never burnt a dual layer dvd.....would love too but the media price is keeping me from doing it

Modem. Thats right, no more 56k for you!

i've been waiting 4 yrs for this....finally!!

Firewire 800. Like above, has disappeared.

S-video out. Why did they take this away? I use mine all the time on my powerbook.

its a shame those 2 are gone....

SVIDEO IS GONE!? WHAT!? I didnt even notice that! omg, thats retarded! :( how else am i gunna output to my big tv and make use of the remote? stupid. stupid. stupid.

Oh and the the poster above that doesnt burn DL, even though you dont burn DL, noone else can even have the OPTION of adding one to the MacBook Pro?

CPU and Video card are great, but can they make up for other weaker parts of the system?

5. The imac comes not only with the mac keyboard, but the mighty mouse as well (Smart move!)

Not really... the "Mighty Mouse" is awful. I've put up with it for months now, but the tracking is just so damn poor, and the thing feels very cheaply made.

8. Imacs and macbook pros now offer optical audio (Yay, for those of us with a speaker set that has a decoder on them.)

It's been in the iMacs since the very beginning, and my 1.67GHz Powerbook has optical audio in/out...

10. Laptops now have dual link dvi, for those of you who think the 3007fpw or 30 inch cinema display are unreal.

Again, already got it on my Powerbook...

"World's most entertaining anti-productivity suite". Huh? Sounds more bad than good.

post-53136-1137124981.png

I think they're making the point that iLife has so many fun applications to play with you wont get any work done....

Not really... the "Mighty Mouse" is awful. I've put up with it for months now, but the tracking is just so damn poor, and the thing feels very cheaply made.

It's been in the iMacs since the very beginning, and my 1.67GHz Powerbook has optical audio in/out...

Again, already got it on my Powerbook...

Have to agree with you on the mighty mouse,

You Powerbook might have either optical in or out (not sure) but i can assure you it only has one of them, the macbook has both ways optical audio.

There havent been mant video cards that can even handle the 30" screens until now- you may have a DVI port, thats not the same as a DUAL LINK DVI port, dont ask me the technicals behinde it, i just know its different from what you have.

bit dissapointed there is no s-video, and it could have been cheaper but i ordered one anyways lol

Given that they had a mini-DVI to svideo adapter for the mini, I imagine they'll sell us a DVI to Svideo one at some point. I am ordering one too, once I get my tax refund.

About the other posts on a 7800. Well, this is a 5.6lb 15" laptop...I don't think they can really dissipate the heat well enough for a faster card.

Have to agree with you on the mighty mouse,

You Powerbook might have either optical in or out (not sure) but i can assure you it only has one of them, the macbook has both ways optical audio.

There havent been mant video cards that can even handle the 30" screens until now- you may have a DVI port, thats not the same as a DUAL LINK DVI port, dont ask me the technicals behinde it, i just know its different from what you have.

I can assure you that my Rev.D Powerbook has both optical inputs, outputs and a dual-link DVI port, as I have used all three.

Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 128MB of DDR SDRAM and dual-link DVI

Audio: Combined analog and optical digital line-in, combined analog and optical digital line-out, stereo speakers, microphone

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html

so now they've released this new super-fast laptop, i take it the prices for slower ibook (mine) and powerbook equipment will quickly drop?

or am i just dreaming.

otherwise i'll keep waiting for a intel ibook (which i'll max out) and use my current one till it's toast.

:no:

so now they've released this new super-fast laptop, i take it the prices for slower ibook (mine) and powerbook equipment will quickly drop?

or am i just dreaming.

otherwise i'll keep waiting for a intel ibook (which i'll max out) and use my current one till it's toast.

:no:

The prices on the G5 Powerbooks may drop, but I doubt the iBook G4 prices will drop until Apple releases a Core Solo based iBook.

I am also quite dissapointed that they don't have svideo, imho that is basic functionality for a Laptop. There might be a dvi to SVideo adapter, but you shouldn't have to pay extra after you have already dropped 2k on a laptop. But then again people are apparently willing to buy crap like Ipod Socks for $30, so I'm sure Apple could make a killing on such an adapter.

it would be the perfect laptop imo, if by february they made it a DL superdrive(like previous pbs) & gave it a killer battery life

64bits doesnt matter... a lot of the "no more dialup","no more svideo","no more 800firewire ports" are just apple pushing standards of technology.... theyre dropping the less used firewire port first,dropping dialup & svideo because theyre ancient history.

i dig the "Combined optical digital input/audio line in (minijack)" (****ing tight)... and i mean,everyones trying to knock the macbook-but its an exceptional piece of hardware.

i really do think a lot of this trash talk is bs.

Why do you want a 64bit cpu if there is basically no app for os x that takes advantage of it? and with th intel move I dont think a new one will be created.

Well the reason you would want a 64-bit CPU is OSX is 64-bit nativly, so is Vista. Sure there are 32-bit versions but 64-bit is the future. Why spend 2k+ on a laptop that cant take advantage of a OS that is comming out at the end of the year. Im not just talking macs but all PCs. Buying a new non 64-bit CPU i think is kinda dumb.

IF it boots XP, then it is an admin's dream. OSX, Linux and XP in one box. No will know until someone tries. Supposedly, there is a emulation layer in the bios, according to the lit. on Intel's site, but who knows.

Well the reason you would want a 64-bit CPU is OSX is 64-bit nativly, so is Vista. Sure there are 32-bit versions but 64-bit is the future. Why spend 2k+ on a laptop that cant take advantage of a OS that is comming out at the end of the year. Im not just talking macs but all PCs. Buying a new non 64-bit CPU i think is kinda dumb.

OSX is not natively 64bit, and I thought that there was a 32bit Vista as well. Please correct me with a link if I am wrong.

Yeah can we get any confirmation that the MacBook Pro's have only 3 hours of battery life.

that's why steve jobs in the keynote did not mention about it :laugh:

OSX is not natively 64bit, and I thought that there was a 32bit Vista as well. Please correct me with a link if I am wrong.

Tiger is natively 64bit in the G5, probably now they have a 32bit version with the intel chip.