Macbook pros - mactels, some impressons / comment

Cool, do they run them in the apple store in a window/box, or full screen? Window really would only make sense.

Well they have them attached to most of the demo machines on display which you can do anything with. So it is up to you whether they are in full screen or in a window. Like I have a friend that has been in Finland for a while and wanted to do a video conference. So I got on one of the PowerMac G5's with a 30 inch display that had the iSight hooked up and started up a conversation. At first we had issues so I got one of the employees to give me a hand.

I take it you have never been to an apple store, lol. They are actually a lot of fun, I suggest you go sometime...

yeah, so I'm still waiting on the battery confirmation and another thing why I won't jump on the bandwagan just yet is because Adobe have yet to announce its full support for Universial Binary. I know it'll come eventually, but running things like Photoshop and Illustrator and the Pro tools (from apple obviously) on Rosetta is just an unbareable thought for me. Quark have already moved, but I'm still waiting on some other major companies...

So I say in about 6 month, I will be ridding my self of my loyal PowerBook for one of these new puppies...

Well they have them attached to most of the demo machines on display which you can do anything with. So it is up to you whether they are in full screen or in a window. Like I have a friend that has been in Finland for a while and wanted to do a video conference. So I got on one of the PowerMac G5's with a 30 inch display that had the iSight hooked up and started up a conversation. At first we had issues so I got one of the employees to give me a hand.

I take it you have never been to an apple store, lol. They are actually a lot of fun, I suggest you go sometime...

Only one in Canada, and I've been in it numerous times, and some in America too. Never really played around with the laptops though, too many little kids crowded around them and making comments when I touched them.

NeoXY, what do you do in Photoshop? It runs fairly well in Rosetta for me. It isn't as fast as native on a G5 (in my opinion), but it seems fast enough if you're used to it on a G4 anyway. Rosetta is a lot better than I would expect it to be anyway.

Why do you want a 64bit cpu if there is basically no app for os x that takes advantage of it? and with th intel move I dont think a new one will be created.

tiger os x took care of 64 bit. all in all Im believing the rumours that more intel is coming v. soon when intel has a chance to ramp up its chips production (feb). If the new mac minis are speced remotely close to the lappy ill mos' def be picking up one of them. i miss mac but my 2005fpw is gratification enough.

I was extremely disappointed with the iMac. Although I may never use a 64-bit application for the next 10 years, it would have been nice to have that option. There was no need to update the iMac - Apple should have waited for the Merom chip from Intel so the iMac's could stay 64-bit. But it's not just that. Technically the iMac is the first Mac in history to feature an Intel chip; I was expecting a radical new design and impressive new specs/features - instead we got the same computer with the same design (which frankly is starting to get old) and the same specs/features (the only difference is the processor). Thank god Apple are still selling the iMac G5's - I'd choose a G5 model over the Core Duo's any day.

The MacBook Pro on the other hand completely blew me away; what an amazing machine!! The MagSafe is pure genius; I've surprised that nobody else thought of this before. The iSight, although predictable, is also a great feature. Front Row: again, a great addition. My only complaints are the name and the price, but otherwise it's the best Mac Apple have done in quite a while.

tiger os x took care of 64 bit. all in all Im believing the rumours that more intel is coming v. soon when intel has a chance to ramp up its chips production (feb). If the new mac minis are speced remotely close to the lappy ill mos' def be picking up one of them. i miss mac but my 2005fpw is gratification enough.

It has -very- limited 64bit support. Basically, it is limited to terminal apps (Mathematica spawns a background process for the 64bit component). None of the GUI is 64bits.

i think the largest injustice is..

that the nice shiny dual core cpu..

IS ONLY 32BIT!

wtf?

a 32bit dual core !=/> a dual core 64bit cpu, or even a single core 64bit cpu.

and this isnt essentially apple's fault. (it is but it isnt, they wanted to rush this to market, to bump stock, among other things)

so yeah.

im waiting til intel's next mobile cpu that comes out, is dual core, 64bit.

so yeah.

I like how all these people are crying about not having a 64bit processor when there are no applications that take advantage of it. Must me one of those "e-penis" situations.

I was extremely disappointed with the iMac. Although I may never use a 64-bit application for the next 10 years, it would have been nice to have that option. There was no need to update the iMac - Apple should have waited for the Merom chip from Intel so the iMac's could stay 64-bit. But it's not just that. Technically the iMac is the first Mac in history to feature an Intel chip; I was expecting a radical new design and impressive new specs/features - instead we got the same computer with the same design (which frankly is starting to get old) and the same specs/features (the only difference is the processor). Thank god Apple are still selling the iMac G5's - I'd choose a G5 model over the Core Duo's any day.

The MacBook Pro on the other hand completely blew me away; what an amazing machine!! The MagSafe is pure genius; I've surprised that nobody else thought of this before. The iSight, although predictable, is also a great feature. Front Row: again, a great addition. My only complaints are the name and the price, but otherwise it's the best Mac Apple have done in quite a while.

I agree, the magSafe came out of nowhere.. it was an awesome addition

if you read the fine print at the bottom you'll see this

Update: There's a discussion going on in the comments as to the price on the Acer. Currently, different sources are quoting two different prices: $1999 and $2499. I don't know which one is correct yet and could not find that information on the Acer site.

from the shopping around i've done im almost 100% sure it's 2499 and not 1999

What about the vid card though? Btw, I didn't like the recent Imac designs, the G3 one I think it was, appeared quite cool. They need to redo it though. I'de pay as much as a grand for a mac mini with similiar specs to these computers, espically if they could fit in a killer gpu and good sound support. A portorable gaming machine that wasn't a shuttle would be crazy.

What's new about the wideo card? I didn't know they changed that.

The vid card in the new iMacs is an ATI X1600 as opposed to a X600 (i think). Its almost the top-of-the-range vid card from ATI. The same goes for the X1600 in the MacBook Pros. ;)

The vid card in the new iMacs is an ATI X1600 as opposed to a X600 (i think). Its almost the top-of-the-range vid card from ATI. The same goes for the X1600 in the MacBook Pros. ;)

X600 was crap, but the X1600 I would think is quite adequate and fit for any game that could even run on the Mac OS.

X600 was crap, but the X1600 I would think is quite adequate and fit for any game that could even run on the Mac OS.

IIRC, X600 = 9700 + PCI-E. The X1000 series is the newer, faster R520 core.

im going to be getting a macbook pro, but had one concern. I know some people mentioned that their G4 Powerbooks dont get the best reception because of the metal casing, will this same problem come up do you think with the macbook pros? it is a posibility.

Anyways, my real question is, for all you G4 owners out there... Can u please think of any problem/gripes you have that needed to be addressed before the next itteration of the Powerbook (in this cae macbook) come out?

Also as long as im asking, and dont want to start a new thread... I need the macbook for photoshop, and final cut pro. I know that both these wont be native by time time the macbook comes out and im willing to take a hit on performance, until then, but how do i run the older PPC coded versions? some program called rosetta? how does that work? is it easy to use? I need this for work and i dont want anything to go wrong.

Also i have used OSX like once in my life (a college course which i went to once and skipped frequently cause the prof was so flaky)- anyways, how hard is it to learn OSX? How will it interact with my current PC network? How is the compatibility of photoshop/illustrator and flash files between both platforms?

In your opinion, what are some of the most basic essential programs to have for osx? and why?

THANKS!!!!!! :)

I have heard Final Cut Pro will not run on intels (under Rosetta) at all until the universal binary is released in March.

so say you're getting a macbook, you'll only have to wait 1 month (maybe less since we dont know when the macbooks are going to be shipping, my macbook order shows feb 15th.....i sure hope ill get it sooner)

so say you're getting a macbook, you'll only have to wait 1 month (maybe less since we dont know when the macbooks are going to be shipping, my macbook order shows feb 15th.....i sure hope ill get it sooner)

My order says shipping on the 15th too! :D Yes, according to Steve, the universal binaries for pro apps will be out in March.

im going to be getting a macbook pro, but had one concern. I know some people mentioned that their G4 Powerbooks dont get the best reception because of the metal casing, will this same problem come up do you think with the macbook pros? it is a posibility.

Anyways, my real question is, for all you G4 owners out there... Can u please think of any problem/gripes you have that needed to be addressed before the next itteration of the Powerbook (in this cae macbook) come out?

Also as long as im asking, and dont want to start a new thread... I need the macbook for photoshop, and final cut pro. I know that both these wont be native by time time the macbook comes out and im willing to take a hit on performance, until then, but how do i run the older PPC coded versions? some program called rosetta? how does that work? is it easy to use? I need this for work and i dont want anything to go wrong.

Also i have used OSX like once in my life (a college course which i went to once and skipped frequently cause the prof was so flaky)- anyways, how hard is it to learn OSX? How will it interact with my current PC network? How is the compatibility of photoshop/illustrator and flash files between both platforms?

In your opinion, what are some of the most basic essential programs to have for osx? and why?

THANKS!!!!!! :)

does anyone have any answers to my above questions from my last post?

Can u please think of any problem/gripes you have that needed to be addressed before the next itteration of the Powerbook

• The "lines" in the last revision of the powerbook have got to go
  • When they're running normally they're nice and quiet, when they heat up the fan is scary: keep it off the sheets of your bed.
  • Struggles on 1080p H.264 (what doesn't?)
  • Battery life doesn't seem as nice as the TiBooks had.
  • Wireless reception not nearly as good as the iBook

I'm speaking here with my experience with the 15" Powerbook purchased mid-december.

but how do i run the older PPC coded versions? some program called rosetta? how does that work? is it easy to use? I need this for work and i dont want anything to go wrong.

The exact same way you would launch a normal application, no special attention required.

how hard is it to learn OSX?

How hard is it to learn how to sing? Doesn't that depend more on your ability to learn than anything else?

At my previous job I was able to teach mentally disabled children enough of OS X to get around so I have every confidence that you can make it go.

How will it interact with my current PC network?

Sharing files works flawlessly in simple networks and OS X behaves fairly well on active-directory networks too. The cheapest of the cheap dell color network laser printers (and others too I imagine) cannot be accessed from OS X. Anything with a proper postscript implementation works fine without special attention. It plays well with NFS and opendirectory servers as well. Exchange with Entourage kinda sucks. It works, but not terribly well.

How is the compatibility of photoshop/illustrator and flash files between both platforms?

Our graphics design department is split 60/35 with Mac/PC users, the file formats are identical.

There are already threads dedicated to this at the top of this forum.

I have a question. Any cool packet sniffing/ basic hacking utilities available for MAC OS X? I mean, old school UNIX hacking was the damn best, and Linux hacking is what you got to use now. Some packet sniffers, and basic utilities would be awesome.