Probe to Pluto set for launch

(CNN) -- If all goes as planned, NASA will launch a space probe called New Horizons next week to capture the first up-close imagery of Pluto, its moons and a region of the outer solar system called the Kuiper Belt.

Liftoff of the spacecraft atop a Lockheed Martin Atlas V rocket is set for 1:24 p.m. ET Tuesday from the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.

New Horizons will have a long road to travel -- some 3 billion miles. NASA's best-case scenario is that the trip to Pluto will take almost 10 years -- a long wait for the scientists and engineers who have designed the mission, but they say the payoff will be worth it.

Scientists think these bodies are debris left over from the formation of the planets 4.6 billion years ago. Researchers theorized for decades that such an area probably existed in the solar system, but the first Kuiper Belt Object was not identified until 1992.

Since then, hundreds have been found, some quite large. Planetary astronomers now believe Pluto is a Kuiper Belt Object.

About the size of a baby grand piano, New Horizons will be the fastest spacecraft ever to depart Earth, according to NASA. It will pass the moon in nine hours and will reach Jupiter in a little more than a year, the space agency says.

If all goes as planned, it then will execute a so-called "gravity assist" maneuver, using Jupiter as a slingshot to pick up speed. From there, it will take nine more years traveling in more or less a straight line to Pluto.

With the spacecraft containing 24 pounds of radioactive plutonium-238, the New Horizons launch is somewhat controversial.

The craft is not directly nuclear-powered, but the decay of the plutonium generates heat to fuel a battery, which in turn will power the probe as it moves far away from the sun to the outer reaches of the solar system.

full story

And the nail will finally be in the coffin about the existence of pluto as a planet or a Kuiper Belt Object. Exciting times, i must say. And hopefully we will get some awesome pictures of Jupiter as it passes by it.

(CNN) -- NASA is set to launch a space probe called New Horizons Tuesday to capture the first up-close imagery of Pluto, its moons and a region of the outer solar system called the Kuiper Belt.

Liftoff of the spacecraft atop a Lockheed Martin Atlas V rocket is set for 1:24 p.m. ET from the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.

source: cnn.com

This is pretty exciting indeed, as we go further the more of our solar system's knowlege will be unlocked, i think it will be 1800 GMT time, i'll be watching nasatv hehe.

And yes I hope we will see some wonderfull pictures.