I want to make a pc intranet only...

Don't plug it into the internet? Install a firewall that blocks all data from off your subnet.

I need it to work in my home network just dont need it to go online. Is there an easier way of doing this without setting up a firewall?

unplug it from the internet - of set IE to use a proxy server that doesnt exist...

You should leave it connected though, just disable access, 'cos you need to update antivirus etc...

This might sound a little simple, but can't you just set the IP and subnet mask of the computer appropriately for the network and leave the gateway and dns blank? If it doesn't know where to go for the outside, world, it's never going to get there. Suppose it's more of an 'ideal world' solution though.

I would imagine you could do this somehow with the route command. This command modifies your computer's routing table. What you would need to do is put in a route for your LAN's subnet(s) and then create a default route that routes everything else to 127.0.0.1.

This might sound a little simple, but can't you just set the IP and subnet mask of the computer appropriately for the network and leave the gateway and dns blank? If it doesn't know where to go for the outside, world, it's never going to get there. Suppose it's more of an 'ideal world' solution though.

(Y)

Disconnecting the connection wouldnt help as I want the box to communicate with my pcs. I have my reasons for this setup :)

Anyway, removing the ips for the gateway and dns server did the trick. For some reason, I didn't think XP would allow me to set the nic without them. I guess I sould have tried

Thanks guys