• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

windows 2000 install question

mistical    36

Okay, I have a dell windows 2000 + sp2 real disk, but my custom made computer is well not a dell, is there a way i can get it to install? when i boot it up it says "This software is licensed to Dell Computers Only" or something...

or if you're are not allowed to answer that...

when i put in the disk to install windows 2000, my current OS is xp pro right now, so it says "This CD-ROM is from an older version of Windows than the one you are presently using. Setup functionality from this disk will be disabled." -- any way i can stop this and just install it?

OPaul    0

You could try looking through the cd and coping anything in the I386 folder into your HD. If there is no I386 folder search for setup.exe and check the properties and make sure it is by microsoft and not dell computers, then copy anything in that directory to your HD. Then install from there.

Do you want to dual-boot or replace?

mistical    36

I've also tried using the boot disk, but when i get done running all 4 of them, and it tells me to insert the cd, it then says I don't have any hard disks, or something like that, when I do...heh (2 of them working properly)

mistical    36
Originally posted by OPaul

You could try looking through the cd and coping anything in the I386 folder into your HD. If there is no I386 folder search for setup.exe and check the properties and make sure it is by microsoft and not dell computers, then copy anything in that directory to your HD. Then install from there.

Do you want to dual-boot or replace?

I want to just reformat my first hard drive, which I'm using at the moment, and just have it have a fresh install of windows 2000 pro.. and I'll try what you said.

OPaul    0

Make a bootdisk with format.com and fdisk.com on. Try http://www.bootdisk.com.

Then run fdisk to create the partition and format to format it.

Maxious    0
Okay, I have a dell windows 2000 + sp2 real disk, but my custom made computer is well not a dell, is there a way i can get it to install? when i boot it up it says "This software is licensed to Dell Computers Only" or something...
I think when i looked @ the dell disks they do a bios check and either do (depending on the disk) a norton ghost job (what mine did :( ) or a setup. if you get the setup then your in luck becuase you can just use a boot disk with cd-rom support and goto the setup folder and run setup.exe
when i put in the disk to install windows 2000, my current OS is xp pro right now, so it says "This CD-ROM is from an older version of Windows than the one you are presently using. Setup functionality from this disk will be disabled." -- any way i can stop this and just install it?

same thing its just saying that it can't upgrade and you wouldn't ever want to go back would you ;) If your lucky (with computers theres a load of luck involved) you have a more expensive full install disk (such as the nice dell one) and can just do what i said above

mistical    36

Well I got a disk from a friend now, and when it goes to install, like the options to pics (install 2000, repair, or quit) i choose install, and then it says i don't have any hard disks, and to check if they are properly put in and all that junk, which they are cause im using it right now.

If I were to format this drive, so its clean without xp pro, then went and tried it again, would it find it?

Also if yes is the case, should i format by just right clicking the C:, going to format, then starting? i've never tried it that way or had to do something like this... so i'm not sure yet :x

OPaul    0

You probaly have a hard drive controller that requires the drivers be loaded into the 2000 setup program. Some UDMA66 or 100 chipsets require this as do SCSI drives. You'll need to find a disk that came with the computer that says something like UDMA drivers. It may be by Highpoint, they make UDMA chipsets. Once you have this disk press F6 as soon as the setup problem starts and says it loading all the other drivers.

EzNoW    0

u cant right click c: and do format if ur os is on it, u'll have to use a bootdisk and do it from there

mistical    36

oh ok, well i just installed windows 2000 on another OLD COMPUTER (about 6+ years old) and it worked fine... and for my custom built computer... a year and a half old it doesn't install cause it can't find any hard disk drives... which is bs, cause it's all connected properly, i don't know... just annoying... got people here i'd think would help alittle more, thanks for the people that have replied but yea... guess not

The Rail Gunner    0

I have a similar problem. I have a Dell Latitude CPx J650GT with Windows XP and 128MB of RAM. I know it would run faster on 2000, but XP won't let me install it. I tried copying all of the files to the hard drive and running setup.exe, but XP gives me the same message. My computer doesn't have a floppy drive, and can't burn CD's (but can copy data off of them just fine), so using a boot disk is out of the question. Is there a way to enable setup functionality for an older OS on XP (I intend to do a standalone installation, so I don't royally screw up XP)?

Barney T.    2,322

Old, old thread.... closed