Nero Burning Rom Alternatives

Well after seeing all information from all. I am unable to decide which one is the best. :cry:

Presently i am using Nero Premium 7. But recently i was also using Roxio Easy Media Creator. I am facing problems particularly when burning DVD's.

Which one would be the best for burning DVD's :blush:

Well after seeing all information from all. I am unable to decide which one is the best. :cry:

Presently i am using Nero Premium 7. But recently i was also using Roxio Easy Media Creator. I am facing problems particularly when burning DVD's.

Which one would be the best for burning DVD's :blush:

If you are happy with NERO stick with it, if not try Prassi Ones.

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased Ashampoo Burning Studio 6.2.0 SE and I LOVE it. My cd for Easy CD Creator broke so I needed something. What can I use for music editing? Like Roxios Sound Editor? I make ringtones and need something.

I use the Nero that came with my disk drives. Hasn't failed me yet. I don't need the latest greatest versions of Nero. To me Nero has worked the best. I've tried others, hell I've relied on XP at times. LOL

Excellent guide, Copernic! I'm going to try out these alternatives since Nero actually crashes my PC more times then any other app. I think its time for me to go with a faster power user burning app. Thanks for the reviews!

I use CD Burner XP Pro on Windows and K3b on Linux.

The only problem I have, is that DVD movies recorded with CD Burner XP Pro are not playable on home DVD players, but only on computers (or I miss some setting for making them playable).

Edited by nickg78

Hallo everybody !

I would be happy with nero (well...) if I had the answer to these questions :

1) Is it only possible to preview one track at a time in an audio compilation ? It would be quite useful to be able to preview a number of selected tracks at once (as was the case with ECDC). Otherwise one has to set up the compilation in the form of a playlist on some media player, which is awkward and results in errors. At least a slider should be available - as the whole point is to see how the end of a track matches with the beginning of another, and at the current state of the program (no slider) one has to wait for the track to finish.

2) Is it possible to see which tracks one had put in an audio compilation after the files are moved/deleted (as is the case with data CDs where the moved/deleted items are displayed with a small red X in front of them) ?

When you open such an audio compilation nero kindly removes those files - for reasons unknown.

Compilations one has made are a good source of inspiration for future ones. Again this was possible with ECDC.

3) Is it possible to customize the way filenames are displayed in an audio compilation ? I would like to see the full file name (or path) displayed so I can recognise the file - the "artist-title" scheme is not useful when you name a file "Track 10" or "Symphony 5 allegro".

After reading this thread I downloaded a trial version of gear pro - it didnt do 1 & 2 either (it had a slider but it's not enough really). So which cd authoring program does ?

Please - these are elemetary requirements ! I repeat : ECDC, win98 they were there.

Thank you for your time :)

PS I liked gear's minimalistic interface.

PS2 Thanks Copernic :)

(Nero 7.0.2.8., Gear 7.00.16)

Personally I just use the older version of Nero, works as well as ever.

Agreed, I was keeping up with the lastest versions of Nero, but that huge download is crazy for apps I don't use.

Tried Nero Lite and Nero Micro, those packs work great, but I'm currently running Nero 6.6.1.4, still works great as ever.

Ashampoo Burning Studio is good, easy to understand interface, runs flawlessly.

NTI CD&DVD Maker, use to be good, but has gone down the route as Nero, bloating with lots of apps that aren't used.

• 1 month later...

Any of the free programs do a CD or DVD directly to ISO? Not the same as dragging a bunch of files from the DVD to make an ISO... an actual image?

Imgburn and Deepburner are not capable of this.

Thanks!

Any of the free programs do a CD or DVD directly to ISO? Not the same as dragging a bunch of files from the DVD to make an ISO... an actual image?

Imgburn and Deepburner are not capable of this.

Thanks!

Go to MagicIso site. They have a free utility called Magic Disk. It is virtual CD rom as also can create and save an iso image. You can burn it with SCDWriter. Its free too & VERY reliable. In fact I have gotten away from Nero altogether. No installation required. Fully portable. V1.22 is the last translated version. I use cdimage.exe or mkisofs when Optimisation may be needed to save disc space. I can't remember the command line so I simply copy paste from Bart's PE compilation log & make necessary changes to it.

Edited by pmshah

• 4 weeks later...

Went to Ashampoo Burning Studio 6.5. Can't stand Nero now and it's >100MB size, can't be stuffed waiting for the Micro/Mini version either. Plus it works better in Vista for me.

Well I was happy with Nero 6.6.1.4 until I got Vista Ultimate, so I had to choose another one since Nero 6.6.1.4 isnt compatable with it.

I went for Ashampoo Burning Studio 6.50 and promptly bought the licence key for $29.99 IIRC, and really wish I hadnt :(

It has never successfully erased a CD/DVD RW for me. There is always an error. Nero 6 had no problem, and Vista has no problem, but this program cant do it (N)

I also tried burning some of my DRM'd WMA's to a CD, and ripping some music. This program couldnt do it. Windows Media Player could do it, Nero 6 could do it, but again, this program cant (N)

However, this program did successfully copy a CD for me! Huzzah! \o/ :D so it has 1 redeeming quality.

So, after spending on $29.99 on a "Nero Replacement" i'm left with Erasing CD/DVD's in Vista, Burning/Ripping Music in Vista, and using this program to copy CD's/DVD's and make data CD's DVD's

I'm very disappointed in it. Quite frankly, much of the promised features either dont work, or dont work as advertised :(