holy crap dude

Lucky dude. Can't they make the blades not sharp enough to cut through flesh?

No, the sharp edges are what give you the grip to turn on the ice, it can't be changed. I've never had an incident where I've encountered a blade, but it's things like that (which I have seen before) that really do scare you. I've been pretty lucky on the ice. The worst thing that's ever happened to me was taking a slapshot into the unpadded area on my bicep. I had a big purple bruise there but it wasn't too bad.

The NHL was stupid not to have players wear neck protectors before this. The puck could have hit him and also ended his life.

Hockey is possibly the most dangerous major game. The blades on the skaters, the hard puck going at 100MPH+ many times during a game, the crashes between a player, you and the boards....the list goes on.

The NHL still doesn't require neckguards. In fact, USA Hockey (governing body of all hockey in USA) doesn't even require them...although many individual leagues do (Little Ceasars Amatuer Hockey League, for example here in Detroit).

I remember seeing that way back.. when I was young playing in peewee a kid had his finger cut off when someone stepped on his hand...

Borje Salming of the leafs had more then 300 stitches on his face (from forehead to chin) as he got stepped on by Gerard Gallant.. should be a picture of it somewhere out there as it was front page in all the newspapers here in toronto..

From Salmings book:

"...When Finley finished at about 2 a.m. (he started stitching at 11am), Salming had some 300 stitches crisscrossing his forehead, past his eye, across his nose, back under his eye, down his cheek and to the corner of his mouth. In the morning, he took off his bandage and looked in the mirror."

Edited by Captain Caveman

man, that is a lot of blood.

I remember when I was playing peewee hockey. I was getting a lot of cuts on my equipment from blades and I thought that was a big deal ...