Tesseract & past mod decisions

I'm going to be completely frank with all of you. I am getting ****ed off at groups of members openly questioning the decisions of the moderators who are themselves Neowin members and have contributed far more than most members here.

We have outlined a simple ruleset, so simple it fits on 4 lines but I can assure you all that this ruleset will be adjusted per forum once we have the ability because members are having difficulty abiding even the most basic and decent rules. That problem with Neowins server didn't last long before a group of members forgot about how close knit this community is to go and flame one another resulting in the temporary banning of a long term member.

If you thought long term members are immune to the rules they are not. Not even moderators are immune and we have shown this.

I think I will have to review a new guideline that members who publically question the actions of moderators have their threads deleted and the member in question placed on a warning. If you are concerned about a decision a moderator has made you may do 2 things: PM the moderator in question or PM an admin Moderators simply do not ban, they also have to explain WHY the person was banned on the staff area of this board. I think most long term members know we have been more than lenient many a time.

I will leave this thread open so you may reflect on these words.

Yup i agree too.

Without the mods and the admins this site wouldnt be what it is today so you guys do what you have to do, im sure 99.999999% of neowinians will be 100% right behind you.

Cheers.

I wish to say a few things here.

First of all, the decision to ban Tesseract was not taken lightly. It was a culmination of circumstances and events that have lead to this final decision.

It is pointless arguing over it. Creating petitions and harrassing the staff will not aid the situation because, ultimately it is our decision. In this case, it was my decision and I stand by it.

I believe i acted within reason and that i was fair and just.

Regardless of who started the arguments it seems to me that had Cody chosen to ignore the remarks made by a member than all of this could have been avoided. If someone is intentionally trying to stir you into action, than it is advisable to ignore this person or report it to a moderator. By responding in the way that Cody did, served only to inflame the situation and gave the aggrivator what he wanted. In this case, to see Cody land himself in hot water.

I will remind you all that there are far better ways to deal with harrassment on the boards than to openly retalliate and run the risk of a warning or ban. It is our job to deal with these issues after all. Something else i wanted to comment on was abuse through PM. This also falls under our ruleset.

If a member chooses to take the fight to PM and is hostile and victimizing than it becomes the business of neowin staff. In this case, Cody made several disparaging remarks to another member and this was reported to me. I acted as is required of a neowin moderator.

What you do not know is that i have talked privately with Cody over IM chat and discussed the incident with him. Cody told me he accepted my decision and agreed with me, that it would be best he take some time away to compose himself.

I will not stand for my decisions being openly questioned on the forums. When a member first breaks the rules we issue a warning. The second incidence often results in a ban. Such is the case with Cody. A previous offense was already marked against his account so it was the next logical choice to be made. He has proven to possess something of a fierce temperment at times, and has on numerous noted occassions been the source of many a heated dispute.

It is my belief that some time away from neowin is what Cody needs to cool down and rethink his behavior if he is to rejoin the community.

Nevertheless, Cody is a valued member of the community and his contributions shall be missed. In the mean time please keep in mind that this is a temporary ban only.

I thank you for your time. If you have further questions or comments then feel free to get in contact.

Keldyn

Forum Super Moderator

www.neowin.net

Originally posted by prick

Yup i agree too.

Without the mods and the admins this site wouldnt be what it is today so you guys do what you have to do, im sure 99.999999% of neowinians will be 100% right behind you.

And what would neowin be without us, the people? absolutely nothing.

Personally I'm a little fed up with this place as it seems like I cant even say one word without being yelled at.

Originally posted by sp00nman

Personally I'm a little fed up with this place as it seems like I cant even say one word without being yelled at.

prick has a point. out of all our members, maybe only 10-15 people complain. It always seems to be the same 10-15 people too. If you don't like us, why do you keep coming back?

The complainers are always the loudest because the happy ones don't say anything.

Again, mis-information, why don't you tell our members that I "yelled" (actually I PM'd him) at you for your sig citing support for a "Unban Tesseract club"

It's funny you did all this without even knowing why the guy was banned and without knowing that I and other staff have already emailed and spoken to tesseract after all this has happened and we are agreed on the action taken (in his case that is)

Moderators and admins are also a part of Neowin and have the responsibility to keep the peace, if members go at each and start citing and forcing their beliefs on another its our duty to stop it. Let us do our job and you wont have to worry.

Now how many admins come out and explain that in detail huh? I am trying to be helpful here.

Originally posted by Neobond

Now how many admins come out and explain that in detail huh? I am trying to be helpful here.

and you're doing a good job. this sort of thread should have been started when cody was banned to give the community the "inside information" to the situation.

Originally posted by lazydesert

and you're doing a good job. this sort of thread should have been started when cody was banned to give the community the "inside information" to the situation.

Umm, why? Mods and admins don't ban for fun, or for no reason at all. There are explainations needed and proof. This shouldn't, and doesn't concern members not involved. It's pretty simple really.

I didnt disagree with the temporary ban, only pondered why he was the only one to go ;)

but yeah, people questioning mods is getting quite tiresome and annoying...especially when hey openly target one person for doing what he/she saw fit.

Originally posted by lazydesert

well tbh its none of members business.. Its also quite shameful to have your name posted as banned when maybe 3/4's of the community don't even know the guy..

On the other hand. if friends or contacts of the banned person want to know why they can always PM me or another member of staff. The information is not classified its just that we don't want to create public ridicule.

My problem is that some members will openly start a flamewar against the moderators decision for something they assume and dont know for sure. This is wrong just like any "fan club" about unbanning a member here on Neowin is quite childish when the person who thought it up didnt even bother to PM or mail a staff member first for any type of confirmation LOL.

Originally posted by Neobond

Again, mis-information, why don't you tell our members that I "yelled" (actually I PM'd him) at you for your sig citing support for a "Unban Tesseract club"

It's funny you did all this without even knowing why the guy was banned and without knowing that I and other staff have already emailed and spoken to tesseract after all this has happened and we are agreed on the action taken (in his case that is)

Moderators and admins are also a part of Neowin and have the responsibility to keep the peace, if members go at each and start citing and forcing their beliefs on another its our duty to stop it. Let us do our job and you wont have to worry.

You misinterpret everything I say and I'm tired of it. Obviously I'm in a no-win situation here, because whatever I say will just be shadowed by your "authority." You see... the situation isnt just about cody, it's about freedom of speech. I should be allowed to say something without being banned, as long as it isnt harassment. All I was doing was supporting the idea of bringing Cody back, but you came in an immediately shut my opinion down. That's wrong, and it certainly isn't freedom. What happened to freedom of speech?

Your pm comments weren't helpful, they were just very insulting.

You misinterpret everything I say and I'm tired of it. Obviously I'm in a no-win situation here, because whatever I say will just be shadowed by your "authority." You see... the situation isnt just about cody, it's about freedom of speech. I should be allowed to say something without being banned, as long as it isnt harassment. All I was doing was supporting the idea of bringing Cody back, but you came in an immediately shut my opinion down. That's wrong, and it certainly isn't freedom. What happened to freedom of speech?

Your pm comments weren't helpful, they were just very insulting.

freedom of speach? this is the damn internet where there are no laws!!! :evil:

All I was doing was supporting the idea of bringing Cody back...

Even though you have no idea why he was banned?

You know... this thread is getting a bit out of control. Instead of "expressing your opinion about this ban," this thread has turned to a flamewar and I'd suggest closing it before it gets even more out of control.

/me ducks and hopes that he doesn't get flamed.