Tesseract & past mod decisions

Originally posted by Dazzla

Even though you have no idea why he was banned?

Believe me, I have a pretty good understanding of what happened. Again, it's not about Tess anymore it's about me feeling as though my word is restricted here. I know I've caused some hostile situations, and I'm sorry for all of them. That's why I've decided to leave temporarily so that I can think about it and come back later.

Originally posted by sp00nman

You misinterpret everything I say and I'm tired of it. Obviously I'm in a no-win situation here, because whatever I say will just be shadowed by your "authority." You see... the situation isnt just about cody, it's about freedom of speech. I should be allowed to say something without being banned, as long as it isnt harassment. All I was doing was supporting the idea of bringing Cody back, but you came in an immediately shut my opinion down. That's wrong, and it certainly isn't freedom. What happened to freedom of speech?

Your pm comments weren't helpful, they were just very insulting.

You forgot to add the bit where Neowin decides if we want that. This isn't a democracy its a windows technology site run by me and our staff followed by our members, there are guidlines and one of these are that members don't get to decide who is banned or not, thats for staff and the owners to decide.

When you have your own community you will see that this works better than 1000's of members demanding reason for any staff action.

Keldyn, I couldn't agree with you more, in fact, i stated as much in the second baseball strike thread. It really is quite simple. If you go back and look at the threads where members were banned, quite often the banning could have been avoided if the people involved would have just stepped back, thought about what was being said, and simply ignored it. The thread where the problems with Tesseract occured is a perfect example. The thread had become a mudslinging contest and neither side seemed willing to back off. If one of them had backed off, this whole mess wouldn't have occured.

Also, while the Neowin community wouldn't exist without its members, it also wouldn't exist without the efforts of the Admins and mods, as we recently have found out. It would probably be less of a headache for Neobond, Redmak, etc to pack up their toys and go home, but they choose not to and i'm grateful.

The rules also seem pretty simple, but they seem to have to be repeated over and over, even though they are posted everywhere. Look, it's simple, if you have a problem, contact them in private. If a thread is getting out of control, report it to a moderator. If you are involved in the thread and the heat is starting to rise, take a break and think about what you are going to post, or ignore the thread altogether.

This has nothing to do with being able to accept criticism or being politically correct, it has to do with having courtesy for your fellow members. This is a place to freely exchange thoughts and ideas. You don't have to verbally club someone over the head if they disagree with you.

Originally posted by Neobond

You forgot to add the bit where Neowin decides if we want that. This isn't a democracy its a windows technology site run by me and our staff followed by our members, there are guidlines and one of these are that members don't get to decide who is banned or not, thats for staff and the owners to decide.

While I fully agree with your statements and decisions you expressed in the first post of this thread, the one I quoted looks a bit like Joseph Vissanovic... ;)

Originally posted by Keldyn

I will remind you all that there are far better ways to deal with harrassment on the boards than to openly retalliate and run the risk of a warning or ban. It is our job to deal with these issues after all. Something else i wanted to comment on was abuse through PM. This also falls under our ruleset.

The best statement I've ever read, I fully agree.

I'm with the '1337 Koala Hunter' and Neobond on this;) . They made the right choice. The Neowin ocmmunity isn't about hatred racism and harraassing eople....It's about love and flowers blooming(just kidding :p)...It's are word agianst theirs, who will win? Them. No need to fight on if the decision was right or wrong, they made what they felt was right. Lets hope it works out the problem and he comes back....

As for Spoonman, i understand what you're tyring to say..., but this is the internet, freedom of speech here is just follow the rules:P. Maybe Neobond does take it to seriously, but he's doing what he feels is right to make Neowin the way it is today. About your sig, he probably sen toyu a pm because he felt that wasn't the right thing to do. The admins and mods made a decision of what they felt was right. There was no need for that sig, but hey...if that's your opinion then so be it.

Cody was banned because of what he said and how he reacted to the sitiuation. If he had taken it slighter and not have responded to the reamrks of IguanaRob and ToxikK then he would have been banned, but a temparary ban was the right thing to do. Tessw ill hopefully ocme back soon and forget about what happened. So until then, lets stop this nonsense and flames between the admins, mods, and Neowin members. Lets join hands again and be what we once were, friends willing to help each other

KrypToniK

codyg11 has shared with me a public apology that he would like me to post (and I found it postworthy). I would like to apologize in advance if anyone finds this link inappropriate, but please give this a read and accept his apologies. The reason that he might not return is the following fear:

If what I have to look forward to is more flames, or if you want me to leave forever, then this is the last you will ever hear from me again.

http://www.alltel.net/~sunnyy4/codyg11.htm (no ads)

Original link: http://members.lycos.co.uk/codyg11/neowin/...ss_thoughts.htm

Again, I apologize if anyone finds this inappropriate. Otherwise, please accept his apologies, let him take his time-out of Neowin, and move on to other posts. There are people asking us for help while we are in this thread. As someone stated, to avoid being banned, think about what you wrote before hitting the "Submit Reply" button and if you look back and made a mistake, that's what the delete post button is for.

Cheers, everyone. Keep up the good work, Neobond...

Originally posted by sunnyy4

There are people asking us for help while we are in this thread.

Like ME :p (check the web programming and software discussion forums)

[ /shameless attempt at getting some help ]

ok now...

this situation stinks badly!

i agree with the banning of Tess (cody) and the desicisions Keldyn and Mr. Magoo had to ban him but i find it in the least just human stupidity that Toxikk wasn't also banned! (i have nothing against him)

i just want the rules to be adressed to EVERYONE and not just SOME!

he made some hatefull posts where basically he called Tess a ###### and a whiner...

now does that not deserve the same treatment ???

the mods/admins are wrong and right! i agree with a part and disagree with another that that may be very clear.

Originally posted by use_imagination

ok now...

this situation stinks badly!

i agree with the banning of Tess (cody) and the desicisions Keldyn and Mr. Magoo had to ban him but i find it in the least just human stupidity that Toxikk wasn't also banned! (i have nothing against him)

i just want the rules to be adressed to EVERYONE and not just SOME!

he made some hatefull posts where basically he called Tess a ###### and a whiner...

now does that not deserv the same treatment ???

the mods/admins are wrong and right! i agree with a part and disagree with another that that may be very clear.

You do not know what happened.

That baseball thread was not it. Stop questioning the mods decisions.

Before I start I don't anything of the situation...

Stop questioning the mods decisions.

The only thing I know is that attitudes like this certainly don't help. The attitude that comes across is "Don't question us mods because we are gods" and I'm sure this isn't how you want it to appear.

I respect a load of you guys in this thread... but please can we let this pass.

As has been said by far more eloquent members of staff than myself it has to be understood than any warnings or further action against members of this community are done so only after a lot of discussion with other mods and are done with due consideration and not in a hot-headed manner.

Furthermore, any such staff discussion is private and shall not be entered into here. Therefore any thread about the actions of staff can noly have possession of half the facts.

The admins, moderators and newsposters act only for the betterment of Neowin. Our egos are handed over when we become staff. ;)

You do not know what happened.

That baseball thread was not it. Stop questioning the mods decisions.

GRRRRR

damn this law/rules just sucks!

when a police officer beats up an innocent civilian that was just minding there own business do they not deserve to be questioned ???????

pctuk: you have to understand that this is becoming a more common occurance. would you like someone constantly telling you what they think should be done? esp. when they don't have a clue what they are talking about? it's really frustrating, and is very disrespectful. the mods are mods for a reason.

Originally posted by cheekymonkey

I respect a load of you guys in this thread... but please can we let this pass.

As has been said by far more eloquent members of staff than myself it has to be understood than any warnings or further action against members of this community are done so only after a lot of discussion with other mods and are done with due consideration and not in a hot-headed manner.

Furthermore, any such staff discussion is private and shall not be entered into here. Therefore any thread about the actions of staff can noly have possession of half the facts.

The admins, moderators and newsposters act only for the betterment of Neowin. Our egos are handed over when we become staff. ;)

let this pass ?

this is an open community and i demand some ****ing explanation!

i pm'ed three mods and one directed me to this thread so i'm asking my questiom here because they weren't answered!

i don't want to belong to a communoity where there is this much tirany and if you want you can BAN ME!!!!!!!!! :(

Originally posted by pctuk

Before I start I don't anything of the situation...

The only thing I know is that attitudes like this certainly don't help. The attitude that comes across is "Don't question us mods because we are gods" and I'm sure this isn't how you want it to appear.

That wasn't how it was supposed to appear. The only people who know what truly went on were the mods, so when you get members start demanding that others should have bene banned, or members should be unbanned, it's wrong.

So use_imagination, everytime a mod moves a thread, or warns/bans a member, do you want us to report it to you? Give you the details? Create a poll so the members can decide?

use_imagination: now's the time that people mentioned when you step back from your keyboard, take few deep breaths, and post your reply later.

Originally posted by BroChaos

pctuk: you have to understand that this is becoming a more common occurance. would you like someone constantly telling you what they think should be done? esp. when they don't have a clue what they are talking about? it's really frustrating, and is very disrespectful. the mods are mods for a reason.

TYRANS IS WHAT THEY ARE!!!

(yeah ban me now)

That wasn't how it was supposed to appear. The only people who know what truly went on were the mods, so when you get members start demanding that others should have bene banned, or members should be unbanned, it's wrong.

So use_imagination, everytime a mod moves a thread, or warns/bans a member, do you want us to report it to you? Give you the details? Create a poll so the members can decide?

of course not!

but in this situation where i think something should have been done and i am requesting why it wasn't as a member of this community i demand to know why it wasn't!

use_imagination: sp00nman has already PM'd me that he probably went too far in his assumptions and also said that he probably didn't know what happened. We are cool now with this and I respect him for wanting to make peace with me.

I didn't read all your posts because I know where they are going. We spoke briefly in msn community chat and I think I proved myself to be a fair bloke.

Tyrants dont get succesful sites and memberbase like Neowin is for being Jack-asses. I am far from it and proud of what I do. but your comments really do make me stop and wonder if its all worth the effort of my free time - yes. So think about that before you bitch about the creators and contributors of Neowin

Originally posted by Neobond

use_imagination: sp00nman has already PM'd me that he probably went too far in his assumptions and also said that he probably didn't know what happened. We are cool now with this and I respect him for wanting to make peace with me.

I didn't read all your posts because I know where they are going. We spoke briefly in msn community chat and I think I proved myself to be a fair bloke.

Tyrants dont get succesful sites and memberbase like Neowin is for being Jack-asses. I am far from it and proud of what I do. but your comments really do make me stop and wonder if its all worth the effort of my free time - yes. So think about that before you bitch about the creators and contributors of Neowin

ok i agree that that part about tyrans was made out of anger because this is really ****ing me off but still NO ONE has answered my question yet...

i demand some ****ing explanation!

well guess what. no one responds well to demands. I know I sure don't. Besides, we don't owe you ANYTHING. Okay?

Now honestly, do us both a favour and lose the attitude and can it while you're ahead.

ok i agree that that part about tyrans was made out of anger because this is really ****ing me off but still NO ONE has answered my question yet...

Thats the second time today that I have been on the receiving end of an angered response. It's also what got Tesseract banned ultimately by a moderator of Neowin.

So does anyone else want to publically humiliate another member? Is anyone else going to demand from me? or can we now leave it i n the capable CHOSEN staff.

I think I give enough :ermm:

What? What do you want answered?