Tesseract & past mod decisions

Originally posted by use_imagination

of course not!

but in this situation where i think something should have been done and i am requesting why it wasn't as a member of this community i demand to know why it wasn't!

"As therefore the bell that rings to a sermon, calls not upon the preacher only, but upon the congregation to come: so this bell calls us all: but how much more me, who am brought so near the door by this sickness....No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

Just, you know, the other side of the coin. The members of Neowin are what make its community, and to see 2 fairly well known posters go is, a little disturbing.

But I think this thread clears up most of the problems with what happened. It seems some people think the whole PM thing is like the secret service coming to take members away, but that's what it's for...so issues can be worked out in private, not in public.

I would add that this issue has come up a lot lately, and even if the arguments are not well founded, they may be an indication of something.

*adds* well, a few people got in before I posted this...errmm...I may be leaning more to the side of whinny, unfounded users being the problem at this point.

I also think the mods should never talk to people. Just make all your actions in total silence. Then you wouldn't have to explain yourselves. Oh yes, what a community that would be :p

let this pass ?

this is an open community and i demand some ****ing explanation!

i pm'ed three mods and one directed me to this thread so i'm asking my questiom here because they weren't answered!

i don't want to belong to a communoity where there is this much tirany and if you want you can BAN ME!!!!!!!!! :(

as quoted from neobond

This isn't a democracy its a windows technology site run by me and our staff

If you don't like the state of the government this isnt civilisation 3, you will have to move somewhere else

like Honduras

Neobond : i'm gonna let this go and i think you do a great job with the site BTW! i was only disagreeing with some mods options

Dazzla : why wasn't toxikk banned as well as Tesseract ?

Tim : just STFU yourself damn it!

Neobond : i'm gonna let this go and i think you do great with the site BTW! i was only disagreeing with some mods options

Dazzla : why wasn't toxxik banned as well as Tesseract ?

Because as has been repeated many many many times before, you...do...not...know...what...happened!

That baseball thread was not it

and that's the last I say on this crap.

Neobond : i'm gonna let this go and i think you do great with the site BTW! i was only disagreeing with some mods options

doing this in a civil way :)

are you mad cause your post count oppenent is banned?

least ur smart and you know who that image was directed to :)

Originally posted by Tim

doing this in a civil way :)

are you mad cause your post count oppenent is banned?

least ur smart and you know who that image was directed to :)

don't make me laugh!

edit : i don't know if you read my posts but in them i said i agreed with the desicion of banning Tess

You misinterpret everything I say and I'm tired of it. Obviously I'm in a no-win situation here, because whatever I say will just be shadowed by your "authority." You see... the situation isnt just about cody, it's about freedom of speech. I should be allowed to say something without being banned, as long as it isnt harassment. All I was doing was supporting the idea of bringing Cody back, but you came in an immediately shut my opinion down. That's wrong, and it certainly isn't freedom. What happened to freedom of speech?

Since when was this site subject to US laws? This is a private site, which is subject to whatever laws, rules or regulations we set. The good thing is, school will be in session pretty soon, and most, if not all these problems will die down.

First, thanks :) respect ;)

Second.. ToxikK took it to the PM's and emails and even if he was annoying we cant ban people for the emails they send to other members its none of our business.

We are not always right but Tesseract conceeded and said he was wrong and UNDERSTOOD and accepted the banning. It's other people with no knowledge of what went on that have a problem with this. To my knowledge ToxikK didn't break board rules so therefore he isn't banned. Tesseract did.

As for your comment towards Tim. Its the same thing that happened in the thread with Tesseract/ToxikK you are proving our point again by not ignoring his joke directed at you.

Neobond : thanks for telling me that the staff didn't find that Toxikk disrespected any rules and i made that comment towards Tim because he said various times that me and Tesseract were just spammers and i'm sick of his attitude! so i said he should STFU himself and still stand by it!

Why is this even a topic? The mod/admins banned a member and gave an explanation.

As a more personal note. I respect neowin's staff and the decision's they make. But i have noticed that when some people are put into a position of power they can't really handle they're own opinions begin to outweigh the amount of authority they've been given. I wont mention any names because i do not wish to discuss this matter further but rather to bring it to the staff/public's attention.

One thing people need to realize is this board is a dictatorship. The mods make the decisions and they are final. You can look at it like this...they are letting you use their board...for free even. I never would have known tess was banned if people wouldn't have whined about it. And I guarantee you, very few would have even realized that baseball thread went on.

All I see is the baseball thread. No idea what went on otherwise...but from what I have seen from his posts, maybe this banning will settle Tess down.

As for people "demanding" to know what went on...grow up. Life isn't fair...and you will never know everything that goes on "behind the scenes". The mods make a decision and its final. We either respect that decision, keep our mouthes shut, or leave.

So yeah....I'm glad the mods don't hesitate to ban or step in. For as big as this forum is, they do a great job.

[edit] Lets start a Mods fan club. Who's with me!!

when some people are put into a position of power they can't really handle they're own opinions begin to outweigh the amount of authority they've been given.

To answer your question, unbiased is a requirement but remaining unbiased is hard for most even for me because strong heart felt opinions do shine through, Just like the qualities I hope to maintain here.

Staff and myself have had to reflect on being to opinionated about one thing or another ands its fair to say that we stand quite open to critique.

PM is usually enough to clear most matter and I would hope that members can take this advice as sacred. When in doubt send a PM to the staff member of choice and authority and based on the reply we can look further. Thats all I ask

and No-one is perfect I know I don't pretend to be (even if Redmak does)

Edit typos

Well I agree that PM's can solve just about everything. I know when I first joined i got a HUGE flame about a sig I posted because I didnt realize the size. So I politely PM'd Keldyn and with breakneck speed my problem was solved and I havn't had trouble since. My point is simply yes you have to watch over the public but you being the owner also have to keep tabs on your staff.

Originally posted by superfula

One thing people need to realize is this board is a dictatorship. The mods make the decisions and they are final.

Wrong again. I banned a member this evening for posting a link to WMP9 because MS came down hard on us for posting it. Based on his email reply and me thinking about it I unbanned him. That means there is and always has been room for discussion.

Originally posted by superfula

As for people "demanding" to know what went on...grow up. Life isn't fair...and you will never know everything that goes on "behind the scenes". The mods make a decision and its final. We either respect that decision, keep our mouthes shut, or leave.

We try to make members stay here an enjoyable one, but a minority is keen to dose out a big spoon of STFU quite often to our otherwise valued members. Their comments are offensinve and it doesn't matter to me if they are the biggest posters on the board. If they slap members around be prepared to pay the consequences. We uphold the values of this board for the benefitr of the whole community. Not a group of "old skool members with high postcounts"

Originally posted by Tim

Date Registered: 06-01-2002

Total Posts: 1958 (26.72 posts per day)

may not be spam all together but 51+% are!

the end....

you don't give up do you ?

have you not read well what went on in the discussion about this when we were with the invision board ?

guess not!

you seem to be jealous and my post count at least to me is nothing and i just post because i want to speek out my opinions and NOT because of post count!

as was said before if me or Tesseract WERE spamming the mods would certanly have taken some action!

and btw i try to help when i have the knoledge to and i know my post count dosen't equal quality! i am well aware of that!

so just stop whining about my post count and mind your own.

I'm not going to get into who did what and all that mess, as I don't know what went on... at all. I would like to say however that while I may disagree with Neobond and the other admins/mods every so often (some more often than not), they are still that... admins and mods, while we are the users. As much as this site is a community and we like to feel like it is "our" site, it is not ours to dictate how things should or should not be done. Do I think mods should have to be held accountable? Yes. Do I think that some people getted banned while others, who should have, don't? Yes. But both of those points are my opinions and do not pertain to the running of this site. If we have a problem with a mod then we should first seek out that mod (in PM) and hold a respectful conversation with said person, if that fails then it should be escalated to a conversation with Neobond.

I've seen Neowin have its ups and downs, and saddly the majority of the time the problems stem from a general lack of respect for others. We all too often (I don't know of many of us that aren't) guilty of letting our tempers flare. Someone makes a statement we don't like and we let loose. Most of us wouldn't act this way in real life, but then again... this is not real life. We need to learn to phrase our statements better, to be articulate and expressive so that the meaning and tone of what we say is better understood. That is a big problem with bulletin boards, it's often hard to tell what the tone or mood of the person is. We also need to learn when to leave well enough alone. Some people will incessently try to provoke you and prodd you along until you blow up, leave the conversation before that happens and you will save yourself a world of trouble. More respect for other people's opinions is needed as well. Just because you don't agree with someone doesn't me they are an idiot or have any less right to their beliefs. And what is with this STFU crap? Sometimes it may be appropriate (as in when you are joking around), but in the end it is really just a copout and does nothing to further the conversation or solve any problems at hand.

Anyhow I am rambling and this has really been said before, too many times in my opinion. The last thing I have to say is, sure we can all act like ass' and such here because we know the biggest repercussion will be getting banned... but does that mean we should?

his post

never give up! never surrender!

yes i'm jelous :( i'm mad cause i have lower post counts than you :( gonna cry and make a thread about it.

I want to join your CLUB PLEASE!

wilkommen.gif

I'd post some other stuff but i can't. please message me on msn i'd luv to have a little AOL Chat with you,

unsanity@cox.net

jesterzwild: dont laugh but maybe its an idea to take this problem by the horns and address it.. maybe we can include a moods hack for vbulletin that allows to to select a mood along with your post so members can also reflect on the mood of a member.

I dunno sounds reasonable but would it work?

Originally posted by Neobond

I dunno sounds reasonable but would it work?

Wonderful, but I'd let the poster decide which mood for every message, so to be completly clear with others. :)

yea would be cool, having like a drop down box by ur name when you post. with all the different types of moods. sounds like a good idea ;) that way you'll know if someone is joking or not *hint :p

Sorry Neobond, I did laugh :D Seriously though I have to agree with Asshat ( :s ) that it probably would not work... in an ideal world, maybe, but then we wouldn't be having this problem anyways. Plus the message icons look like they cover a nice range of moods.

Anyhow I just think we all need to think before we post and try to keep in mind that we are a group of largely different people crammed into one really good community... tempers are bound to flare from time to time, we just have to know when to STFU (yeah I know I griped about that earlier).