Tesseract & past mod decisions

Originally posted by use_imagination

you're just being childish now!

go see the email i sent you

why can't you just take the joke?

the cup of stfu up was, notice i said

this is directed at you know who's

thats why that mood idea is a good idea.

was asked to stop so i will :china:

Guys,

This site didnt become as large as it is by us mods being unfair. The first thing Neobond said to me when I signed on is to have an unbiased opinion.

Trust me when I say we have to go through hords of rules before we are able to ban someone. Just becasue I have the power to ban someone, and someone doesnt like my opinion doesnt mean I will ban them. As many of you know, I say what I have to say. Do I get flamed sometimes? YES. Do I ban that person? No. Maybe some Staff in the past has abused this before, but this was the past. I have not heard of any unfair treatment by a staff member in a long time.

My point? You have to do alot to get banned here at Neowin. You dont get banned by posting one warez link and flaming one two or even 10 people. You get banned becasue you are a problem and probley dont help Neowin in any way.

Hell, I wont name names, but even the people who consently post "This is old news" over and over and over and over again do not get banned.

My advice? Everyone grow up. This is a tech site, and the best one at that. If you cant act mature and carry normal converstaions, expect to get a warning or banned. I know I dont like flaming threads one after another, and I'm sure the rest of the Mods agree. We are not here to babysit. We are here to provide a GOOD experience to users of neowin.

Sub

Newsposter

There's not much left to say that hasn't been said or alluded to already. However, that isn't going to stop me. ;)

As a Mod on another site, I think that the Mods/Admins here (and everywhere) tend to suffer because of their status. Imagine going from a person who posts when they like, what they like and damn the consequences mentality, to a person who now has to watch their every post so that no perceived or actual bias is shown, that they have to police rules that maybe they don't fully agree too and generally have to sit back and watch because their Mod/Admin duties take up most of their time.

People like Dazzla, Keldyn, et al came to Neowin because they liked the atmosphere, the people and the release it gave them. They did so well that their efforts were realized by Neobond and the Admins and they were asked to join the Mod team. A boon and a curse at the same time.

All the Mods have done something to excel themselves in these forums. They must have some quality that seperates them from the members. Neobond doesn't run a Mod raffle. He carefully selects them based on a criteria, whatever it is. To then have these selected Mods cope with the fire and brimstone posts that are directed to them is inexcusable.

It took humanity millions of years to develop the rules that govern society. To expect Neobond and Redmak to come up with a ruleset in just a few months/years is ridiculous. The rules must fluctuate as Neowin grows and expands. Nothing is set in stone. All the Mods/Admins here have been flexible beyond belief. There are times that I would have locked a thread but they have rightly let continue because the thread expanded and filled with a knowledge that wasn't initially apparent.

So to the Admins and Mods I say keep on doing what you're doing. Govern Neowin and grow as Neowin grows. To the Members themselves, be yourselves. Don't hide behind a monitor and keyboard. If you met Keldyn or Neobond out on the street, would you slag them off, hurling abuse and vitriol? Or would you shake their hands, congratulate them and have a civil discussion?

I know which I would do.

Originally posted by Neobond

jesterzwild: dont laugh but maybe its an idea to take this problem by the horns and address it.. maybe we can include a moods hack for vbulletin that allows to to select a mood along with your post so members can also reflect on the mood of a member.

I dunno sounds reasonable but would it work?

If it did work that would be kinda neat!

Otherwise on this matter, I don't understand why this thread is here. Why do we feel we have to question the actions of mods and admins in public? If the mods and admins refused to reply to PMs I would feel this would be reasonable, but I know this is not the case, and trust me talking with a mod/admin in PM will get you a LOT further than a thread like this. Quite honestly if I were Neobond, this thread would have been locked, or I would have banned some of you for refusing to stop openly criticizing the staff for no apparant reason when you have no idea what is going on. GROW UP PEOPLE, this isn't a democracy, you don't run it, you are free to come and go as you please. The exit sign is lit up in neon letters, and it is not barracaded. If you feel the management of this site is that incredibly biased and horrible, go elsewhere. I don't think you will find many more sites whose staff will tolerate as much as this one's.

I wanted to say GOOD JOB to all the staff and mods. You do a good job, regardless of what some of these people say. It amazes me how ignorant many of the members are!

EDIT: I used to want to be a mod here, now I realize how unfit I am for the position, because the staff here truly is some of the best, and they donate an insane amount of time.

--------

You are not permitted to start a flame war for any content in above post. If you have an unmanageable flame please try to steer away from flammable materials until it is extinguished. Thank you.

Originally posted by lazydesert

how can i enter this raffle ? :p

not a bad idea. :D

neowin should be about what lazydesert is trying to do. have fun. we are here to have fun... and post about our knowledge base. this like many things was bound to come up and be debated.

i can see the new threads starting up..... OMG PLEASE LEAVE NEOWIN OPEN!!!! or something like that... hehe.... just chillout and have nice cup of stfu like tim said. if the mods wanted you to know they would tell you why.... just my thoughts on it all even though the thread is winding down.

Damn it, stop this already:O . What happened to Neowin how it was before hte banning of Tess? The mods made a dicision of what THEY thought was right. Let it be at that. No need to hate on them for the decision htey made, it's not like they;'re gonna change their decision. Tess agreed to the decision so let it be!:)

- KrypToniK

It's pretty funny to see actual people who live in a real world who are offended or deeply involved.. it almost seems like your friend has gone to jail.. yet its just some kid who got banned from a site.

People should remember that... its just a website. a good one.. but still.

Originally posted by Asshat

It's pretty funny to see actual people who live in a real world who are offended or deeply involved.. it almost seems like your friend has gone to jail.. yet its just some kid who got banned from a site.

People should remember that... its just a website. a good one.. but still.

wait..

you changed your name to Ass Hat ? :paranoid: :ponder:

Originally posted by lx qu33n

not a bad idea. :D

neowin should be about what lazydesert is trying to do. have fun. we are here to have fun... and post about our knowledge base. this like many things was bound to come up and be debated.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

i'm speechless :D

i really appreciate your post. i was be pretty transparent cuz you just describe exactly what i try to do here. i'm just having fun, learning, and trying to help out the people who need it. thanks for the comment, lx qu33n. you are appreciated :)

Originally posted by KrypToniK

Damn it, stop this already:O . What happened to Neowin how it was before hte banning of Tess? The mods made a dicision of what THEY thought was right. Let it be at that. No need to hate on them for the decision htey made, it's not like they;'re gonna change their decision. Tess agreed to the decision so let it be!:)

- KrypToniK

i shouldn't even talk anymore about the subject as for me it's dead but why oh who was trying to change the penalty that they did about Tess ? i wasn't for sure as i agree with it!

Originally posted by lazydesert

:D :D :D :D :D :D

i'm speechless :D

i really appreciate your post. i was be pretty transparent cuz you just describe exactly what i try to do here. i'm just having fun, learning, and trying to help out the people who need it. thanks for the comment, lx qu33n. you are appreciated :)

:D what can i say.... im an admirer of the arts... the arts of lazydesert :p

i really like the moods idea but then of course won't it increase server load and stuff? i just got news that neowin is online agian.. lol i'm worried!

Neobond and everyone i got nuttin for yall.. cept respect, and a big fingerprint smudge on my moniter, i hate my sister but i love everyone one on neowin.. weird eh?

btw if anyone knows the exact way mods are "chosen" by "god" (neobond cough cough) can they PM me.. like is there a term or contract lol

Youre kidnaped at gunpoint, gagged, and dragged into the trunk of a car...and from there everything just goes downhill...

Okay as an EX Neowin staff member I have a unique prospective on how the site is run.

First off these guys make their decisions on what will benefit the community as a whole. This site gets morons all of the time that love to start trouble "no names mentioned" so they do what they have to do to keep everyone happy.

This site runs like any government. the mods have to make decisions BUT they also have to discuss it with the people in a higher state then themselves "admins". People are not just banned for the hell of it. EVERYTHING is dusgussed etc..

Truthfully it is none of the other members busines what goes on behind the scenes with the admins. They have made this place great without people interfearing :)

3nd3r