Sony confirms online plans

Rumours have been spreading for months now regarding Sony's new online multiplayer service for the PS3. Sony has confirmed that the upcoming Sony PlayStation 3 will have a live service. Earlier speculations indicated that Sony had no plans for online PlayStation3 compatibilities.

The new PS3 video game console will include such a service which will allow gamers to communicate, compete, and participate in live in-game tournaments.

The Japanese game giant has begun distributing a questionnaire to gamers regarding console online gaming. The questions are asking whether or not people find online play fun, and what kind of features they might like to be included in the PS3's Live service.

GameShout

comparing a questionnaire distribution with the confirmation of the inclusion of a complex feature (that will start its development stage SOON to be included in a console that needs to ship in SIX MONTHS and get most developpers in your new bandwagon with you) is a long stretch IMHO

Great news if it's true but.. This is coming from a site I've never heard of.. And it isn't anywhere else (at least none of the sites I visit).. I'd take this with a grain of salt.

comparing a questionnaire distribution with the confirmation of the inclusion of a complex feature (that will start its development stage SOON to be included in a console that needs to ship in SIX MONTHS and get most developpers in your new bandwagon with you) is a long stretch IMHO

Xbox live didnt launch with xbox did it? Same thing here, it doesn't have to ship with with console at launch

Great news if it's true but.. This is coming from a site I've never heard of.. And it isn't anywhere else (at least none of the sites I visit).. I'd take this with a grain of salt.

this site is very reliable but yes it's still not Kutaragi or Hirai saying it...dunno we will know soon enough

"Sony has confirmed that the upcoming Sony PlayStation 3 will have a live service."

I see.. if its been confirmed I'm sures theres a nice press release or screenshot of said questionaire. :p

hmmm Looking forward to it! I never played online before besides online games on the Pc.

Where does Sony confirm anything? Doing surveys is confirming? It would be great if they offer some kind of Live feature but this questions need to be answered.

I'll just quote one who posted on that GameSHOUT site.

How does the existence of a questionnaire about a theoretical Live service confirm that there is, in fact, such a service planned? Where are the comments from people at Sony? Can anyone confirm this?

MS has spent a lot of years (and a lot of money) developing Xbox Live. Sony would have to do the same. And for the news of this live service to seep out via questionnaire (with no comment from the company, no less) just doesn't seem very credible. Surely someone inside the company would have leaked this or be willing to talk about it, namely because the existence of such a service for PS3 might prompt some Xbox 360 buyers to hold off on buying a console.

So until someone from Sony actually says there's gonna be a service similar to Xbox Live, maybe responsible Web journalists ought to refrain from running headlines like "Sony confirms PS3 Live Service."

It works well. I prefer Xbox Live over PC games anyday. Of course it's still up to the developers what modes/fun features the game includes for multiplayer, and of course making sure the game isn't a lag fest.

Xbox live didnt launch with xbox did it? Same thing here, it doesn't have to ship with with console at launch

this site is very reliable but yes it's still not Kutaragi or Hirai saying it...dunno we will know soon enough

Still, you can surely disregard my sarcasm towards their timeframe, this is STILL no confirmation of anything yet. They're distributing a questionnaire... Strong indication? maybe, but confirmation? Hardly. Sorry to be a anal with the wording, but flame wars could get started that way

Still, you can surely disregard my sarcasm towards their timeframe, this is STILL no confirmation of anything yet. They're distributing a questionnaire... Strong indication? maybe, but confirmation? Hardly. Sorry to be a anal with the wording, but flame wars could get started that way

well the reason i posted this is because Gameshout has spoken to Sony before..

Where does Sony confirm anything? Doing surveys is confirming? It would be great if they offer some kind of Live feature but this questions need to be answered.

Oh and i said online plans...not a service..so yes a questionaire does confirm PLANS to do something with online.

I checked the site this comes from.. They are basing this on the questionaire Sony sent out about online gaming.. Not from any official announcement..

So I wouldn't trust this information. Though I will say it's very likely Sony will come out with some form of integrated online service, to what extent is the question though.. Something on the level of xbox live, or just more minimal (such as having a nickname across all games).

Sony feeling the heat from Live? :p The questionnaire they recently distributed takes a lot from Live.

But good news nonetheless. Hopefully it'll be a nice online program. But isn't it a tad late for asking users of their opinion right now, especially with a spring launch in just a few months?

As long as its free, I have no problem.

If Sony implements features like Eyetoy chat in lobbies you might be in for a disappointment, i hope its free too though :pinch:

Sony reps already said that they will have the same 'online system' that PS2 had. A questionarre simply alludes to the fact that Sony realizes MS dominance in the online console gaming community and maybe this 'rumor' is simply seeds to an upcoming service. Don't expect the service to be free (or cheap) as Sony's development team is little to non-existant, a third party would have to come in to program such a system. Regardless, if they do have something planned it definitely won't make it in time for launch, most likey it will be towards the middle of the consoles lifecycle and will be very primitive as compated to the standard set by Xbox Live. Expect a true rival to Xbox Live with Sony's system for the PS4 (that's if they even launch a system this generation).

Sony reps already said that they will have the same 'online system' that PS2 had. A questionarre simply alludes to the fact that Sony realizes MS dominance in the online console gaming community and maybe this 'rumor' is simply seeds to an upcoming service. Don't expect the service to be free (or cheap) as Sony's development team is little to non-existant, a third party would have to come in to program such a system. Regardless, if they do have something planned it definitely won't make it in time for launch, most likey it will be towards the middle of the consoles lifecycle and will be very primitive as compated to the standard set by Xbox Live. Expect a true rival to Xbox Live with Sony's system for the PS4 (that's if they even launch a system this generation).

Ok man stuff like that is just going to start a flame war.. Please :p.

Ok man stuff like that is just going to start a flame war.. Please :p.

How? What did I say that was biased or bashing in any way, shape or form? I was simply trying to give my thoughts on what realistically might happen to the online system Sony may be planning on developing.

Quite the contrary, your post has much more potential to start a flame war than mine, please try to avoid this in the future. ;)

Here is the survey sent out by Sony:

1. On a typical day, how often do you play games online?

2. Do you own a PSP?

3. What is your preferred Online gaming format?

4. What Online Gaming Formats do you own?

5. Do you think you will purchase a PS3?

6. A single identity and password for all online games?

7. Global Lobbies allowing you to play against anyone in the world?

8. Game Lobbies should be language based. (English, French, German etc)

9. Game Lobbies should be based geographically.

10. A standard, interactive lobby structure for all games.

11. Headset support in all online games?

12. A QWERTY keyboard as standard for messaging.

13. USB Keyboard support for every online title.

14. Friend List allowing you to see online/offline status?

15. Friend List allowing you to see what game your friends are playing?

16. Private Messaging across games?

17. A feedback rating allowing you to choose who you play against?

18. Ability to remove players out via a majority vote?

19. Game Host has the ability to remove players?

20. Automatically filter opponents based on connection quality?

21. The ability to download music, game demos and other content?

22. Ability to access the dedicated game forum whilst in game?

23. Ability to take screenshots during the game and share them with friends?

24. Ability to take movie clips in game and share them with friends?

25. Ability to play my music during a game?

26. An in game grief reporting system?

27. Ability to access and manage your gaming profile via PC, PSP as well as PS3?

28. Community features without the need for a game disc.

29. Ability to choose an Avatar for all online titles.

30. The inclusion of a web browser.

31. A specific lobby only for Adults.

32. Service should feature a Global Ranking system for each game.

33. Game Lobbies should be Eyetoy compatible.

Source: http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstatio...ssage.id=234191

:) :D