1/focal length = max shutter speed without blur?

Can someone please explain how to work out the minimum shutter speed I can use to avoid blur in pictures? My old digital camera is fully automatic, and in the dark, it automatically adjusts to a long exposure time (slow shutter speed) meaning my pictures come out blurred. I'm buying a digital camera with full manual controls and hopefully I can learn more.

Is this equation correct?

1/focal length = minimum shutter speed to avoid blur?

In the dark I could use a fast shutter speed + high iso such as iso 400, without flash, to avoid blur. What is the best way to determine the proper settings in manual mode?

That is the general rule, yes, but you didn't factor in aperture. I'd say it's true for DSLRs with fast lenses, but not for point and shoots. ISO 400 on point and shoots will look like crap. The light sensibility of the sensor and built in lenses of point and shoots are crap as well, so you won't be able to take night shots without resting the camera on something.

If you're going to shoot mainly night scenes, a DSLR is the only way to go.

the best way to find out for sure though is practice. i really wouldn't recommend iso400 on a P&S either. depending on how steady you are, you should be able to shoot 1/30 or so and have a fairly sharp picture.

In the dark I would shoot at the highest ISO you can, with the smallest (or largest, still don't know that, the smaller the number the large the opening) aperture (f/2.8 is what most point and shoot have).

Shooting at ISO200 will work, provided that you have a tripod or something that will keep your camera still.

f/2.8 on a point and shoot at night will give you the equivalent of PS' gaussian blur, and I doubt that's what you're looking for. Low apertures on point and shoots IMO are only good for portraits or macros.

You could use flash, but it'll only produce good results within ~2m. Anything beyond... use an aircraft searchlight?

If you want to stick with your point and shoot, a tripod is what you need. If you often shoot in low light situations and need GOOD pictures, a Nikon D50 or Canon EOS 350D with a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens is what you need.