PSP outsells DS in US by 1 million

AlphaPrime
In a report published Jan. 13, the The Mercury News says the PSP outsold the Nintendo DS in the US by more than 1 million units during 2005, this according to their own research. In contrast, the DS managed to sell out in Japan. Here's how the site breaks down the US sales numbers:

* PSP - 3.63M units (35% marketshare)

* DS - 2.43M units (23.5% marketshare)

* GBA - 4.26M units (41% marketshare)

If accurate, Americans seemingly care more about multi-functionality while the Japanese appreciate a large selection of both proven and experimental games on a next-gen portable. That is at least on the surface.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/01/19/psp-outs...s-by-1-million/

I'll also note that PSP wasn't sold for the whole year in the US, it came in March. But what's interesting is how completely different the Japanese and American markets are:

JPN - DS outsells PSP

USA - PSP outsells DS

JPN - 360 hardly selling

USA - 360 sold out

JPN - Low numbers for GBA

USA - High numbers for GBA

:shiftyninja:

iconboy

unlike the ds outselling the psp, this actually surprises me as the psp is 2wice as expensive as the ds!

Bhav

unlike the ds outselling the psp, this actually surprises me as the psp is 2wice as expensive as the ds!

true. I think sales picked up because of GTA: LCS. The PSP has an extremely poor library of games, but things are improving.

+warwagon

true. I think sales picked up because of GTA: LCS. The PSP has an extremely poor library of games, but things are improving.

well if you count emulation (SNES,NES, GB, ext..) not so small at all

Ruciz

Yeah, the PSP has great potential but it looks like no one can create new games or figure out how to program correctly on the damn thing. The DS on the other hand has a lot of unique games and different genres and titles.

I guess you can say I am japanese when it comes to this, NDS over PSP - no use for a GBA and no 360 (and probably won't get one for a while) :)

Xerus

Its so weird that the American and Japanese markets are just reverse images of each other. PSP is getting some good games soon I hope. I saw the remake of Mega Man X for it and that looks awesome... but I still need more incentive to get one... it still costs way too much.

Rudy

its hard to believe they're selling that many gba still....i mean who would buy one at this point?

NextGen_Gamer

Just for the record, I believe that the Nintendo DS is still in front of the PSP in terms of total unit sales to date (it released in 2004 you know, and had one heck of a first Christmas season). However, the 2005 sales definitely show that PSP is closing the gap quickly.

S550

I'll get one of they make FF7 for it.

Raum

Within the next year you'll be able to have FF1 - 6 on your DS. With 3 being remade in 3D. ^___^

Both are lovely systems full of great capabilities. The only reason I'd buy a PSP at this point is to put on some NES and SNES Emu's on it, otherwise I can't think f a single game on it's own library that interests me. Not a fan of GTA and the new Megaman X rehash looks worse than the original IMO.

The GBA / DS has been home to some absolutely fantastic Castlevania, Metroid, Zelda, Final Fantasy etc installments. Just has more games that suit me...side-scrollers, platformers and RPG's. Can't wait for Xenosaga 1 + 2, looks interesting. Time to go play some FFIV. :-D

MGS4-SS

its hard to believe they're selling that many gba still....i mean who would buy one at this point?

Because the GBA is cheaper, has a bigger game library with best quality titles? The GBA is the perfect little package.

Spartan_X

one word... Pokemon!

kids love Pokemon and the GBA is cheap and accesible for the average citizen to make their kids happy with it and it doesn't need much care as the DS and the PSP does... :p

JHAirforce05

Great news. Hopefully some better games are on the way for the PSP. A keyboard would be nice too.

Raum

Great news. Hopefully some better games are on the way for the PSP. A keyboard would be nice too.

Something along the lines of a palm pilot keyboard for the PSP would be nifty, considering the OS capabilities being developed for it ATM.

imek

"DS vs. PSP Sales

Who?s winning: Nintendo DS or Sony PSP? Gaming Today has absolutely no idea. A sales report pieced together by The Mercury News has PSP outselling DS 3.6 million to 2.4 million in 2005. But, those numbers fly in the face of both Nintendo?s numbers (over 3 million in 2005) and NPD numbers, which put PSP at 3.6 and DS at 3.8 for the year. First one who figures it all out should win a...GBA."

http://filefront.com/ Gaming Today

Well there's some conflicting reports, think I might go for NPDs numbers.

Danrarbc

well if you count emulation (SNES,NES, GB, ext..) not so small at all

Why would I count emulation? Sony doesn't, quite the opposite - they're actively moving to lock homebrew out with each firmware release.

Xerus

"DS vs. PSP Sales

Who?s winning: Nintendo DS or Sony PSP? Gaming Today has absolutely no idea. A sales report pieced together by The Mercury News has PSP outselling DS 3.6 million to 2.4 million in 2005. But, those numbers fly in the face of both Nintendo?s numbers (over 3 million in 2005) and NPD numbers, which put PSP at 3.6 and DS at 3.8 for the year. First one who figures it all out should win a...GBA."

http://filefront.com/ Gaming Today

Well there's some conflicting reports, think I might go for NPDs numbers.

Yeah I thought the numbers in the original post seemed a little wierd... didnt Nintendo release a statement saying that they sold 4 million units in the US since it launched?

neowin_hipster

Didn't RTFA. Sony usually bases their numbers on units sold to retailers (aka shipped). Makes it easy to play games with numbers by moving/reboxing product.

Nintendo always goes by the actual amount purchased by the consumer. I can say by just looking around, way more nintendo's than psp's (which i've only seen 1)

Ji@nBing

I find it hard to believe the PSP is beating out the DS. The DS just has so many good games and the PSP only has lame ports. I really don't know why anyone would get a PSP when they can have the DS for so much cheaper.

Within the next year you'll be able to have FF1 - 6 on your DS. With 3 being remade in 3D. ^___^

The only reason I'd buy a PSP at this point is to put on some NES and SNES Emu's on it, otherwise I can't think f a single game on it's own library that interests me. Not a fan of GTA and the new Megaman X rehash looks worse than the original IMO.

Just so you know, you can put NES and SNES emus on the DS as well ;)

Brw2KX

Out of that 4mil sold, the ds sold 1.2m of those before 05' started. That would mean the DS sold roughly 2.8m in 05, a 400k difference from Mercury's numbers. Nintendo also said it sold 4.6m GBA's in 05', which is another 400k difference from Mercury's 4.23 figure.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/04/news/inter.../nintendo.reut/

The psp is probably ahead of the ds, but not by a million units

Edited by Brw2KX
Premgenius

Personally PSP is much better compared to DS

autodefe

What this fails to mention is the DS has been experiencing serious supply shortages in japan which would account for 2nd place sales.

AlphaPrime

Yeah I thought the numbers in the original post seemed a little wierd... didnt Nintendo release a statement saying that they sold 4 million units in the US since it launched?

DS sold a lot in 2004, but it seems PSP is selling more each month since it's release though.

What this fails to mention is the DS has been experiencing serious supply shortages in japan which would account for 2nd place sales.

This is American sales, nothing to do with Japan.

Danrarbc

Didn't RTFA. Sony usually bases their numbers on units sold to retailers (aka shipped). Makes it easy to play games with numbers by moving/reboxing product.

Nintendo always goes by the actual amount purchased by the consumer. I can say by just looking around, way more nintendo's than psp's (which i've only seen 1)

Actually Nintendo uses both shipped and sold, but they usually tell you which is which. When they quote shipped numbers they're coming right from NPD. So I don't know if Mercury is trying to say these are sold or what, but their formula is off somewhere because the market share ratio doesn't match NPD data. At all.

DS sold a lot in 2004, but it seems PSP is selling more each month since it's release though.

Since September DS has been selling more than PSP per-month if I remember correctly, or maybe October. Nintendogs made the difference.