Finally!

jackwanders

I am so :D right now, and I have to give a big thanks to everyone on this board that's helped me out these past few months. Especially bangbang, whom I suspect spends way too much time reading up on home theater tech. But we all thank you bangbang.

So, here's the old setup:

post-20217-1137966434.jpg

That's a 20" RCA tube TV, Comcast cable box, PS2, Gamecube, SNES & NES. And my 'meager' DVD collection.

Here we have the old and the new:

post-20217-1137966486.jpg

And finally the bloodless coup is complete:

post-20217-1137966532.jpg

The TV is the Samsung 30" SlimFit HDTV, and I'm loving it. I was even able to get it out of my car and then onto the stand without assistance, due in no small part to its slim waistline and gaunt 120lb figure.

The DVD is the Samsung DVD-HD845. I picked this one up basically because I needed to to get the price over $999 and qualify for BestBuy's "No interest until 2009" offer. They didn't have any of the model I was looking for (Sony Upconverting DVD player) However, I played a few DVDs briefly, and it's stunning, and I'm only using S-Video right now (in all the hulabaloo, I forgot to pick up some components or HDMI cable :wacko: ). I didn't get a stereo yet...I'm going to wait until my tax refund for that purchase, and besides, I'm still not sure how much I want to invest in one. The stand is by 'Init', and it's mighty sturdy. Nice cabinets on either side for stashing all my extra cables and console controllers, and a swivel base for the TV, which is a definite plus with a 120lb set.

And the guy at BestBuy was probably the nicest retail employee I've ever met. Helped me out wth all my questions, introduced himself, great guy.

All in all, I couldn't be happier. Oh, and I don't notice any image warping as others have with this Samsung set.

Goals for the future include:

- Home Theater Stereo

- Universal Remote (looking at Logitech Harmony remotes)

- iPod dock with cables to plug into said stereo system

- cable management system (nothing uglier than a birdsnest behind your TV)

Thanks again guys. Now to watch Pittsburgh beat Denver and slowly weep into my beer.

Edited by Jack31081

sin-ergy

mmmmm NES....

oh nice tv :)

bangbang023

This is ****ing hilarious.....

I have the same exact RCA TV right now and I've been keeping my eye on the same exact samsung 30". I finally decided against it only because it would be too big for how close I am to the set. I'm waiting for the smaller slimfits coming out later this year from Samsung.

I'm also glad you had a good experience with a BB home theater guy. I try to be that helpful though my attitude and temper sometimes get the best of me.

jackwanders

samsung's coming out with smaller widescreen slimfits? I know they have a 27", but it's 4:3, not 16:9.

sebaz

SNES with Super Mario World, can't go wrong there.. lol

Nice setup dude.

bangbang023

samsung's coming out with smaller widescreen slimfits? I know they have a 27", but it's 4:3, not 16:9.

Talked to a Samsung rep in november, he said all their new tubes are slated to be slimfits and may go down to 23"

jackwanders

SNES with Super Mario World, can't go wrong there.. lol

Nice setup dude.

I went through a mario phase a while back, had to play through every mario game up through yoshi's island. made it to smw, then moved on to sonic :D

Question, is there any way to hook up an NES to a TV other than the RF adapter? Perhaps some kind of RF-to-composite convertor, so that I can plug it in via a Video-In on my tv?

bangbang023

I went through a mario phase a while back, had to play through every mario game up through yoshi's island. made it to smw, then moved on to sonic :D

Question, is there any way to hook up an NES to a TV other than the RF adapter? Perhaps some kind of RF-to-composite convertor, so that I can plug it in via a Video-In on my tv?

Doesn't the NES have a mono composite output on it? I know mine does.

gunnerhkjp

I see you're a nintendo man.

Nice setup. You really should get the HDMI connection going though.

jackwanders

I see you're a nintendo man.

Nice setup. You really should get the HDMI connection going though.

Yeah, I'm stopping at bestbuy after work today to pick up an hdmi cable for the dvd player.

Doesn't the NES have a mono composite output on it? I know mine does.

Mine just has two ports. One for the AC adapator and one for the RF switch.

See this picture:

http://www.tripoint.org/kevtris/Projects/c...opyNES_Back.jpg

Some looking around shows that there do exist NES consoles with mono composite hookups, but I guess mine is older than those versions.

Edited by Jack31081

gunnerhkjp

Yeah, I'm stopping at bestbuy after work today to pick up an hdmi cable for the dvd player.

Mine just has two ports. One for the AC adapator and one for the RF switch.

See this picture:

http://www.tripoint.org/kevtris/Projects/c...opyNES_Back.jpg

By the way, are you sure this TV has HDMI to begin with??

If not, you need to get the component cable.

jackwanders

By the way, are you sure this TV has HDMI to begin with??

If not, you need to get the component cable.

It sure does. Two composite inputs, two s-video inputs, two HD component inputs, one HDMI input, one composite audio output and one optical audio output. I did a fair amount of research before picking a set, so I do know, but thanks for keeping me honest.

I will ask though, because I can get all the HD resolutions (480p, 720p, 1080i) through the component inputs as well as the HDMI, is there any real benefit to HDMI versus component, other than cable clutter? I'm looking at about 30-40 bucks for component cables, and no less than 75 for an HDMI cable.

jackwanders

Another question. Anyone know of a DVD that will serve as a good "reference/demo" DVD, so that I can test out the DVD and TV? I'm thinking I'll just buy an HDMI cable and a component cable, see which one gives the better picture to my eye, and return the other one tomorrow.

But I'd like to know if there are any DVDs out there that will be good to use for a test run. Thanks.

gigapixels

Damn, no fair :(

Nice setup (Y)

Crichton

Save some cash so you can buy more dvd's and buy an HDMI cable online. Gateway has a 6 ft one for about $25, instead of $75+ at Best Buy. That is, of course, if you can wait.

rmorris003

look on the right side of the nes thats where the composite connections are.

Soham

congrats

jackwanders

look on the right side of the nes thats where the composite connections are.

Nah, I checked. Do a google image search for "NES back". See the first image? That's what mine looks like. Three things on the left. An AC adapator port, a "channel 3/4" toggle switch and an RF switch port.

This NES dates all the way back to 1986, so I think it was before they added composite connections to them.

**edit**

aw, jeez. i think i know where you're talking about. Are you saying they're on the right side towards the back (if i'm looking at the front of the console)? Ok, I think they might be there....how I could have missed them I have no idea. I'll check it out when I get home from work.

SnowRanger13

Sweet TV and a nes and snes to boot.

bangbang023

Another question. Anyone know of a DVD that will serve as a good "reference/demo" DVD, so that I can test out the DVD and TV? I'm thinking I'll just buy an HDMI cable and a component cable, see which one gives the better picture to my eye, and return the other one tomorrow.

But I'd like to know if there are any DVDs out there that will be good to use for a test run. Thanks.

Look for the AVIA DVD. Most home theater guys recommend it.

jackwanders

So I picked up the last HDMI cable BestBuy had, and all I can say is...

well, I'd have to pick my jaw up off the floor to say anything. I played a scene from Star Wars Ep 1 via S-Video, then switched to HDMI and played the same scene again, and the difference really was night and day. I didn't think i was going to notice such a change. Color, black levels, detail, everything was kicked up. Now I get to watch all my movies over again :D

bangbang023

svideo = 480i

hdmi = 1080i

what'd you expect? :p

brandon.mat

After seeing this TV I'm finally picturing what the 30" apple HD displays look like....and holy crap! Why a computer moniter that big? nice set-up though lol i like it :)

jackwanders

svideo = 480i

hdmi = 1080i

what'd you expect? :p

I had just never seen the two pictures back to back like that, so I didn't figure how visible the change would be.

now i'm achin' for my tax return so i can get myself some speakers to go with this tv.

After seeing this TV I'm finally picturing what the 30" apple HD displays look like....and holy crap! Why a computer moniter that big? nice set-up though lol i like it :)

Hey, real estate is real estate. I'd love to have another 17" monitor here at my office. If I had a 30" monitor to work on, I'd be in heaven. One 30" Apple monitor is about 3.5 times the screen real estate of a 17" monitor.

It's like the difference between working on one of those college desks (the chair with the little flip up 'desk' on the arm) and a nice big corner desk with lots of space.

Although, I could imagine getting the feeling like you're sitting in the front row of a movie theater :|