How do jukeboxes work?

When at a bar or eatery, FM Radio is on for the whole time, and once a record or cd gets selected, the jukebox takes over and begins to play. And goes back to FM once the selection is complete.

How does this work? and what are you supposed to connect it to on the reciever? I don't understand how it automatically overrides the fm signal coming in. Im guessing its like a cable box where you turn it on and channel 3 turns into real television instead of blackness.

Someones gotta know more than me about this. :blink:

When at a bar or eatery, FM Radio is on for the whole time, and once a record or cd gets selected, the jukebox takes over and begins to play. And goes back to FM once the selection is complete.

How does this work? and what are you supposed to connect it to on the reciever? I don't understand how it automatically overrides the fm signal coming in. Im guessing its like a cable box where you turn it on and channel 3 turns into real television instead of blackness.

Someones gotta know more than me about this. :blink:

My first guess would be that the jukebox sends a signal to some kind of receiver to make it switch from 'radio' to 'jukebox'. Or perhaps the jukebox transmits over the frequency of the radio station they play, so when the jukebox turns on, it simply overpowers the external fm signal. Or perhaps the receiver can detect when it's getting a signal from the jukebox, at which point it switches over, and when the jukebox is done, it switches back.

There are lots of possibilities...Try asking the owner of the bar :)