Reuse Ethernet Cable End

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to reuse the ends of an ethernet cable. I want to modify my Cat5 ethernet cable into a crossover cable.

I want to cut off one of the ends on my cat5 cable then take out the excess wiring in the connector. Then once I have crossed the wires I need to cross I want to insert the cable/wiring back into the same connector. I was wondering if that is possible?

Thank you very much to anyone who responds!

Johnathan Hok Cool

You can cut the wire, but you will need a new connector. Because the things in the connector pushes stuff down to the wires. That's why.

I'm afraid you'll probably need a new end and some way to crimp it, either with a tool, or if you can find another way

your kidding right?? A new connector cost what $50 cents?? Here is a 10 pack for $2

http://www.gigaparts.com/parts/profile.php?sku=CB0051-10

Shoot a NEW cable costs what?

http://www.deepsurplus.com/s.nl/sc.2/categ...it.A/id.1213/.f

25ft gray crossover category 5 patch cable

$2.55

Your going to spend time and effort playing with a connector and screw driver and moving brass things around.. when you could get a 25 FT cable for like < $3

For that matter -- you sure you even need a xover cable?? Every switch/hub/etc device made in like what the last 5 years atleast most likely does auto mdi/mid-x -- ie no xover cable needed..

"$50 cents"... :p

No but it's the inconvience of going to a retail store and having to purchase the thing. Where I live there are only a few stores that would sell a crossover cable and I have checked the prices already not really worth it I think, if I could simply mod my current cable. Plus buying parts online is not really an option I have.

If I wanted to go out and buy one I would've gone out and bought one rather then posting this thread here. ;)

Secondly yes I'm sure I need a crossover cable since it will be a direct PC to PC connection without a hub/switch. The network cards also do not support/have auto mdix

If anyone could answer that question I had, that would be great, thanks!

Reusing an RJ45? This is definitely one of the weirdest posts I've seen. I hope your not like this with condoms.

You cannot reuse an RJ45. You have lots to learn about networking if you even think this is worth trying. The goofy guy in the link on crimping with a screwdriver is also questionable.

Spend time trying before you post a question. If your serious about your question then let it come from failed attempts, not just tossing questions out on the net.

I also came across this guide... and he talks about modifying an ethernet cable.

http://www.littlewhitedog.com/content-8.html

"If you are making your cable from scratch like I am doing while writing this article, you have 2 end jacks, which must be installed on your cable. If you are using a pre-made cable, with one of the ends whacked off, you only have one end to install - the crossed over end. Below are two diagrams, which show how you need to arrange the cables for each type of cable end. Decide at this point which end you are making and examine the associated picture below."

And also I did spend time before posting this question. This was my last resort really, I have searched and read up many articles on google and the likes. As a final confirmation/feedback on whether it is possible I thought I'd come here to confirm that. So I'm not just 'tossing this question out on the net'. I'm tossing this question so I know exactly whether what I am doing is correct/possible and what not.... and so prior to doing something that can possibly have bad outcomes..

Why would by online not be an option?? Its quite clear you have internet access.. Tell you what -- if your too young to have a CC.. then have your mommy place the order for you..

It is NOT worth your time an effort to go through the BS of trying to do what your trying to do.. its a freaking $10 order.. couple of days a shiny new cable will be at your door.. here http://www.cablesforless.com a 15ft xover cable to your door is $9.71

Product Description Price Per Item Quantity Total

15' 100MHz Cat5E Crossover Cable

$3.95 1 $3.95

Better yet.. vs doing some BS xover connection between machines.. pick up a switch.. they can be had for like $10-15 if your a REAL cheapy.. I have seen them after rebate for FREE ;)

Let see you have 2 computers you want to network.. so come on you have to have $10 to spend on your project.. :rofl:

Here you go.. this can be used as a 4 port Switch -- for $10

post-14624-1138167624.png

Edited by BudMan

It's not an option becuase sites like that ^^ look like they are run by little kiddies and designed by your grandma. It looks so amateurish and I would not trust a company that looks like that with a CC. That 100% spam free sign doesn't really help either. Also my mom doesn't use CC's so there goes your genius idea.

Secondly rebates hardly ever come back, you buy something you send the rebate and it's lost forever.

Anyways since I'm assuming that modding the ethernet cable is not possible from what you guys are telling me. Does anyone know if Futureshop, Bestbuy Canada, Staples Canada, The Source Canada have any cheap crossover cables?... or hubs/switches

Is there any particular aspect of the question you find amusing? Please fill me in because I'm sorry I'm not a computer fanatic like you that is a corsair memory owner and an abit motherboard owner... oh and a hitachi harddrive owner so I don't get the part of my question you find amusing.

Pick up a copy of any free computer magazine that has advertising for many computer stores and call one of them. They will definitely have cheaper cross over cables than futureshop/bestbuy will have. Oh, and there probably are $10 wireless routers that also have 4-port lan that you ca buy at futureshop. Maybe if you bought during boxing week(s) you could have picked something up cheap.

Uhh, dude, it's just go get a new cable. Honestly it's going to take you probably at least an hour to try to do this and the chance of it working are... who knows. It may be a little bit of an inconvenience, but it's better than having a cable that might or might not work from day to day (because it might work sometimes and not others, or be slow, or many other things).

As for how to do it, it sounds like you told us how you were going to do it, so what are you looking for? Go do it if you really really want to. Get a screw driver and push the clamping part down, yank out the wire, and try pushing up the connectors again, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Secondly rebates hardly ever come back, you buy something you send the rebate and it's lost forever.

Dude I send it rebates ALL the time.. I have NEVER had one not come back.. as to that sites interface.. Maybe they are too cheap to hire a web designer.. like your to cheap to spend 2 bucks on a cable..

I just ordered cables from them..

--

*Thank You For Your Order <snipped>*

*Your Order Number Is: <snipped>*

*Date Of Order: 1/21/2006 2:55:00 PM*

*Billing Information:*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<snipped>

*Payment Information:*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paid via Authorize.net

Credit Card Type: Visa

Name On Credit Card: <snipped>

Payment Was Received In Full.

*Shipping Information:*

Shipping Method: UPS Ground

Shipping Information Is Same As Billing.

*Product Information:*

Mono Splitter - 6 Inch Male RCA Plug to 2x Female RCA Plugs

Part#: AUD-1400-01

(Qty: 4 x $2.99)

3 foot RCA Python Cable

Part#: PYTHONX1-3

(Qty: 2 x $2.99)

3 Foot Stereo Python Cable

Part#: PYTHONX2-3

(Qty: 4 x $3.99)

3 Foot RCA x 3 Python

Part#: PYTHONX3-3

(Qty: 1 x $4.99)

*Subtotal: $38.89*

*Tax: $0.00*

*S&H: $5.80*

*Final Total: $44.69*

Click Here To Track Your Order Via MY ACCOUNT

<http://www.cablesforless.com/index.asp?PageAction=MYACCOUNT>

Got them today -- placed order on sat, got order on tues afternoon.. you can not freaking beat that!! I have to say.. they sent me multiple emails on the status of my order.. sent me my tracking number, etc.. etc..

you can not always JUDGE a book by its cover..

Im sorry your Mommy doesnt not have a CC you can use.. There are sites that will take a money order, pay pal, etc.. etc.. if your too freaking lazy stop by the store and spend $10 on a cable you want.. I guess you time is better spent fiddling around with trying to reuse cables you have cut up ;)

Imusion, I apologize, It wasnt my place to judge. It just reminded me of someone in my Computer Repair class back in September, when we were doing the network cables. I hope you didnt take me to heart, and hope you get into the art of the computer industry, its a great place to be. :)

Hope you accept the apology.

Reusing an RJ45? This is definitely one of the weirdest posts I've seen. I hope your not like this with condoms.

:D :rofl: :D

That was the best thing I've heard all week. Raven, thanks for the laugh.

Peace,

Pete Zaria.

• 13 years later...

Cut the cable a couple inches away from connector and splice according to your specific needs. Old connector stays in tact and you have what you need. Super simple with rj45 because they made it clear so you can see Which wire is which without tearing it apart

10 minutes ago, Kenney798 said:

Cut the cable a couple inches away from connector and splice according to your specific needs. Old connector stays in tact and you have what you need. Super simple with rj45 because they made it clear so you can see Which wire is which without tearing it apart

Yes, if you just HAD to do it, that's probably what I would do

52 minutes ago, Kenney798 said:

yep, I have to do this all the time when the tab breaks off. shortens the cable a bit but saves from having to swap it out entirely every time.

I do a lot of testing with devices in my workplace so I'm taking out and inserting the ethernet cords at my desk almost constantly.

I've got a box of spare connector ends and a crimper in the drawer next to my desk for this very reason :)

edit: realized this thread was about reusing the end connector; that's not usually recommended as it would not be as snug of a fit if you force the crimped part back out then down again; could fall off or break. spare connectors as mentioned are super cheap so there's really no reason to try an reuse them.

I am all for reusing the cable itself, if it's still intact and suited for use, we should be encouraging that, it would be wasteful to throw it away, but I'd stop there, the ends themselves, time vs benefit vs success rate vs cost would be too low, 2+ hours of my life is worth more than 20 cents, I have better things to do with my time, if you don't have one already, purchase a crimper and some replacement RJ45 ends, turn a 2+ hour task into seconds, then spend the extra 2 hours of you life enjoying yourself.

10+ years ago I purchased myself a crimper, a bag of 200 RJ45 ends and a cable tester for under $50, I still have and use the same ones, it'll be worth it in the long run.

PS: Now if you actually want to do this because you'll find it fun and want the challenge, then I am for that too, I've wasted hours of my life on completely pointless tasks just to see if it could be done.

If it is taking you 2+ hours to put an end on a cable, there is something seriously wrong with your technique.  IF your success rate is under 98%, there is something seriously wrong with your technique (2 out of 100 crimps were done wrong because either you were tired or you didn't pay attention...it happens but usually you are more careful the subsequent times).  

1 hour ago, JaredFrost said:

10+ years ago I purchased myself a crimper, a bag of 200 RJ45 ends and a cable tester for under $50, I still have and use the same ones, it'll be worth it in the long run.

10 years ago this thread was already 3 years old and long forgotten. I wonder if he still is using this cable. 

7 hours ago, sc302 said:

If it is taking you 2+ hours to put an end on a cable, there is something seriously wrong with your technique.  IF your success rate is under 98%, there is something seriously wrong with your technique (2 out of 100 crimps were done wrong because either you were tired or you didn't pay attention...it happens but usually you are more careful the subsequent times).  

If you were talking to me, I was talking about when attempting to reuse an already crimped RJ45 connector, you caught me though, having never attempted to pull the strands out of the end and try to move the thingies back up so they can be crimped again, I don't really know how long it would take.

7 hours ago, shockz said:

10 years ago this thread was already 3 years old and long forgotten. I wonder if he still is using this cable. 

Haha oops, didn't even notice that.... Well, hopefully he's figured it out by now.