• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Bad idea to stack a hot dvr box on a dvd player?

AndyD    22

It's not so bad now but I remember it getting pretty hot during some summer days. Not too hot to touch but still noticable.

I'm just wondering how it could adversly affect a dvd player. In March, I intend to buy a LCD along with some other components. I finally managed to find a stand that fits perfectly in my room (for the curious: http://tinyurl.com/8u858) but like most stands there are only two shelves forcing me to stack some components. I figure I'll use the bottom one for my gaming systems so the top is left for the Oppo dvd player I plan to buy along with my dvr box.

I currently have the dvr box on top of my sony dvd player. I've had it set up this way for a bit. Dvds play just fine but recently the display screen has been losing some of its lights so text/numbers are not properly displayed. I'm not sure who is to blame - if it's just crappy Sony manufacturing or if it is indeed the heat from my dvr box. What do you guys think? I hate to buy a new dvd player only to have my dvr box f it up in some way.

bangbang023    31

Heat rises. Having the DVD player under the box should be fine. I don't know anyone who has ever had a problem with it.

Joel    27

You shouldn't stack components. Ever. There are usually heat dissipation outlets on the bottom of units also, or dissipation plates. You can heat the unit below enough to get it to shut down to protect itself, at the very least. I've seen it happen with modems and routers, and other home components.

bangbang023    31

You shouldn't stack components. Ever. There are usually heat dissipation outlets on the bottom of units also, or dissipation plates. You can heat the unit below enough to get it to shut down to protect itself, at the very least. I've seen it happen with modems and routers, and other home components.

Components are meant to be stacked, though. The standard 16 /12" to 17" width is for this very purpose. You just have to stack wisely. Cable boxes have a plate on the bottom, yes, but they also have rubber feet which elevate the unit off of whatever service it is currently on. I have felt under my cable box, it's barely above room temperature. The top is considerably warmer.

neufuse    3,948

I've never understood why they design home components to be stackable (like the ones with the circular feet that join together in stacks like pioneer did before) and then they say dont stack them because of heat problems... never made sense to me

we have a "stackable" pioneer dvd player... theater system, cd changer, etc... u know all that stuff.. they stack togheter and snap togheter at the stack points... but then the manual says dont stack them for heat reasons... well why'd u design them to stack then?! ugh

BroChaos    1

lol, thats funny. the only thing i've ever had a problem with stacking was my dsl modem on top of my linksys router. i have one of the original linksys wrt-54g, and it gets REALLY hot.

bangbang023    31

lol, thats funny. the only thing i've ever had a problem with stacking was my dsl modem on top of my linksys router. i have one of the original linksys wrt-54g, and it gets REALLY hot.

No kidding. Mine is probably the warmest electronic I have in my house. Same router.

Joel    27

Components are meant to be stacked, though. The standard 16 /12" to 17" width is for this very purpose.

Actually, it's so your components look good all lined up on their own shelves. Weird widths make people cry over their toys. :p

AndyD    22

If I have a dvd playing, the heat created by the two is definitely noticable when touched. More than just warm I think. I don't care about my current dvd player but if I do go ahead and stack a new one I'm assumning a small fan to push away some of the heat would be a good idea