Nintendo DS Lite

A Japanese website is reporting that Nintendo will release an ipod like DS redesign called Lite on March 2nd for 16,800 Yen ($140 USD). Fake? Probably, but it does look nice.

Edit: I didn't realize this is Nintendo's official Japanese website, so I guess it is real!!

Source

post-20838-1138263668.jpg

Edited by Ji@nBing

The bottom pic is from Nintendo, the above pic is what they wished it were.

Fact is having everything modular like that would make for a pretty not so durable handheld, it just wouldn't work.

This isn't "a Japanese website," it's Nintendo's official Japanese website. nintendo.co.jp, people... Therefore this device is real.

Yeah, I thought so. Good find Ji@nBing. ;)

I don't like that fake though, looks tacky.

Anyway, new DS looks pretty good, I hope there are some other colours though.

My broser crashed when I was posting this, sooooo I have to type it all out again. Found a link with more info:

Nintendo of Japan today on its official website unveiled a new version of their Nintendo DS handheld which has been met with remarkable success in Japan and around the world. The new Nintendo DS Lite, being dubbed as a "lighter and brighter" DS by Nintendo, is all but certain to continue the success of the original with its small, compact design when it is released on March 2, 2006.

The new DS Lite measures in at 133.0 x 73.9 x 21.5mm (as opposed to the originals size of 148.7 x 84.7 x 28.9mm), a bit less than 2/3rd the size of the original, and will weigh in at about 218g (the original weighed 275g), a little over 20% lighter than the normal DS. The unit is currently set to retail in at about 16800 yen (around $145 USD). For reference, the standard DS currently retails in Japan for about 15000 yen (around $130 USD). Also featured will be 4 adjustable levels of brightness which perhaps will function similarly to the Sony PSP's settings. It also appears from the screenshot that the microphone has been moved in between the two screens. Also, the power button is not visible which may mean it has been moved to the side of the handheld.

The new unit will also be retaining the originals ability to play Game Boy Advance media despite the smaller size. Advanced Media will keep you updated on this breaking story should any further details on the unit come forth, and of course we will make sure to keep you informed as to whether this will be coming overseas.

Source

Those Japanese DS shortages make more sense now if a redesign will be out so soon...

I already own a DS and this doesn't offer enough new for me to upgrade. Smaller size and 4 brightness settings really isn't much of an upgrade. Not like the GBA:SP over the GBA.

Yeah, I thought so. Good find Ji@nBing. ;)

I don't like that fake though, looks tacky.

Anyway, new DS looks pretty good, I hope there are some other colours though.

Yeah, it is a bit tacky looking, but it has some good ideas. At least it would offer something new unlike the Lite.

I would assume the other colors would be the same as the Revolution as it seems to have the look of the white Revolution.

Here is someones render of the size difference. Don't know how accurate it is:

post-20838-1138265205.jpg

I want it in black. :D

If my theory of the color schemes following the Revolution (and it's just a wild guess on my part), then you will have it in black ;)

I already own a DS and this doesn't offer enough new for me to upgrade. Smaller size and 4 brightness settings really isn't much of an upgrade. Not like the GBA:SP over the GBA.

It's not like they can change much without making it a totally new system. What they've done is exactly what I expected, a turn to Revolution design and the brighter screens in use on Nintendo's other handhelds.

I find it best to expect the small things.

And I actually am going to be getting one. I love the new GBA SP screens and these will probably be like that or better, plus the fact that it's smaller helps too with putting it in my pocket.

Hmm, Tetris and Metroid come out on March 20th in the US. Looks like a good day to launch new hardware to me (I know it's a big conclusion to jump to, but DS was quick to reach across the Pacific the first time)

Edited by Danrarbc641

this might actually make me get one of these.. never had a handheld before. if there was a way i could buy the japanese games (in japanese) then that would be great.. would probably sell me on the little device. great for getting to uni and back which is a 1hr trip each way.

That actually looks pretty sweet :D I currently own a GBA and been looking at getting something better...orginally I was looking at the PSP but with it's price and that fact it doesn't really have that many good games I decided against it..I've been eyeing the DS for a bit but I find it too big..this could be the answer I'm looking for..great! :woot: hopefully it's released to the rest of the world and not be a Japan only thing...

this might actually make me get one of these.. never had a handheld before. if there was a way i could buy the japanese games (in japanese) then that would be great.. would probably sell me on the little device. great for getting to uni and back which is a 1hr trip each way.

DS games aren't region locked at all, and are easily imported from the likes of www.yesasia.com, www.play-asia.com and www.liksang.com (YesAsia are especially great because of their free postage)

I have spent many, many, many happy hours playing Japanese title "Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan" on my UK-bought DS.

this looks sweet :) i had a Nintendo DS originally when they were released but i decided to sell it as i knew they would bring out a remake of it- and i was right :D :rofl: :shiftyninja:

Yes! Been waiting for this news for ages. The form factor of this new design looks much nicer and reminds of the design of the revolution. Whoever said that the colours may follow those for the Revolution launch may be onto a winnwe with that theory.