Honest Opinion on PSP

El-Diablo

hey everyone, i'm thinkin of pickin up a PSP next month and i was just wondering if they're all that great. I've played my buddy's a few times it's pretty slick i just wanna know if you guys think it's a good idea.

Solarix

i really still havent managed to get to one yet , my reason being is money, but if i had one id mainly use it for other things instead of games, like movies,storage,linux,modding etc, i like its wide aspect as well nice crisp video, no ghosting i like it

johndoh

It's a slick bit of hardware, a very nice toy in itself. But unless you're a Vacant American teenager, the games, (With very little exception) Suck!

Lumines and the Namco Museum are good. Wipeout is a great tech demo. Liberty City is great if you like GTA.

If you want a pretty toy, buy a PSP, if you want a handheld gaming system buy a DS, Mario Kart rocks!

I own both btw.

Spielo

It's an incredible bit of hardware, but the lack of new, interesting games is a real problem. There are very few games for it that you can't get in some form on PS2... Unless you like re-buying games you've already got so that you can take them with you, I wouldn't bother.

curme

I like it because I can burn movies onto it and watch them later. Especially at the airport, I get so bored waiting for the plane!

Robbobloke

I agree with some of the comments above. A great bit of hardware but I dont use it much due to the lack of games that interest me! :(

SojIrOu

yeah its good for lots of stuff like movies, music, podcasts, wireless internet but the games are kind of slow.

mikebeech

well i used to have a PSP, but i sold it within like 2 months :huh: never really used it.

kaptain chump

I would rather have a cheap laptop

icecaveman

I prefere the games available and under development for PSP over DS, however I don't consider PSP a portable device, the battery life is way to short and the loading times are disturbingly long. It does not fit in your pocket unless you wear huge skater pants and they use MemorySticks instead of affordable SD or CF cards.

Even though it's cons I'm still tempted to buy one and every time I see one at the store I'm one step closer to getting one but I try to resist.

AJerman

Honest opinion? I think they're a waste of money.

Roger H.

I wanna get one but i'm not dying to. I kinda wanted one when they came out and it hasn't gotten any more or less. I still feel like if i had extra money lying around i would get it but i'm not gonna spend my whole paycheck for it and a few games one week (only certain things i did for that and boy was it worth it!! :-D )

Blues

Its sweet sexy and nice..

but to be honest, I havent touched mine in like a month or 2.

Seriously.

I guess im just waiting for GT:Mobile

thagame

i bought it for a friend and after a week told me just cut my losses and get my money back, so i decided i would see what his ungrateful ass was crying about and he was right. if it wasnt for liberty city stories this junker would be back in stores with my refund going to a x360 game.

DeadOnArrival

I've had my psp since the launch, and i must say its probly my favorite gaming machine. I ditched my xbox and ps2 and most of my time is on my psp. Its got good music, movie, and game features, plus the homebrew scene really makes it worth it.

kylejn

I've had my PSP since launch, and have to say that I'm rather disappointed. Nearly all the games on there are console games on a portable, rather than truly portable games. I've still got hope, as there are some games in development that look sweet, but I'm planning on buying a DS as my portable system as soon as the DS Lite comes out.

LaNcom

I bought my PSP shortly after launch, also got a couple of games (Wipeout Pure, Untold Legends, Death Jr,, GTA:LCS, Metal Gear Acid, Lumines...). At first, I thought it was pretty cool. Loved playing GTA on a handheld and such. The only game I play these days is Lumines, though. After seeing the DSlite, I somewhat regret I bought a PSP. It's pretty much a novelty, not really that many cool games are available/ announced and UMD Video and the MP3 player won't cut it as well. Maybe I'll get a DSlite anyway, and give the PSP to a friend of mine (avid GTA fan). Given that my Nintendo stock made enough profit to get a DSlite & Revolution for free in the last few days alone... :laugh:

stadsport

Honest opinion? I think they're a waste of money.

Afraid I'm gonna have to agree with this one. While powerful, the device feels extremely cheap and flimsy to me. It seems like most people disagree, but I consider the screen to be extremely cheap. It has terrible response time, you can see backlight distortion, and I've never come across an LCD with such a high percentage of dead and stuck pixels. The case itself has some terrible design flaws, like the square button and UMD drive problems. Don't even gex me started on battery life. Sofware-wise, you've either got a few emulators (which I'll get into later), or a few good games out of countless cheap sports games, PS2 rehashes, and movies you've already seen. The emulation scene is constantly growing, and while it's good, it's far from perfect. SNES emulation still doesn't run full speed with sound and 0 frameskip. Web browsing is a joke, with cellphone-like text input. And memory cards are, for the most part, pretty overpriced, compared with other types, like CF and SD. Don't forget, you're also basically forced into buying accessories like extended batteries and cases, else it's likely to break and all.

If you're looking for a portable every-box, get a cheap laptop or a high-end Pocket PC. I just got a Dell Axim X50v. Long story short, I can emulate PSX nearly perfectly. And I wrote this post on it. :)

But hey, that's just my opinion.

DiEMOS

You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

"like the square button and UMD drive problems" that has been fixed LONG time ago. Furthermore memorycards are overpriced? uhmmm, you can grab 1 gig card for about $70 its not a BIG difference compared to others. "else its likely to break" perhaps if you drop it. everything is likely to break if you drop it, such as a laptop and pdas. yea get a laptop to emulate PSX a 8 year old system. Anyways enough about 'ur' opinion.

I had PSP but returned it because i needed money at that moment, my friend had one and sold it because he havnt used his. On the other hand few of my friends have it and love it because they enjoy old school SNES/GBA games. Plus you can watch movies and week by week memory cards are getting cheaper, they allready have 4 and 8 gig ones out, so get one 4 gig card and there is ur Ipod + movies + emulation + games. Anyways... upto you.

BroChaos

i've had mine since day 1, and still play it nearly every day. it's been a little slow with the new games lately, but that happens with every console after the holiday season. i guess it depends how much time you have to play games away from home. if you ride the bus/subway or whatever, i'm sure you'd enjoy it. mine was great when i was flying.

[bear]

i actually found hot shots golf to be enjoyable on the psp. It's more arcade style golf and its kinda fun. I prefer it over the sims2 especially because of the terrible loading times on sims2. GTA: LCS was awesome. Wipeout:Pure is a decent game. The races get repetitive but you can download new tracks and fix that! :)

yankee lion

The PSP games will be flowing in the next few months;

This is for Feb. and March:

Winning Eleven

winning-eleven-9-ubiquitous-evolution--20050817074526768.jpg

Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max

street-fighter-alpha-3-max-20051128012005232.jpg

Fight Night

fight-night-round-3-images-20051213015523305.jpg

Exit

exit-20060124003504471.jpg

Generation of Chaos

generation-of-chaos-20051215005426044.jpg

Y's Ark of Napishtim

ys-the-ark-of-napishtim-20050817015346842.jpg

Bounty Hounds

bounty-hounds-20051012085035371.jpg

Untold Legends: Warrior's Code

929603_20060105_screen007.jpg

Field Commander

field-commander-20051122033944194.jpg

Metal Gear Acid 2

acd-2-images-20051221080455406.jpg

928434_20051219_screen002.jpg

Daxter

daxter-20050720115647983.jpg

Me & My Katamari

me-and-my-katamari-20051216114626899.jpg

Splinter Cell Essentials

tom-clancys-splinter-cell-essentials--20060123110823991.jpg

Pursuit Force

926523_20060118_screen003.jpg

Syphon Filter: Dark Shadow

syphon-filter-dark-mirror-20051222054620028.jpg

2006:

Worms: Open Warfare

931274_20060106_screen003.jpg

931274_20060106_screen011.jpg

Monster Hunter Portable

928336_20051128_screen001.jpg

928336_20051128_screen002.jpg

Every Extend Extra (creator of Rez)

P0006781949004_3.jpg

P0006781949010_4.jpg

Roco Loco

ilocorocoi-20060124013314054.jpg

Tales of Eternia

tales-of-eternia-20050107011405766.jpg

Killzone: Liberation

931635_20060126_screen005.jpg

Gradius Collection - Konami gives Gradius fans a dream collection of Gradius, Gradius II, Gradius III, and Gradius IV plus the previously Japan-only Gradius Gaiden all on one UMD.

Edited by Surrieall
stadsport

"like the square button and UMD drive problems" that has been fixed LONG time ago.

Sony stated that they chose to design the PSP how it is and that it would stay that way. If they've revised the layout of the PSP internals, I'd like to see something to show for it. UMD drives are still flakey in terms of use and staying close. Sony is notorious for using cheap hardware in their systems, you can't deny this.

Furthermore memorycards are overpriced? uhmmm, you can grab 1 gig card for about $70 its not a BIG difference compared to others.

For $20 more I can get a 2gb Compact Flash card. A 1gb CF card is $45.

"else its likely to break" perhaps if you drop it. everything is likely to break if you drop it, such as a laptop and pdas.

I've purposely thrown my DS against the ground, and it still works like the day I got it. My PPC is solid as a brick, too. Laptops are more fragile as they have large moving parts (ie screen), but if you get the right laptop, it can survive falls better than all of the above. See: Thinkpad T40 hdd shock protection.

yea get a laptop to emulate PSX a 8 year old system.

Emulation is a big selling point on the PSP for many people. Don't try to brush it off just because the system is dated. The SNES and below are older, but you didn't even mention those.

On the other hand few of my friends have it and love it because they enjoy old school SNES/GBA games

Oh wait, yes you did...

Ji@nBing

Personally I would get a DS. I got mine a month or so ago and I never put it down. The games are really, really fun and original, unlike the PSP re-hashes. The battery life is also really awesome, many hours of playing without having to charge.

Also if you want multimedia capabilities, the DS can do that too. You just need to flash it and then use a SuperCard or M3. You can play movies, listen to MP3's, emulation, e-books, all that jazz. You can even play DS roms on it so you can download all the Japanese games (as well as all the current US DS games too, if you're into that kind of thing). The SuperCard with a 1gig CF card will cost you less than the extra money you would be spending on the PSP over a DS, so you will have a system that can do everything the PSP can, AND has awesome and innovative games for less than the price of a PSP.

DELTETHISACCOUNT

My honest opinions about the PSP....

Cool

Sexy

Overpriced

Low battery life

Most titles suck, some are good.

PSP = PC w/ Intel Extreme Graphics 2