Honest Opinion on PSP

thermal+paste

I've had bad exp. with sony products always. No matter if it was a tv, camcorder, vcr, dvd player. They all 'work' but something just seems difficult/inferior product about them. For example I was playing ffx2 on a ps2 and it randomly crashed!!! I was so mad I sold all the games and ps2 mini on ebay. It was incredible. Played game, crashed, no saved data = out of my life. I like the gamecube best. It never ever crashed and always worked well.

PSP Pros

Fast processor

Big screen size

PSP Cons

price

heavy

size

I did a comparison spreadsheet once on the portables like the ds, micro, psp, and the psp was tops in graphics and speed (mhz) but it was pricey, heavy, and large = fit in pocket = difficult. But a portable rpg is better than sunlight. Ahh, portable rpg :D I threw away the comparison so I don't have it now. Sorry. I remember the ds, and all the nintendo ones being pretty average with the micro tops in compactness. The psp is simply a higher quality device in power, usability, and satisfaction imo despite the heft.

golazo

wtf?!? psp isn't heavy!

psp might perform better but the ds has way more fun games

Dazzla

Well, I bought one on the Jap launch, then I bought a ceramic white one when that came out and to be honest I got pretty bored of it. There were exceptions of course, Lumines had me captivated I loved Wipeout Pure but to be honest a lot of games just felt like "been there, done that" and I got bored.

There are some promising titles, Exit looks good and scored well in Edge recently, LocoRoco looks pretty original, could be good. But ultimately it depends on what sort of games you want. If you want to play your regular console games on the move then you can't beat the PSP, but if you're looking for new ideas and innovation they're hard to come by.

El-Diablo

i appreciate all the input keep it coming guys :D i'm still trying to decide :D

firen

i appreciate all the input keep it coming guys :D i'm still trying to decide :D

2005 - year of UMD movies

2006 - year of the games (hopefully)

By looking at Surrieall's post you can see a lot of good things coming to the PSP. I personally am keeping my eye out for Street Fighter and Syphon Filter as well as Roco Loco.

IceBrewedBeer

I prefere the games available and under development for PSP over DS, however I don't consider PSP a portable device, the battery life is way to short and the loading times are disturbingly long. It does not fit in your pocket unless you wear huge skater pants and they use MemorySticks instead of affordable SD or CF cards.

Even though it's cons I'm still tempted to buy one and every time I see one at the store I'm one step closer to getting one but I try to resist.

I'm guessing you're waiting to see if there's a price drop for the PSP, like me. :laugh:
Ji@nBing

2005 - year of UMD movies

2006 - year of the games (hopefully)

By looking at Surrieall's post you can see a lot of good things coming to the PSP. I personally am keeping my eye out for Street Fighter and Syphon Filter as well as Roco Loco.

I dunno. This is just my opinion, but to me, UMD= lame. Why would I want to pay the price of a DVD for something I can only watch on the PSP, especially when I may already own the DVD. It's really, really rediculius.

As far as the games, none of those interest me. Nothing that hasn't already been done on the PS2. Again, if you want PS2 games on the go, this is a good thing. But if you want a whole new gaming experience, go for the DS. The graphics may not be as good, but the games are fun as hell and very unique. Games like Pheonix Write: Ace Attourney, Trauma Centre: Under the Knife, Meteos, ect... are all games unlike anything you will get on any other console.

I'm not saying the PSP is bad, it's good at what it does. But it's nothing new.

Atom

I personally feel that the system is completly overrated. It would be fantastic if there was an actual reason to use one, but there really isnt. I have an iPod Video for my movie/TV/MP3 playback, a laptop for web surfing, and a DS to play entertaining games.

The PSP is one of those jack of all trades, master of nothing deals. Its can do some things OK, but it defiently doesnt do it as well as my dedicated devices.

mikebeech

I personally feel that the system is completly overrated. It would be fantastic if there was an actual reason to use one, but there really isnt. I have an iPod Video for my movie/TV/MP3 playback, a laptop for web surfing, and a DS to play entertaining games.

The PSP is one of those jack of all trades, master of nothing deals. Its can do some things OK, but it defiently doesnt do it as well as my dedicated devices.

nailed it in one :yes:

LingeringSoul

Yup, pretty much what Atom said.

TBH, after all the PSP game releases of last year, I still find myself going back to Lumines :)

giga

Honestly, I would get a DS. (lite if possible)

The games on the PS2 are just so...pale in comparison the new things coming out for the DS. Sure if you prefer the PSX library genre, get the PSP. But otherwise, I really believe that the DS is the big thing in handheld gaming about now.

El-Diablo

i have not been impressed by a single thing the DS has brought to tell you the truth i'm not a fan of nintendo's latest "advancements" in bringing the same console out 3 times over just making it smaller eachtime. that and i dont' like the games they bring out i find them far too childish for my liking.

I am taking all the opinions into consideration however. and the PSP does look pretty attractive. Especially seeing as i do love the Playstation line up :blush: just wish they had a real metal gear solid game not that acid thing ugh card games, how lame :p

still looking for opinions tho, as i'm not buying one for a while if i do decide to get one.

IK47

i really still havent managed to get to one yet , my reason being is money, but if i had one id mainly use it for other things instead of games, like movies,storage,linux,modding etc, i like its wide aspect as well nice crisp video, no ghosting i like it

no ghosting? are you out of your mind?

The PSP got ghosts like the grudge.

leph555

I think its pretty sick but the only thing that i don't like is that it doesn't include atleast one gig of memory with it. But i would still buy it!

IK47

^^ The GigaPack includes a 1GB memory stick with the PSP, along with a stand.

The PSP is a nice toy.

But it does have it's drawbacks:

- The UMD system is rubbish. Not only does it take longer to load data from UMD than from MS, but it drains your battery more.

- The games offered are not worth paying for. They are worth $20-15 tops.

- The movies offered are not worth paying for. They are worth about $5.

- The surface is highly scratchable, and prone to damage.

- The unit is somewhat heavy.

It has many strong points though:

- It looks cool. It is made by Sony, and is fun to play with.

- Really nice screen. Large, high resolution, high contrast, bright.

- It has a memory stick duo slot, which can be used to play pirated music, and pirated movies.

- The games for it are easily pirated and played off the memory card.

- The battery is swapable. I bought an extra one, and it was enough to last a whole day of usage (went on a road trip)

It can do other things too, like surf the web and control your TV, but those are small things which don't really deserve recognition.

The PSP is truly worth the $200CAD (Street price. If you pay more, you are a herb).

El-Diablo

200 dollars??

IK47

^^ yeah, but it's the value pack. You can get a 2GB memory stick duo off of ebay though for about $110

thermal+paste

wtf?!? psp isn't heavy!

it's bulky for a pocket, I saw some dude at the bus stop tonight playing so that was a good action shot

indianN00b

if u want an honest opinion....psp is a waste of money. the games suck and if u really want to do stuff with it u have to dish out an extra $100-$200 for a memory card. im waiting for the DS Lite. you sould buy a ds for a gaming handheld and Mario kart and advance wars are really fun games for the DS. And metroid is coming this year :)

El-Diablo

^^ yeah, but it's the value pack. You can get a 2GB memory stick duo off of ebay though for about $110

where in the world can you get it for 200 in canada???

yock

I've had good ecperiences with both the PSP and the DS...neither of which I own. If i had to choose one, it would be the PSP, just for the fun of hacking it and playing around with all the little programs people make for it. thats my .02$

IK47

where in the world can you get it for 200 in canada???

don't you have chinese people where you live?