Block Firefox from accessing certain websites

Is there any way to block firefox from accessing some websites, making firefox display the message "Server not found. Firefox can't find the server at www.xxxxxx.com" or something similar, so that the user doesnt know firefox is delibrately blocking him/her from viewing that website?

Best way is probably to use the HOSTS file method.

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/44143-how-us...k-websites.html

or

http://www.logicaltips.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=506

Hope these help.

EDIT: You probably can expand the host file entry to even point to a created html doc on the local computer with your little message text. Somebody here should know how it would be done.

Edited by Salgoth

• 1 year later...

someone did the exact the same thing to me....i need to unblock those sites....the problem is...i suck at anything related to computers....so can someone plsssss simplify it for me and tell me how to unblock those sites???? thank you!!!!

EDIT: You probably can expand the host file entry to even point to a created html doc on the local computer with your little message text. Somebody here should know how it would be done.

Set up a web server on the computer or another computer, create a file called index.htm or .html and stick that in the document root. Make an entry in the hosts file as that points to that IP address...done

I think Kevin has children around him and needs a parental control type thing in his browser other than the stupid parental controls around. Is there such a thing as that like Opera has?

I guess you are more likely better off with Opera. Any Norton crap (obviously) is just not worth risking your computer for.

If you got a router and you havn't noticed usually your router contains a filter and you can set it to block access only on a certain computer or allow a certain pc to bypass the filter.