F1 2006

What? Are you 5 or something? What about Williams Renault? That wasn't too long ago! :laugh:

To be honest, I've been away from F1 following for far too long. I used to follow every single qualifying and race even the Aussie ones that would require me to stay up all night.

I reckon they should get Mansell back in F1. That'd show Schumacher who's the boss. Schuey wouldn't stand a chance. :D

Well, it was probably longer ago than you think, 1997 was the last year of Williams Renault, so like...what 8-9 years ago. Then I would have been around 12, I didn't start watching F1 properly since I was about 10, and Williams where the winning team then....soooo I did grow up with them really :p

The Sauber looks like a BMW Williams which isn't suprising really, but that is also Williams colours as well as BMW. The Williams has had to change to more all blue. Should be fun, Orange McLarens, Saubers that look like Williams of recent years......broken Ferrari's (oops, we can only hope :p)

Ah, thanks Paul. I grew up on "Williams BMW", it's going to be hard to change to "BMW Sauber". Oh well, I hope they have a good season.

they were Williams Renault for a lot longer :laugh:

I reckon they should get Mansell back in F1. That'd show Schumacher who's the boss. Schuey wouldn't stand a chance. :D

Guess we will have to make do with the Masters series next year with Mansell etc.

The first race in South Africa last year was excellent.

Guess we will have to make do with the Masters series next year with Mansell etc.

The first race in South Africa last year was excellent.

Aye, good idea that series is!

Haha, Rossi was 9th fastest in testing..

Well think about it....he races Moterbikes, not cars, he doesn't have consistant drives in F1 cars. I think it's pretty good, he could do much worse.

If he ever does come into F1 with Ferrari, I think he'll be better than average, but only good enough to win 1/2 races a season and maybe a few podiums, but regular point finishes.

Oh McLaren Honda ...The days of Senna v Prost!

Showing my age now! I even remember Mansell pushin his car over the finish line back in the early 80's !!!!

Cant wait for new season to begin! Seen some shots of the new cars and so far looking good!

Although the interim colour of McLaren is not lookin good, Orange!!! YUK Hoping that changes with new sponsors etc b4 the first race!

When racing gets anywhere near that again i'll be glued.

It's just so boring recently though. And by recently i mean the last 8 years.

:no:

It's been boring for quite a while, although last year was a step in the right direction.

Looking at the lap times during testing, Honda and Renault look the strongest, with Ferrari, McLaren and Williams bringing up the last of the front runners. Testing is not an exact way to tell, but that is how it looks atm. I think Williams could do good with the V8 Cosworth. Cosworth have a lot of experience with V8s, so it should be a pretty good motor. Of course, if the car itself is rubbish, even the best of engines won't help it.

I remember Hill and Williams Renault. Probably one of the first F1 champs I ever watched.

They have changed the tire rule. There are a larger variety of tires available than ever before and they can be changed in pit stops etc. I think this is mainly due to the safety factor, like last season when Kimi Raikkonen's tire failed, that was a very dangerous situation.

I think the FIA have realised they can slow the cars down in other less dangerous ways. Good decision in my opinion :)

I agree. That tire rule was rubbish, though it did increase the pressure on the driver's quite a bit. Made for some good races.

I know what you mean. Only in the 2003 and 2005 seasons was there any competition for the driver's title. Even though I'm a Schumacher fan, the dominance of Ferrari made me turn off the TV halfway through the race. It was that boring. Same thing when Hakkinen was champ, though to a lesser degree.

Hope that this season continues last year's trend of being competitive.

Well think about it....he races Moterbikes, not cars, he doesn't have consistant drives in F1 cars. I think it's pretty good, he could do much worse.

If he ever does come into F1 with Ferrari, I think he'll be better than average, but only good enough to win 1/2 races a season and maybe a few podiums, but regular point finishes.

I agree, I think Rossi has had about three tests in a Ferrari. There must be quite a difference between two wheels and four wheels. I mean on a bike you shift your weight about when going round a corner, where as you dont do that in a F1 car. How many of you guys could finish 9th in a F1 test if you have only drove one three times?

Last year was the best season for a while, long may it continue.

Alonso and Raikkonen have some incredible fights during the race, and the competiveness for the title is really good! Imagine when they are both racing at McLaren in 2007.

nonono, i didn't think rossi would be that good on 4 wheels. He kills on 2 but i would image it is ia whole diffrent game then 4. I was very impressed!

The new qualifying format....

I don't get it. In the last 20 minute session, where the top 10 fastest drivers run, they have to run on their RACE fuel loads. Surely, if they suddenly have to go from having 3 laps worth of fuel in the car, to 30 laps worth of fuel in the car, none of them are going to be able to beat their second qualifying session time. So the final grid will be decided in the second qualifying session?

"The times for the ten remaining cars will be reset for the each session. For the final period, lasting 20 minutes, the cars will be arranged on the grid in positions one to ten in the order of their times, the fastest occupying pole position."

So it doesnt matter if position 10 time is slower than sum1 in position 14. The slowest of the final 10 gets position 10 thats it. (due to the last session being on race fuel it is quite possible that all the top 10's times could be slower than most of the field so far!!) :blink:

Put simply, basically at the start of the qualifying all the cars will be running on low fuel. The slowest 6 cars get knocked out and their positions are set. 17-22. The same happens again for the second session, and so positions 11-16 are set. (after each session the times for the remaining cars are reset.) For the final session with the 10 remaining cars, not only are the times reset but the fuel levels must be what the cars intend to start the race with. so the cars that have so far been running fastest on low fuel loads must decide if to keep a lowish fuel load, or if they think they can run heavy and still get a good qualifying position.

Hope that helps!