[Review] Zalman CNPS9500 LED Heatsink

I've had this heatsink for a while now, but took pics whilst installing it, so thought I would share... its also the first review ive done...

Introduction

The Zalman CNPS9500 LED Heatsink features a 100% copper heatsink with aerodynamically optimised 'tunnel' design for maximum cooling efficiency with 0.2mm ultra-slim fins for minimised weight and reduced airflow resistance. The fan is an ultra quiet CNPS 92mm opaque fan with blue LEDs. Compatible with both Intel and AMD processors. The heatsink comes with a variable fan speed controller (Fan Mate 2).

Technical Details

Processor: Intel (Socket 775/478), AMD (Socket 754/939/940)

Dimensions: 85(L) X 112(W) X 125(H)mm

Weight: 530g

Base Material: Pure Copper

Speed Range(RPM): 1350 RPM - 2600 RPM (+/- 10%)

Noise Level (dB): 18.0 dB - 27.5 dB (+/- 10%)

Components

1) CNPS9500

2) Thermal Grease

3) Fan Speed Controller (FAN MATE 2)

4) Cable for FAN MATE 2

5) Double-sided Tape (to attach FAN MATE 2)

6) One(1) S-Type Clip (for installing Socket 775/478)

7) One(1) L-Type Clip (for installing Socket 754/939/940)

8) Four(4) Bolts (for installing the Cooler)

9) User?s Manual

10)b> Two(2) Clip Supports for Socket 478

11)b> Two(2) Install Bolts for Socket 478

12)b> One(1) L-Wrench

So as you can see, Zalman have made sure they have packed absolutely everything you could possibly need into the box!Installation Picturesb>

I am installing this heatsink for a Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz (630 Series) which is Socket 775. I should note here that this heatsink needs space! So if your motherboard is a bit tight around the processor socket, it may not fit... You can check by going here: Zalman CNPS9500

I'm going to be fitting the heatsink onto an Asus P4AD2-E Deluxe Motherboard which has plenty of room to play...

img59044dq.th.jpgimg59059jt.th.jpgimg59138pk.th.jpgimg59176yz.th.jpg

Here we have some nice shots of the Zalman CNPS9500 Heatsink, and the original Intel Stock Heatsink (blugh!). The stock heatsink was cooling the processor t55c (idle) upto 70c (gaming)b>, so I just had to get shot of it... Plus the Zalman just looks so damn cool!

img59228cw.th.jpgimg59257cq.th.jpgimg59274sr.th.jpgimg59299hi.th.jpg

Here I've gathered up the components from the Zalman box which I will need to install the heatsink. You can see there what a mess the Intel thermal paste has made of the processor, so that needed a real good clean, I used thin bit of cardboard to remove this. Because it's Socket 775, I need to remove the motherboard (rather annoying!) to fasten the bottom support bracket... the blue board you see is Asus' Thermal Protection Technology.

img59300du.th.jpgimg59311xq.th.jpgimg59327nz.th.jpg

The braket which fastens to the bottom of the motherboard (left) and the heatsink support (right), this shouldn't of been difficult, but somehow took a little longer than it should of.

img59339pn.th.jpgimg59363wt.th.jpgimg59418hl.th.jpg

Fastening the heatsink to its support bracket was a difficult task, a bar passes through the underneath of the heatsink, which then is to be screwed into the support bracket, ha, yeah sounds easy, but one of the screws fastens underneath the fan, so I had to be really careful not to put too much force on the fan with the screwdriver.

Well once it was all done, as you can see, it looks pretty damn nice - so now better check out what its doing for me...Performanceb>

Just a recap, before the Zalman heatsink was installed, my processor was running a3.0Ghz / 55c (idle) upto 70c (gaming)b>.

When I first switched the computer on after the installation of the Zalman, I went straight to the BIOS to check things out3.0Ghz / 33c!b> I was delighted with this, and it enabled me to begin thinking about overclocking... So that's what I did!

thatshardcore3kr.th.jpg

I did actually try a few configs before I did this... rather than just jumping in at the deep end! Anyway as the screenshot illustrates4.0Ghz / 53cb>, Windows had just booted up, so obviously the processor had been fully loaded with that... I didnt want to push that, so...

normal3hs.th.jpg

This is now what I run my processor at all the time3.75Ghz / 34cb>, the computer had been idle for about 15mins before I took this screenshot - and also the room conditions were very good. When I'm using the computer it rises to about 40c, which I am very happy with.

Ratingsb>Packaging:b> 9

Although I havent illustrated it, the box was really good, it had information regarding exactly how the heatsink worked, and showed graphs of performance for various processors. Overall it was well packaged, and looked like it meant business!Installation:b> 7

The installation will obviously vary from socket to socket, but on the Socket 775 it was annoying having to remove the motherboard to fasten the heatsinks support brackets, and then another annoyance was actually fitting the heatsink onto the support bracket with its screws, ouch.Design:b> 10

I have to give it a 10... In my opinion it looks incredible and performs at the same time.Noise:b> 9

Using the supplied fan control is advised, else it will run at 2600 RPM, which is quite loud, when the fan is running at the minimum, which is 1300 RPM, it is virtually silent, which is no wonder its called silent mode!Speed Control:b> 7

The supplied fan control is very simple but works, its a shame more thought didnt go into it. I have the cable running out the back of the case in order to use it, not ideal, but hey...Temperature:b> 10

The Zalman really did surprise me, it was such an improvement over the stock heatsink! It bought temperatures down by 22c (from 55c to 33c) which really does unlock the overclocking potential of any processor!Price:b> 8

This beauty does come at a price ~?35 (~US $62), which I thought was a little steep, but its deffinately worth it.

mother of pearl! your idle was 50 before this thing? mine is only 31 on idle. imaginge what this can do for me! definately gonna get it. thanx for the review

Mmmm, nerd lights :D Looks pretty beefy.

mother of pearl! your idle was 50 before this thing? mine is only 31 on idle. imaginge what this can do for me! definately gonna get it. thanx for the review

By the way, this will do little to nothing to your system. 31C is 88F, and that's getting really damn close to room temperature. No fan is going to get you below room temperature, that's just impossible, and you aren't going to get much closer than that (because also take into consideration that the ambient temperature inside your case is actually what matters, not room temperature). I'd be surprised if you got much if any decrease in temperature in purchasing this product. I'd suggest you not to waste your money.

Edited by Betaz

ASUS boards tend to report lower temps sometimes. I don't know if it's still like that with newer boards though.

With my 478 on a P4P800Deluxe and E-Deluxe, the idle temps reported around 27C with a CNPS7000ALCU. When I switched everything to an MSI board the temps reported at 39C

I think the high temp was due to the environment of the room which the computer is in, very very small, and where the computer is situated, there isnt much airflow at all!

You are lucky to have 31c with the stock fan, like Betaz says, if your processor is already that cool, I'm not sure you will see improvements when changing the heatsink.

Thanks for a great review, I was looking at getting a zalman passive heatsink for my A8N-SLI board to replace that pesky chipset fan.

Paul

Go for it. I got one of the blue zalman chipset heatsinks and it's great. No more noisy fan on my A8N-SLI.