whats the difference between plasma and LCD?

i just can really understand whats the difference between both tech. are both using LCD system but plasma are bigger in size, or they using difference tech.

and which is better for tv ?

LCD is liquid crystal display and uses two polarized sheets, one filled with liquid crystal, and an electrical current passing between the sheets. Each individual pixel is actually composed of 3 "subpixels", representing blue, green and red. Behind all of this is a series of flourescent bulbs. The line shines through each pixel and the electrical current polarizes each "subpixel" appropriately in order to get the right blend of colors to give the exact color that is required in each pixel.

Plasma pixels, while rectangular and not square, are also composed of 3 smaller sub pixels, one for each major color. Each pixel contains phophors and amounts of plasma, neon, and xenon gases. Electrical current passing through the gases forces the given gas to give off ions thus resulting in an ultraviolet light glowing from the cell. This light excites the phosphor and the pixel illuminates.

This is a very very sophmoric explaination from someone who never did care for science too much. I hope it helps.

WoW

thanx alot for the great explenation bang , i wouldnt have understand them better than this..

but one more question , then plasma display have life-time ??

resulting in an ultraviolet light glowing from the cell

oh my god my tv is giving me cancer, turn it off, turn if off

supposedly plasma displays die after a few years = bad

oh my god my tv is giving me cancer, turn it off, turn if off

supposedly plasma displays die after a few years = bad

Like CRT's, plasmas do give off a small amount of radiation.

Plasmas don't die after a "few years". You're simply regurgitating exaggerated rumors that you read online.

Plasmas don't die after a "few years". You're simply regurgitating exaggerated rumors that you read online.

Not only are they exaggerated rumors, but old exaggerated rumors. Plasmas have come a long way since the fears of "they'll die in 5 years! OMG!"

WoW

thanx alot for the great explenation bang , i wouldnt have understand them better than this..

but one more question , then plasma display have life-time ??

I tried my best. Like I said, I'm not a real top science person, but I'm glad it helped.

All TV's have a life span. The lifespan of a plasma comes down to two parts:

1. Just like a CRT, the phosphors lose their "exciteability" over time. This means that the picture will get duller over time. Again, this is exactly what happens in CRT's also.

2. The glases inside a plasma dissipate (I believe that's the correct term) over time. On a good plasma like a Pioneer, you'll get a good 20 years of average daily viewing out of it. Out of a Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, etc, you can get a good 15 years. Cheaper sets, such as Maxent or Sylvania, will have a shorter life span, but you get what you pay for.

One thing I don't think is an internet rumour is that plasmas suffer from burn-in with static images. Apparently, the black side bars you would have watching a standard shaped TV show will eventually be burned in to the side of the panel.

thanxx bang...

so for tv viewing which is better , LCD or Plasma?

Plasma generally gives you a better image

From my experience LCD are alot clearer, or should i say sharper.

I'd go with one of them.

It's sharper, but the colors are not as rich and the picture is no where near as bright.

One thing I don't think is an internet rumour is that plasmas suffer from burn-in with static images. Apparently, the black side bars you would have watching a standard shaped TV show will eventually be burned in to the side of the panel.

Research has shown that while burn in can happen, it tends to be image retention more often than not. Changing the channel for an hour or so usually clears things up. As for SD content, it's best, for the set, to use the wide zoom (or equal) setting to remove the letter boxing on the side.

Yeah, plasmas can burn-in unlike LCDs (very little burn-in, or temporary image retention) or DLPs (none at all).

Research is showing that, more often than not, plasmas also simply experience image retention and not burn in. While burn in CAN happen and it can't be dismissed, it's very rare on newer sets. I've actually seen image retention on a Pioneer plasma. Chabge the channel and a half hour later, the problem was gone.

Image retention and burn-in are much much more common in the first 100 hours of use of a plasma and still worth watching out for in the first 1000 hours of use. The reason is that the phosphors do not age linearly. They age very fast at first and then level off over time. So consistently watching a 2.35:1 movie on your brand new 1.78:1 plasma or watching a lot of sports with constant bright score board pose a much higher threat early in the life of the plasma. Most people don't worry much about these things after about a 100 hours though.

one thing i hate about LCD tv's are if you look at them from different angels they have that dulling effect how you cant see any clear picture unless you look at it directly kinda

Thank's for clarification

one thing i hate about LCD tv's are if you look at them from different angels they have that dulling effect how you cant see any clear picture unless you look at it directly kinda

170 degree viewing angle on my Sharp.

170 degree viewing angle on my Sharp.

Yeah, but if you read the fine print on lcd viewing angles you will find that at those extreme viewing angles the contrast ratio drops to less than 10:1 and in some cases less than 5:1 (they say CR<10 or CR<5 sometimes next to the viewing angle rating if they feel like being honest). A plasma on the other hand has much much much better viewing angles even though the ratings are similar. The reason is that each individual pixel on a plasma acts as a lightsource whereas lcds have a few ccfl's behind the panel itself. So yeah, those measurements aren't comparable between the technologies.

My guess is that while contrast drops dramatically on off angles on LCD's that one Plasmas you retain all of your contrast ratio in the stated viewing angles. The LCD rating seems to just apply to the angles you can still make out an image on the screen.

Edited by SonComet

I guess if you can afford a big screen, you can afford not putting your chairs to the extreme right or left of the screen.

But I like to lie down on the floor when watching TV or Movies...