Xbox softmodding

just bought a pre-owned xbox and really enjoying it, but my main aim is to be able to use it as a media centre as well, what is the easiest way of doing this, while avoiding opening the system up? I've checked sites like xbox scene but I found it too daunting, can someone help me here please??

to what extent can I mod it without? if I do decide to open it up, whats the best way to to the whole mod? will the hard drive need replacing etc, capacity isn't a problem as I will only store a few things Divx movies at a time

just bought a pre-owned xbox and really enjoying it, but my main aim is to be able to use it as a media centre as well, what is the easiest way of doing this, while avoiding opening the system up? I've checked sites like xbox scene but I found it too daunting, can someone help me here please??

Wrong!

Softmodding doesn't involve opening the Xbox at all, and is 100% reversable

Google for softmod installer deluxe and you'll get the site,

I don't know if its ok to post the link, but it should be the first google result.

yes u can, softmod via audio or gamesave exploit, theres lots of installers and guides on xbox-scene most popular is probably the splintercell gamesave hack, all u need is a copy of the game, a memory card and a way to get the gamesave onto your memcard

You cannot use the Xbox as a media center without opening it up.

WTF?

Normally, when people don't know what they are talking about or are unsure of themselves, they start off with something like "If I remember correctly" or "As far as I know..."

Anyway, I've never done a softmod personally but from what I've read it's fairly easy to do, you just the right utilities.

Google xbox scene and you'll find all the information you need.

Follow devilotX's advice and look for softmod installer deluxe.

Wrong!

Softmodding doesn't involve opening the Xbox at all, and is 100% reversable

Google for softmod installer deluxe and you'll get the site,

I don't know if its ok to post the link, but it should be the first google result.

blast me for being on 56k!!!

meh, get a mate to download it lol

so you're saying that I download softmod installer deluxe v3, burn it to CD, stick it in my xbox and thats it, no mod chip or anything??

so you're saying that I download softmod installer deluxe v3, burn it to CD, stick it in my xbox and thats it, no mod chip or anything??

you need a gamesave exploit to boot from the cd.

the general idea of softmodding is to install an exploit on the xbox harddrive, whether it be via hotswapping or a gamesave exploit, to allow you to boot unsigned cds/dvds, from which you can gain ftp access to the harddrive or directly install a hacked dashboard, afterwhich you can install anything you want via ftp.

Edited by acoustikrage

No need to open ur xbox for softmod.

1. It would be easier if you have access to a modded xbox.

2. All you need is a memory card with gamesave exploit for splinter cell or mechassault.

3. The best/easiet way to do #2 is have #1

4. U dont even need to burn a CD ...just FTP to ur xbox once the exploit boots and patch ur dash.

Id recommened looking for the UXE exploit (i think it stands for Uber Xbe Exploit). Pretty much guaranteed to work, even with the latest version 1.6 xboxes. If you need to get the save onto your mem card, actionreplay/gameshark or something of the sort will be able to do that. Or someone with a premodded xbox can ftp the stuff onto your mem card.

I did mine with a copy of the original splintercell. There are a couple of other games that can do the exploit as well, mech assault as dhan said, and i think 007 agent under fire... You just need to get the UXE save for the game you're gonna do it with. If possible, get a copy of one of the original versions, not the re released platinum ones. Check your video shop to hire it or 2nd hand games shop to buy.

http://www.xbox-scene.com is your friend :) check their forums, and use the search for UXE, there are guides already there, dont make a new post there unless you screw up bad and need help.

Good luck :)

Normally, when people don't know what they are talking about or are unsure of themselves, they start off with something like "If I remember correctly" or "As far as I know..."

Before I posted, I went to Xbox Scene and looked at a few tutorials for doing it. Every single one I found required the Xbox HD to be removed and put into a PC. I guess I just got unlucky and clicked all the wrong ones. Sue me.

UXE is definitely a good choice, but one thing I would suggest is to buy a new HD. The obvious reason is more storage for games/movies/apps/etc etc etc (it fills up very quick), but the biggest reason is so you always have the original stock HD to fall back on should anything happen. This will require a few extra steps like unlocking and ghosting the stock HD, but it could save you big time down the line.

This should answer any questions you have about xbox softmodding, it's a very helpful thread, the best i've seen.

http://forums.something awful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1774391

remove the space.

edit: and, no you don't HAVE to open the xbox up, only if you want to install a modchip or a larger drive.

Edited by kevcart3

Please note: You can't go online on Xbox Live with a softmodded Xbox.

Wrong. I'm using Krayzie's Ndure 1.0 gamesave (just needed Splinter Cell and a borrowed USB memorycard adapter), and I can play on XBL whenever I want if I start up the Xbox with a retail disc in the drive (that triggers the softmod to hide itself from XBL). To re-enable the softmod and show XBMC, I just take the disc out of the drive and restart it (or turn it off and then turn it back on again by pressing the eject button). Works beautifully.

Wrong. I'm using Krayzie's Ndure 1.0 gamesave (just needed Splinter Cell and a borrowed USB memorycard adapter), and I can play on XBL whenever I want if I start up the Xbox with a retail disc in the drive (that triggers the softmod to hide itself from XBL). To re-enable the softmod and show XBMC, I just take the disc out of the drive and restart it (or turn it off and then turn it back on again by pressing the eject button). Works beautifully.

confirmed, i witnessed a friend do the very same thing. witnessed it with my very own peepers i did! :laugh: