PlayStation 3 to have DVR capabilities?

PlayStation 3 to have DVR capabilities?

2/3/2006 11:56:06 AM, by Ken "Caesar" Fisher

Earlier this week we reported on Sony's pans to take on Xbox Live with a new online gaming service aimed at the PlayStation 3. Now it appears that Sony has even more in store for the PS3, including "DVR capabilities," media center-like functionality, and commercial content tie-ins.

First, let's start with what's shipping today: the PSP. Sony's PSP has video entertainment device written all over it, but you didn't need a report to tell you that. With its UMD and Memory Stick Duo storage capabilities, the device was designed to do more than play games. Witness Sony's own PSP Media Manager, and TiVo's upcoming support for the device?both ways to get video entertainment content on to the PSP's glorious screen from a variety of sources. Now add to this the PS3, and you can already see where this is going. The devices were made for each other."Right now Sony CEA is focused entirely on PS3... basically on auto-pilot from [sony's] standpoint. They have big plans for it down the road, but mainly as more of an accessory for the PS3," a source told print-only magazine PSM.i>

An "accessory" for the PSP is going to be a device that can connect to the PS3 for interactive gaming, video sharing, and probably music synchronization. Think about it: you're Sony, and you have the PSP. The device is in the same price league as the iPod (although storage is more expensive), and the screen is better. You're also a content owner with fingers in movies, music, and television. Sony's efforts to-date with UMD offerings are only the opening salvos for the company. How do you go after iPod-like success? Like the iPod that is tethered to a computer, the PSP will be tethered to a PS3."DVR functionality is going to be a big push for this thing. We don't know exactly how the video is going to get into the system, but it's a top priority for Sony," the source said. Furthermore, they said that "high def movie and TV episode downloads over the online service are a definite, kind of like the iTunes Music Store."i>

So, the PS3 may turn out to be a kind of DVR. To be sure, Sony has been talking about putting a DVR in the PlayStation for ages, even back in the dark days of 2003. For a brief while, the company planned a PS2-based offering that would have DVR functionality and sport niceties like a DVD burner and a (then) spacious hard drive. Microsoft has thought about this internally as well. But what would a PS3 DVR look like?

The quote above gives me pause. It surprises me that the source is not clear as to how the content will get on the device; presumably this would be obvious for a device designed to be a DVR. Second, the PS3 will likely not have a hard drive in all configurations, which leads me to believe that whatever DVR-like functionality there is will be secondary to the device. To be sure, this is already the case with the Xbox 360, with its media center functionality relegated to a small part of the interface that's easy to ignore. And the Xbox 360 can't do it all itself. It's not a true DVR, and most of the media functionality that makes it interesting requires a Media Center PC somewhere in the mix. Will the PS3 offer that kind of functionality without a PC somewhere doing the heavy lifting? I have my doubts. And to be honest, thinking about what a DVR interface designed by Sony might look like makes me shudder.

If the rumors in PSM are true, what I would expect to see is something closer to the Microsoft model, where a centralized networked PC serves as the repository of content, and streaming media capabilities fill in the rest of the gaps. (Indeed, Sony already works this concept into a lather with its "Location Free" offerings.) I don't think the PS3 will be a traditional "set it and forget it" DVR device like a TiVo. Rather, I think it will play content that is fed to it, but you'll need to do the feeding. Sony will likely expand their current e-commerce options to help with that, and some tie-ins with the PS3 should be expected. I seriously doubt, however, that it will be recording streams of video from your cable connection while you're playing Madden 2007.

The writing has been on the wall for some time. Microsoft's Xbox largely paved the way for good, centrally managed online gaming services for consoles, and the company even tried to make the Xbox into a home entertainment hub (arguably, the hackers did more in this regard than Microsoft did). With the Xbox 360, Microsoft has raised the bar, and it looks like Sony will be chasing after them. But I wouldn't throw away that TiVo or Media Center just yet.

Source:b> Ars Technica

I seriously doubt, however, that it will be recording streams of video from your cable connection while you're playing Madden 2007.

Lol PS3 has cell it can bascially make you a cup of coffee if you programmed it to :p this should be like a walk in the park for it.

The PS3 is becoming more and more of a Media PC and less of a gaming console. This is probably just a way for Sony to justify charging $800 for it.

P.S. - I know the price isn't set yet, I am just saying that Sony will most likely use this as a reason to charge an insane amount of money for the PS3.

BTW, as you can see I didn't write the article so... don't even try to say I'm flamebating people into another Microsoft vs. Sony thread again... :rolleyes:

now, keep moving! :happy: :yes:

hey have big plans for it down the road, but mainly as more of an accessory for the PS3," a source told print-only magazine PSM.

It won't be part of the standard package by the sounds of it, the PS3 will have the software to work with it no doubt, but the hardware sounds like, it will be some extra device/attachment.... not a DVR in the same box.

The PS3 is becoming more and more of a Media PC and less of a gaming console. This is probably just a way for Sony to justify charging $800 for it.

P.S. - I know the price isn't set yet, I am just saying that Sony will most likely use this as a reason to charge an insane amount of money for the PS3.

And how do you know it's becoming 'less of a gaming console'?

And anyway, most people want more out of a games console than just games. Although Sony seem to love DRM'ing their products, a PS3 media centre would have the potential to be a much better media centre than the xbox 360 because you wouldn't necessarily be restricted to Windows (especially if they include Linux on the HDD - in which case nearly anything is possible). Moreover, more formats could be supported, and integration with the PSP could be fantastic.

I still find all this stuff PSM has said hard to believe, especially the Location Free part - that's just ridiculous because the Location Free base station itself will cost $300-$400, so there's no way they would give you that and more for ~$400 on the PS3.

I still find all this stuff PSM has said hard to believe, especially the Location Free part - that's just ridiculous because the Location Free base station itself will cost $300-$400, so there's no way they would give you that and more for ~$400 on the PS3.

lol o9ffcourse its beliveable they did it with the PSP didnt they.

PSP = ?180

Location Free = ?200+ ????

i can see sony doing this as they have done with the psp, greedy twats:crazy:y:

lol o9ffcourse its beliveable they did it with the PSP didnt they.

PSP = ?180

Location Free = ?200+ ????

i can see sony doing this as they have done with the psp, greedy twats:crazy:y:

er, what are you talking about?? You have to buy Location Free and the PSP separately.

this is a anti sony forum, whats with the sony bashing. just comment on the article.

there is doubt whether the validity of the information is from. the scans of psm does not spell blu ray properly, nor does it justify how dvr can be achieved without a harddrive in the first place. however it would justify its price if it does offer this feature, just not out of the box. i would be glad they had it, as a living room entertainment hub, but i wouldnt have high hopes on it.

this is a anti sony forum, whats with the sony bashing. just comment on the article.

there is doubt whether the validity of the information is from. the scans of psm does not spell blu ray properly, nor does it justify how dvr can be achieved without a harddrive in the first place. however it would justify its price if it does offer this feature, just not out of the box. i would be glad they had it, as a living room entertainment hub, but i wouldnt have high hopes on it.

I wouldn't call this an anti-sony forum. About a month ago this forum was filled with anti-microsoft (or more specificly 360) posts by the dozens.. But the main person responcible for those got himself banned.

If I see blatant "fanboyism" I try to comment on it, I hate it. But I don't think this post is specificly "anti-sony".

er, what are you talking about?? You have to buy Location Free and the PSP separately.

lol i know but i can see them intergrating it as PSP will connect to PS3 will it not, thus it will elimiate the need for someone to buy the location free base for ?200 or more when a PS3 would cost about i dunno maybe ?400 or more???? in which you also get your PS3 stuff aswell.

lol and i highly doubt this is an anti-sony forum, there are bashers on both sides... sometimes some get the upper hand on others sometimes they dont. This thread does not seem to be "flamebait" just coz it was posted by someone with and xbox sig and avater.....

i hope the PS3 doesn't turn out like the PSP did- a device jampacked full with loads of pointless functionality (this is IMO) i bought a PSP and well, never used it because none of the games really appealed to me- and all the functionality (Video, Music etc.) I used on my devices which were actually built for it like my iPod etc. so i ended up selling it as it was just collecting dust. I think if the PS3 purely aims at games and really makes some keepers and delivers then it will do great. :) (and also if they keep the cost down)

well thats just my 2 cents anyway, chow for now :D

i hope the PS3 doesn't turn out like the PSP did- a device jampacked full with loads of pointless functionality (this is IMO) i bought a PSP and well, never used it because none of the games really appealed to me- and all the functionality (Video, Music etc.) I used on my devices which were actually built for it like my iPod etc. so i ended up selling it as it was just collecting dust. I think if the PS3 purely aims at games and really makes some keepers and delivers then it will do great. :) (and also if they keep the cost down)

i agree to a part

1000 dollars or not im still gettin ps3. i like playing games,and since im only 19 and i have nothing really to get yet, its a small price to pay for fun. Also i would have x360 but none in my town.

There's a big difference between what the PSP is capable of, and what the PS3 will be capable of.

And if Sony do a good job, integration of the PSP with the PS3 could be very interesting. I empathise with you on the fact that there just aren't enough games for PSP, but don't you think it'd be cool to stream videos stored on your PS3 to anywhere in the world onto your PSP???

but don't you think it'd be cool to stream videos stored on your PS3 to anywhere in the world onto your PSP???

i admit that does sound cool :p but i still stand by my statement of Sony concentrating on there games, because well they obviously didnt pay much attention to the PSP games. IMO :)

Did you guys read the old articles from E3. Sony doesn't want to make JUST a console. It wants to make a super computer. This way they will be able to compete with everybody at the same time. Apple and Microsoft.

BTW, as you can see I didn't write the article so... don't even try to say I'm flamebating people into another Microsoft vs. Sony thread again... :rolleyes:

now, keep moving! :happy: :yes:

I have to congratulate you on this one actually :D

Anyways...yes like everyone says its hard to say if Sony can deliver but its nice to know they have it planned and this month more likely than not we will get some detailed information But remember one thing, this is coming from DEVELOPERS! not Sony...according to the article in PSM

I thought they were gonna make it compatible out of the box..i didnt realize you will need one for the PS3 as well..ah whatever

How is it 'less' of a gaming console. We all know it will play games, we are just getting info on its OTHER capabilities.

Edited by Firen

I thought they were gonna make it compatible out of the box..i didnt realize you will need one for the PS3 as well..ah whatever

If the PS3 is in fact a Location Free base station (which I strongly doubt), then the PSP will work with it.

However, for now, you'll have to buy the Location Free base station, and obviously have a PSP, in order to watch TV, stream media etc. etc. onto your PSP around the world.

If you don't remember the PS2 also had DVR capabilities in japan. There was one really expensive version made with built in DVR and it was huge in size. Never made it outside Japan and I don't think it was a success inside Japan.