JBL vs Yamaha vs Onkyo

My dad currently owns YAMAHA and he doesn't want any other brand, I think YAMAHA is great and perfect for surround sound.

Well... He bought the mini YAMAHA speakers for the back and front but he built his own big speaker for the front (you know the ones with the 3 and the mini sub at the bottom, lol.

The YAMAHA subwoofers are good too...

YAMAHA is long lasting too we had ours for over 6 years!!

I'm not too happy with the Yamaha speakers either, although it is much better than the JBL system. The Yamaha surround and front speakers are excellent, but the center speaker is a little weak. The subwoofer also seems underpowered for the overall system.

I'm going to pick up the Onkyo system this weekend. I will post back with my thoughts.

You should calibrate the speaker levels with a SPL meter

Testing systems this quickly is a bad idea. You're not giving any time to burn them in.

I realize that, but I was completely unhappy with the JBL system. As for the Yamaha, I don't hate it, so I'm not taking that back just yet until I can get the Onkyo system and do a side-by-side audio comparison.

I'll give you my two bits on this. From my experience like most people have said its been a bad idea to buy speaker packages. On the other hand some companies put out a good product for a good price. I think you will find that ALL PACKAGES will have their weakness. Thats where the company saves their money. You can however adjust your receiver for increase bass/treble and volume in any of the speakers. (At least you can in a good receiver). Yamaha makes excellent products. I was buying a receiver last boxing day and yamaha's prices are just a little more BUT worth it. I ended up buying a Sony unit but I would have bought the Yamaha if I could have. Sony however makes a good product too. Onkyo and Marantz are two companies I don't really know that much about. Both are good but I find that Marantz and Onkyo stuff seems to malfunction after a while. I know 2 people and at work that all had their DVD players not reading disks and bad skipping. Im not sure if this is the same case with the receiver but I would still go with Yamaha. They build quality stuff that lasts and doesn't wear down or break. I also have two Yamaha outdoor speakers that I love. So in the end I would say go with Yamaha on this one.

I'd just like to point out that true Yamaha for North America is at http://www.yamaha.ca/av/Speakers.jsp?from=products (I know it says .ca, but trust me it's for US as well) if it's not there (which is the case for the speakers you mentioned) then it's made by a Canadian company called Global (sorry don't have a link to them, they don't sell direct, most people wouldn't know they exist, even some stores think that's genuine yamaha)

I'm just saying if you gonna go for Yamaha, go for what is listed on that site, that way you are guaranteed that it's actually made in a Yamaha factory in Japan, since Yamaha guards their name when it comes to their official stuff religiously.

I never heard Onkyo setup personally before but if you can't get a genuine Yamaha then you probably should at least test Onkyo.

Onkyo makes speakers? :huh: I did not know that. I love my Onkyo Receiver, how good are their speakers? Without knowing about Onkyo speakers I would personally pick JBL over Yamaha but then again it is up to your ears. My home system is all BIC and it sounds awesome but before I got the BIC speakers I looked at JBL and Boston Accustic. You really need to spend time listening to your speakers and make sure your settings on your receiver are set right otherwise no matter what speakers you use they will sound like dirt.

• 4 weeks later...

After a couple of weeks of campring the Onkyo and the Yamaha speakers listed in the first post, it is apparent that the Onkyo system is much more superior and sounded excellent for the price.

Now all I need is some 16-guage wire to ensure optimum sound. Can anyone suggest somewhere where I can buy about 15-25 feet of 16-guage wire for a reasonable price? No idea bout the quality, is it: "wire is wire" or are there specific brands that are obviously superior? Thanks for any and all help and your suggestions thus far.