just got a psp

I just got (actually won) A psp value pack. I have a few questions and need some recommendations though.

First of all, do I need to go to a wi-fi hotspot in order to update my firmware?

Second, what would be the easiest way for me to transfer movie files, etc, over to my psp? I've seen some packages that come with software + cable to do that, are there any that are recommended (and i'm assuming a new memory card would be needed)

Last and most importantly, whats a game you guys would recommend? I'm more of a casual gamer and just pick things up and put them down a lot, don't get sucked too much into games and play for hours everyday, but I llike multiplayer games such as ut, half-life, and still play tfc. I heard that socom game did well- even connects to the internet(?).

wow 23 views no replies..

you know not everyone has a PSP who clicks this thread... jeez

my mother used to sing this song, forgot the words, but it said "Have Patience"

or how about the slogan saying, "good things come to those that wait"

wellz, ok, first check ur firmware and homebrew that sucker...haha, ya u do need a mem card either 1 gig or 2 gig depends on what u gonna do, sonys gonna punch out there 4 gig soon iono if u wanna wait, as for games....well go to psp-hacks.com they got good psp resource

1) No, you can download the updates from Sony or by a newer game, they have the new firmware.

2) Just connect a USB cable to your computer and drag and drop the files.

3) The PSP is best for puzzle games, definitely get Lumines. Mercury is also pretty good. Liberty City Stories is also good. I've heard SOCOM was a good game, also Infected, but that one gets kinda boring, the Single Player anyway. You can play both SOCOM and Infected online over the internet.

Video - Use pspVideo9 to convert your files into MPEG4 AVC Download + Tutorial

Audio - You can use MP3s, but you can also get ATRAC3 files on there via Sonic Stage 3.2 Download + Tutorial

Pictures - JPEG, PNG, GIF, TIFF, accepted. Probably more. PSD isn't, however.

Just use your regular PSP USB cable to transfer files, no need for this software crap to do move it over for you. Any Sony MiniDisc Player/Digitial Camera/MP3 Player/Portable Device pretty much uses the same kind of USB cable the PSP uses. Other MD Players, Digitial cameras and MP3 players may also use the same type of cable. Plug it in, and WinXP will automatically detect it.

Games wise, I would recommend SOCOM, Wipeout Pure, Lumines, Ridge Racer, Midnight Club 3, NFS, GTA. Those games have nice Multiplayer :) Can't think of any more that suddenly spring out at me right now :p

EDIT: BTW, Mercury is one of those games for Aquired tastes, for those who like it, LOVE it, for those who don't, HATE it. Few are in between, but not many.

EDIT: I can't believe so many other people posted...oh well, I'm sure my helping will help out a psp newcomer best :)

Thanks, and ya I realized that most of the people wouldn't have a PSP. Anyway, thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to be going on a trip this upcoming week so i'm going to pick up my first game and I think it'll be Socom. Someone mentioned how the games had multiplayer - would that be over the internet somehow, like connected with a usb cable to my computer / wifi, kinda like nintendo has that website that you log into or something for the DS.

just picked up the Mega Man X Maverick Hunter game, and it's really fun. It's a remake of the original MegaMan X game for SNES, but done in 3D. Highly Recommended (Y)

is PSP game pirating site allowed? :huh: but ive played most PSP games and they get really boring..good thing i got a ds :) but the ones i liked the most were megaman, sims 2, coded arms (really short, worth a rent), burnout legends and Black and White creatures is coming out soon :D and i recommend not updating the firmware because it takes off the "fun stuff" :)

psp has yet to get very good games. it's sad how the DS is doing better with inferior hardware because of sony's inferior software :p

Its nothing to do with Sonys inferior software. Nintendo have just made more fun, playable games. That and the hardware is half the price.

I've played with a PSP - its a stunning piece of kit, graphically more capable, and able to do so much more.. the DS is far more fun, and is purely game oriented - nothing else.

I just bought the DS on the strength of my limited time playing on it and I love it.. wireless Mario Kart DS is just soooo soo good :)

psp has yet to get very good games. it's sad how the DS is doing better with inferior hardware because of sony's inferior software :p

Well you have a portable media device going against a portable GAMING device. I know this argument has been done to death, but still. Yes I am a proud owner of a PSP, and I am also displeased with the under abundance of good games. However look at UMD movies? I mean I know almost none of the PSP users on this site would buy them, but check the sales, they are booming big time.

I think a potential PSP surge will be happen if the rumors about the PSP and PS3 are true. Which I hope they are because that would freaking rock.

I think a potential PSP surge will be happen if the rumors about the PSP and PS3 are true. Which I hope they are because that would freaking rock.

what rumours would that be? .... i havent heard much since i dont own a PSP and have done little research on it.

what rumours would that be? .... i havent heard much since i dont own a PSP and have done little research on it.

Check under the gamer's news section. There was an article from the March OPM (Official Playstation Magazine) that said the PS3 was gonna be a DVR, and that you could control the PS3 with the PSP.

So with the potential cost of the PS3 being nearly.. what.. $600-700 and the PSP costing another $250.. not exactly an inexpensive home PVR system now is it?! Unless all that kit drops to Nintendo like prices, I just can't see that combo being an enormous hit.

Check under the gamer's news section. There was an article from the March OPM (Official Playstation Magazine) that said the PS3 was gonna be a DVR, and that you could control the PS3 with the PSP.

that would be sweet!! :D

i dont play games much so i havent kept up. My brother is much more into games. I'll wait until he gets PS3 ... so then i can have his PS2.. ;)

So with the potential cost of the PS3 being nearly.. what.. $600-700 and the PSP costing another $250.. not exactly an inexpensive home PVR system now is it?! Unless all that kit drops to Nintendo like prices, I just can't see that combo being an enormous hit.

Honestly though, who is buying the PS3 for the DVR functionality? I'm getting it for MGS4, and maybe a few other games. Besides, I consider it a bonus, HOWEVER, as long as it doesn't increase the cost significantly. But who's to say? Sony with there silence is bugging me, they're almost like VALVe and Team Fortress 2 hehe. Yea, a little skewed tangent, but basically the same thing.