Trophy Integrity question.

Does anyone think that the clips of the players holding the Lombardi Trophy shouldn't be allowed? I mean, I dont think you should get to touch the trophy until you win it. It should be a special moment, that only those who win the superbowl should get to touch it?

Am I just being silly? I mean, does everyone get to play with the Stanley Cup before the championship? I dont even think the players can see it before the series.

I just think that it cheapens it a little, by allowing both teams to hold the trophy and pose with it.

no trophy is like the stanley cup. i think they should be allowed to do whatever they want....but it just shows how much more revered the stanley cup is. nothing will ever compare to it. even kids when they are young won't touch just in case they ever get the chance to play for it when they are older.

My only issue with those spots was that it seemed like they showed a LOT moe Pitt players in clips than Seattle players. Which I'm sure is giving the conspiracy theorists even more firepower lol.

I must concur with yisman as well. You should only touch such trophy if you win it, not before you play for it.

Also, bigblue, you are correct with your statement. They put way more Pittsburgh players with it than they did with Seattle. Basically, everyone wanted Pittsburgh to win and apparently, so did the officials

no trophy is like the stanley cup. i think they should be allowed to do whatever they want....but it just shows how much more revered the stanley cup is. nothing will ever compare to it. even kids when they are young won't touch just in case they ever get the chance to play for it when they are older.

And once they win it, they bash the snot out of it....or even lose it? Doesn't sound so revered to me.

And once they win it, they bash the snot out of it....or even lose it? Doesn't sound so revered to me.

they bash the snot out of it? Please elaborate...

Is the VL Trophy 1 of a kind or do they make duplications of it for every Super Bowl?

they bash the snot out of it? Please elaborate...

Is the VL Trophy 1 of a kind or do they make duplications of it for every Super Bowl?

I remember a Sports Illustrated article after the Rangers won the cup...they followed it around with each player, and they made mention on what all the players did to the cup...use it for this and that, and by the end of the trip, the cup was dinged up all over....and this included one player losing it for a short period.

Granted that was in '94, but it didn't sound as if it was revered.

Yes, each superbowl a trophy is given out, so the team can have something in their trophy case forever.

Whups! title Edited, as I am sure quigley doesn't mean SuperBowl 15. :)

by agreement with the NHL and the Hockey Hall of Fame, each player of the winning team of the Stanley Cup is allowed to take the Cup home with them for 1 day to display it. Usually players have a little hometown parade. There are tonnes of stories that players have had their kids baptised in the Cup, one of the mothers of a player didn't know what the Cup was and used it as a flower pot. They also drink champagne out of it...

Anyways, thast part of the tradition with winning the Cup. It is afterall 100+ years old, its the same trophy carried around on the ice by hockey legends Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Maurice Richard, Bobby Orr, Gordie Howe etc.. It also has every players name who's won the cup engraved onto it, along with the team name and management. Sure its succumb to some accidents, im sure the many replicas of the NBA or NFL trophy that players have taken home have fallen or been banged up. Its not like theyre completly inedestructable. The thing weighs 30-40lbs and the tradition is to carry it over ur head, of course things are going to happen, but no other sports trophy has the prestige the Stanely Cup has. No single major sports trophy has existed for 100+ years, no trophy has all the players' name engraved on it and no sport allows its players to take the trophy home with them for display (not including reproductions).

I don't think they should have had those pictures, it was cool to hear the guys talk about it but they shouldn't had done the pictures they did. Then again everything is about marketing anymore and they don't care if the players should or shouldn't. But yeah i agree holding the trophy should be earned.

haha, superbowl 15. Thanks Boog! :)

Yeah, the stanley cup has been at the bottom of a swimming pool, had cereal eaten out of it, a dog has drank water out of it, but still no one gets their pictures taken with it before winning it!

I just think it cheapens the winning of the trophy some. thats all.

I remember a Sports Illustrated article after the Rangers won the cup...they followed it around with each player, and they made mention on what all the players did to the cup...use it for this and that, and by the end of the trip, the cup was dinged up all over....and this included one player losing it for a short period.

Granted that was in '94, but it didn't sound as if it was revered.

Yes, each superbowl a trophy is given out, so the team can have something in their trophy case forever.

Whups! title Edited, as I am sure quigley doesn't mean SuperBowl 15. :)

That's the entire point of the Stanley Cup, BOOG. Each player gets to spend a day with it. It's supposed to be something extremely special. One player had his newborn son baptized in it, if I remember correctly. Steve Yzerman took it to a hospital to show kids who had cancer and were literally on their deathbeds. Another player took it to the top of a mountain with him (can't remember the mountain). Most players take it on a parade or show it off some other way.

If you mean to tell me the Lombardi trophy has more of a tradition than that, then I would call you crazy.

I would never say it has less tradition, the point was brought up at how revered the trophy was....when I was trying to point out that it doesn't seem so revered when people goof off with it.

Just my $0.02

I would never say it has less tradition, the point was brought up at how revered the trophy was....when I was trying to point out that it doesn't seem so revered when people goof off with it.

Just my $0.02

I agree that whoever goofed around with it obviously didn't "revere" it, but you have to understand how many generations the trophy's been through. It was bound to happen eventually. The Lombardi Trophy hasn't even been around 1/2 as long, if I remember correctly (or maybe even 1/3 as long). And I'm sure that if the same situation applied to the Lombardi Trophy, that far worse would happen than a ding or two.

i forgot what the lombardi trophy was called until you just pointed it out. for that matter, i don't know what the nba or baseball trophies are called either...

you can ask just about anyone what the stanley cup is, and they will say hockey. that's what is cool to me.