WTF! Do I have a Virus, or what?

ok, I just installed IE7 beta, and came to neowin...

there are these green links on all the text on the site now.. ( I used to browese with Opera )

are these part of neowin or do I have some Virus... lol I just installed IE7 and I have a virus?

help

post-17927-1139490121_thumb.jpg

That's not a virus, it's a method of advertising. Were you logged in to neowin when you saw this? I'm willing to be probably not. Remain signed in, go back to the front page, and I bet it'll be gone.

That's not a virus, it's a method of advertising. Were you logged in to neowin when you saw this? I'm willing to be probably not. Remain signed in, go back to the front page, and I bet it'll be gone.

from tfp

I usually browse with Opera.. and I just downloaded IE7 beta to test it out, so ya, it was the first time Ive gone to Neowin with IE, and the first time in a long time without logging in

glad to hear...

and Neowin???? what are you thinking, it looks like crap, and a virus to most of us that dont know what it is

LAME

and Neowin???? what are you thinking, it looks like crap, and a virus to most of us that dont know what it is

LAME

The ad's have been there for ages, stay their whether logged in or not, neowin need to make money somehow.

The ad's have been there for ages, stay their whether logged in or not, neowin need to make money somehow.

I think the ads should be removed for subscribers.

Yes, it is by design and not harmful.

[Thread Moved from GD to S&FI]

Edit: My previous comment was incorrect because I was looking in the wrong place.

Edited by fred666

Yea maybe I should just pay for everything myself..

maybe try making a simple front page ... lose all those links, and just focus on content and have text ads on the sides like most popular sites...

things like this drive new people away from the site... I am an experienced coder etc.. and I found those green links very unnerving.. I mean I clicked on a link to make sure that they were ok and part of neowin, and I get a VERY sketchy page that had

SPYWARE!!! YOUR COMPUTER HAS SPYWARE ON IT... GET RID OF IT WITH OUR PROGRAM.. DOWNLOAD IT NOW.. IT DOES NOT HAVE SPY WARE ON IT TRUST US@!!!!

seriously.. you link to that **** to keep your slow servers running... you need to update neowin to be more like digg on the front page... include popular forum posts on the front page mate... get people to sign up from there..

Make the site more SIMPLE

Ironically enough, the answer is simple. The site is a service provided by a certain party, and you are a user. You do not pay for the services they provide, and as such, while you can compare all you like, you are hardly in any position to complain about advertising and tell the admins the site needs to be more "simple".

If your so ticked off about what is effectively a minor issue, then go use a more "simple" site. On the internet, you're hardly restricted.

Don't get me wrong - I love constructive criticism. But come on, there's no need to be cursing, or telling us it needs to be like another page...because in the end, Neowin is Neowin---"Where unprofessional journalism looks better", and a community forum thrives.

Stop freakin' out. Pay for Neowin's server every month and pay the staff! We will all enjoy an ad-free site then! :rolleyes:

maybe try making a simple front page ... lose all those links, and just focus on content and have text ads on the sides like most popular sites...

things like this drive new people away from the site... I am an experienced coder etc.. and I found those green links very unnerving.. I mean I clicked on a link to make sure that they were ok and part of neowin, and I get a VERY sketchy page that had

SPYWARE!!! YOUR COMPUTER HAS SPYWARE ON IT... GET RID OF IT WITH OUR PROGRAM.. DOWNLOAD IT NOW.. IT DOES NOT HAVE SPY WARE ON IT TRUST US@!!!!

seriously.. you link to that **** to keep your slow servers running... you need to update neowin to be more like digg on the front page... include popular forum posts on the front page mate... get people to sign up from there..

Make the site more SIMPLE

good to know. I thought that was spyware loaded on my computer, because the screen would flash. Not sure if i like these ads though

Yeah. What's with all the flashing stuff lately? Start to move the cursor over the side links and the page just starts frreaking out! Almost more irratating than waiting for gmail to quit flashing and finally load. The front page IS beginning to get a little over bearing on waiting for everything to load though. Already has me turned off enough so that I don't come here as often. :no:

from tfp

I usually browse with Opera.. and I just downloaded IE7 beta to test it out, so ya, it was the first time Ive gone to Neowin with IE, and the first time in a long time without logging in

glad to hear...

LAME

Without them, you most likely wouldn't even see Neowin. Bandwidth isn't free. :rolleyes: Good grief people.

LAME

Many site I visit use adwords. Link colours doesn't exactly scream VIRUS to me. What kinds of viruses are you used to getting that would do this? :blink:

Allow donations. I'm sure there're people who would donate a few bucks. Much better than those annoying ads in any kind of form all over the front page.

Yeah cause that's totally logical.

I'm sick of this Neobond. I truely am. I'm sick of this "I can do everything by myself attitude". It's all I freaking get from you. Yeah well know what? It's over. I'm buying a subscription AND YOU CAN'T STOP ME! What do you think about that eh? Giving you money. I'm sure you hate me now.

:shiftyninja:

Allow donations. I'm sure there're people who would donate a few bucks. Much better than those annoying ads in any kind of form all over the front page.

I like this idea too :D

Yeah cause that's totally logical.

I'm sick of this Neobond. I truely am. I'm sick of this "I can do everything by myself attitude". It's all I freaking get from you. Yeah well know what? It's over. I'm buying a subscription AND YOU CAN'T STOP ME! What do you think about that eh? Giving you money. I'm sure you hate me now.

For a small moment there, I got very very scared. :)

For a small moment there, I got very very scared. :)

sarcasm at it's best ! :D

That's the reason why, you need to read everything to it's final word before making a judgement. :yes:

That advice can save your life :whistle:

What is going on?! I can remember those links being on neowin for the entire duration of my membership thus far...

This is the third or fourth thread I've seen in the past three weeks about the intellitext ads...

-Ax