[JVC] CD Player problems

Hi everyone, I'm thinking this is going to be a long-shot posting on Neowin for help with my Car CD player ;) The other day my CD player just stopped working dead, funny I thought so I took it into my local Halfords and they re-wired the whole unit back up and it worked. Great ok. :)

But then, ever since when I tune in my Radio stations and the station for my iPod transmitter I can drive a long and they would work fine, then when I turn the engine off and then back on again the CD player is set back to it's default setting's. :wacko: So, I went back into Halfords and asked what was going on and the bloke said ok sounds like and yellow and red cable are the wrong way around. Ok, so I thought cool I could do that so I was told to cut and switch the solid red and yellow cables and swap them around so it equalled: Red/Yellow & Yellow/Red. I did all this and then reconnected the whole unit, and yes it worked somewhat now what happens is this; I can tune in the radio stations, set the clock etc and turn the radio off and on again and it keeps the settings and I can turn the engine on and off again and it keeps the settings for a while, but then if I take out the key or try again says 3 times later it will back and default again. :argh:

Addmitedely, the people that had the car before me did an awful job of wiring the radio, with tons on not-needed plugs but from what I can see I have done everything that I would know what to do. When my car get's back, currently in use I will take some pictures of the wiring and the unit and also give you some more details on the unit but for now I just need to know if anyone know's what im going on about. Also if they can find anything obvious what would be wrong with it. :whistle: All I can remember about my CD player is that its a JVC S model something (hard to remember all the stupid random model numbers. :) ) and its also wired into a Renault Clio 1995 M Reg.

Sorry if its a tough one to understand, but im not the best at wiring CD players as I don't know what I am doing exactly, compared to all these mechanics and car modder's. ;)

Thanks,

JMann

You must talk to the people who wired your cd-player to look for the wires who saves your setings of your cd-player after your turn off the engine and remove your key.

I had the same problem and I went to an electrician and he wired it corectly and works fine now!

Thanks for the replies. I took BMB's advice, and I went back in and complained to them and it looks like they made a mistake with an input wire coming from the fuse box "apparently". Well I am going back tommorow at 2.30pm to get it done again, and get it to work. I will let you all know tommorow, and thanks for the replies.

I thought halfords was the car equivalent of pc world? I went in there once with my mum to grab some ne window wipers quickly because it was raining and we didn't have any and from what I could tell it was essentially the car version of pc world.

I thought halfords was the car equivalent of pc world? I went in there once with my mum to grab some ne window wipers quickly because it was raining and we didn't have any and from what I could tell it was essentially the car version of pc world.

thats actually quite a good way of putting it, although if you need something in a hurry its kinda convienient to goto halfords, but your usally better off going to a local parts dealer price wise.

Quick and Convienient is my way of describing Halfords too; I saw the TV advert here in the UK and the fact that they would install and fix CD players so that was what made me go there in the first place. They are good thier, but its just a shame they didn't do it first time as it would of being even higher praises of thier firm. :)

eh i prefer to do all of my car audio stuff myself :) its really quite simple but yeah it does sound like a problem with the red/yellow wires which are the constant (memory) line and the switched (main power) line