how long did it take you to get "used" to driving?

How long did it take for you to get used to driving after passing your test?,

I've been driving for about 3 weeks now (passed my test back in nov05 but didnt get a car till January)

and i still make silly mistakes, usally either putting on to many revs when pulling a way or letting up the clutch to quickly/jerkily and doing a wheel spin :blush:

Ive locked the wheels a couple of times when breaking also :blush: (although i tend to be quite good at keeping a gap on the car infront to give me plenty of time to react)

i think im getting more used to my car now but i have the occasional silly moment where I forget to take it out of gear when stopped or try to shift into the wrong gear or something equally as stupid.

i try to stick to the speed limits (and its so easy to creep over by 5mph or so before noticing :| )

am i a bad driver or is it just lack of experience.

Actually i have to do a driving course at the end of next week (work are sending me on it before letting me loose in one of their vehicles) so hopefully it will help me improve my driving somewhat.

I had been out with my parents so much while waiting for them to allow me to get my Lic. that by the time I got it I was very comfortable. I started practicing with my parents in Oct. and the next summer they let me get my Lic. The deal was if I had good grades at the end of the school year I could get my Lic which is what happend. So by the time I got it I had 8 months of practice.

Getting good at driving stick takes experience really...took me around a month before everything was automatic. You just need to do it more and think about it a little more now.

..but wait..this is an internet forum. I'm just kidding, I got it all down within three hours.

To get use to driving is something that you can learn very quickly. Driving a car is not the hard part, learning and getting experience is never ending. You will never know everything nor will you be able to learn everything. Driving is something that chances from day to day. Weather, people, factors everything changes. If you know what you are doing and know your car you should be able to feel fine, though keep in mind that driving a automatic and manual are two completely different things. :)

Now back to your main question , I would say give your self a good 6 months driving 3 hours a day and you should be a pretty fair driver.

With my manual about a day or two after passing. My biggest thing was being on my own in the car, and not having someone constantly sat next to you. I prefer being on my own now as I don't have people telling me about my driving; "Your Speeding", "Your reving just that little to much, change gear."

You get the picture. ;)

If you're really having a lot of trouble with confidence. Is there anyone who has an automatic transmission car that will take you out for a while? If you drive an automatic for a while you can get a feel for the rest of the aspects of driving, then when you go back to your car you can focus on driving a standard it should be much easier.

I think I got "used" to driving about a couple of days after passing my test as I was driving alone without someone next to me telling me what to do.

But I had a crash 3 weeks after passing my test and haven't drove a car since (Nov 2005) so I suppose I?ll have to fine my confidence and get ?used? to driving all over again

I passed back in August 03 and haven't driven since... damn I just realised how long that is... I don't have any need to drive though, public transport is cheaper, easier and just more convenient for where I live... so I guess you could say I still haven't gotten used to it lol.

Took me awhile to get used to car itself because i was used to an old car then i got into a relatively new car at the time (2000 Corsa) and just took me a day or so to get used to the clutch but after that i was fine. Everyone has moments where they don't put it in the right gear but locking the wheels is different though, Perhaps you're getting used to how sensitive the brakes are.

I don't have any need to drive though, public transport is cheaper, easier and just more convenient for where I live...

Wish I could say that for public transport where I live, I can't wait to get a car and get back on the road again :D

Took me awhile to get used to car itself because i was used to an old car then i got into a relatively new car at the time (2000 Corsa) and just took me a day or so to get used to the clutch but after that i was fine. Everyone has moments where they don't put it in the right gear but locking the wheels is different though, Perhaps you're getting used to how sensitive the brakes are.

Ive only done it twice since i got the car and both times i was able to unlock the wheels fairly quickly by releasing pressure from the brakes, although maybe i should go down a quiet road and pratice some emergancy stops or something...

and sensitive brakes, nope if anything they are the most insenstive brakes ive ever used!

and no there is nothing wrong with my brakes its normal for ford KA's to have brakes like that :| I've spoken to numerious people who drive KA's and they all say the brakes feel mushy compared to other cars :o

• 3 weeks later...

wjhat car dop you drive dragon2611 ? and how old ? and what car and what age did you do your lessons / test in ?

It might be becaus eyou go tuse dtoa nice modern smooth car and now youa re in an older one with a different byte point on the clutch and just generaly different sensativity everywhere its taking a while to get used to it.

Dragon judging from what you said about lack of confidence, I expect your locking the wheels up because your stomping on the brakes because you freaked out about something.

I was like that in my second lesson but I've stopped that now.

Give it a few weeks of a good amount of driving a day and you'll probably feel a lot better.

Took me a few weeks to start getting use to driving, even long on the motorways. I freak out in places i have no idea i am because normaly where i know i'm going i've planed my drive out and what lanes i need.

Luckly i went out alot with my parents so i got to look at the way the roads work, it has helped me alot

the hardest part was getting comfortable, e.g. with parking in and out, turning when there are cars in the way, judging distances and speeds, etc.

i've been driving my car for over a year and i still don't really know it. i mean, i can't really judge its size very well yet. how are you supposed to know how far you are from the object behind you when you can't see it? obviously, i don't want to bump into it. maybe you have some tips.

You dont really realzie when you get "used to" driving..it just comes by experience..ofcourse at one point of time you were really new and at another you became an awesome driver, but the transition between them is quiet smooth and gradual. But some people get better at a steeper rate than the rest...so it depends on that too!

i've got quite a "resume"

been driving on my dads lap since i was 3 years old..

then i was taught how to shift gears when i was 8..

i was driving electric carts everday when i was 10

i was 13 when i drove a real car for the first time.. it was a Fiat turbo diesel.. drove for about 3 hours straight.. best thing ever.. although i always killed the engine trying to start from a hill.. my dad always make me park like that so i can get better..

i got my license when i was 17..

i was already used to it.. but i'm not perfect.. the only thing i had to get used to was doing a full stop behind the limit line at intersections.. i used to just roll through it on right turns if i didn't see a car coming.

everything else came super easy for me..

3 years driving.. clean record.. one accident.. i was rear ended by a girl.. not bad for 65,000 miles.

i learned how to drive in 3 weeks last summer, then got driver's license and the next day my company car, then it was weekend and monday morning i had to face brussels on my own...

i'm not saying that i've gotten used to it really fast, i still make the occasional error, but so does anyone once in a while...

but i do feel comfortable and relaxed in a car now, maybe coz it's not 'my' car ;)