Metroid Prime: Hunters to Offer Voice Chat

Beginning in late March, the company plans to deploy electronic kiosks at thousands of U.S. retailers including Best Buy Co. Inc. and GameStop Corp.

Owners of the dual-screen DS who go near the kiosks will automatically receive a notice on their devices offering game demos, movie trailers and other content for temporary download. The information will be erased from the DS once it's turned off.

The service uses the DS's local-area wireless networking capabilities, which until now had been used just to facilitate head-to-head play by gamers near each other.

Nintendo also said it was adding voice chat to the sci-fi action game "Metroid Prime: Hunters," available March 20. Players who join up for multiplayer battles over Nintendo's wireless Internet service will be able to talk to each other through the system's built-in microphone before and after games, but not during, said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America Inc.'s executive vice president of sales and marketing.

Source: Yahoo News

I guess that mean voice chat during WiFi games is too CPU intensive for the DS. Voice chat or not, I was still gonig to get Metroid Hunters anyway.

I also read that TetrisDS is going to be one of the demos downloadable from the kiosks, very exciting.

I guess that mean voice chat during WiFi games is too CPU intensive for the DS. Voice chat or not, I was still gonig to get Metroid Hunters anyway.

I also read that TetrisDS is going to be one of the demos downloadable from the kiosks, very exciting.

Yeah, Nintendo said at E3 last year when they had the chat demo that they probably won't be able to do chat in most games due to the power required. At least not unless they release some sort of peripheral that offloads the audio encoding so DS doesn't have to do it in software.

A game like Tetris or a puzzle game they might be able to pull it off in-game, but I don't think they're adding this to Tetris. They didn't say anything about it anyway.

I'm happy about kiosk downloads. They've been doing it in Japan for a while, it's nice to play the demos on your own system instead of the cruddy display that everyone has touched.

Yeah, Nintendo said at E3 last year when they had the chat demo that they probably won't be able to do chat in most games due to the power required. At least not unless they release some sort of peripheral that offloads the audio encoding so DS doesn't have to do it in software.

Actually what I would rather have then voice ability is chat ability with the stylus. If you want to talk to someone it should turn one of the screens into a notepad and you quickly write a message and send it. Then during the match the person will have a little blinking icon or something notifying them they received a message. All they would have to do is tap on it to pop it up.

Really looking forward to MP:Hunters! Nice they implemented a simpel voice chat, it's better than nothing. Messaging during the game could be possible, although I doubt I would have time writing anyting. Mulitplayer in MP:Hunters is incredible fast passed, but during breaks it would be nice :)