.NET haters?

Just another thing I have to install to make programs run, like Java or Python. For someone who has like ten different .Net applications it makes sense to have .Net, but for one or two it's a waste.

^^ as above, I think thats peoples biggest gripe with it. Also .net is usualy a little slower then something say programed in C because it has more overhead. People also gripe about the memory system and claim .net apps use more memory when in reality the memory they use is only being reserved and if needed will be freed up for the rest of the OS.

Just another thing I have to install to make programs run, like Java or Python. For someone who has like ten different .Net applications it makes sense to have .Net, but for one or two it's a waste.

if you install windows xp sp2 the dotnet framework gets installed automatically, its also preinstalled in

win 2003 server and the upcoming vista so i guess a separete install will not be much of an issue a few months down the line from now.

I like how easy it is to program with .NET (c# mostly) but I wish along with this we could bring true portability. Mono isn't really providing what is needed and it is very unlikly that MS will actually help to provide that portability to Linux/UNIX.

On another note: Java is really the best language when it comes to portability, but as with seemingly all languages it too has its flaws. It is possibly to write the code in Java and use a wrapper to provide the executable environments including the JRE. Anybody know if you can do this with .NET code?

What requires .NET what sort of applictions?

Anything that says it requires .NET framework to run. Example is Paint.NET.

if you install windows xp sp2 the dotnet framework gets installed automatically

Windows 2003 and Vista I'm not sure about, but SP2 only comes with DX9 and WMP9. Maybe you got it with windows update?

Who cares who has a problem with it. If you write .NET apps, then just write em. The few people who hold out will eventually come out of the stone age when .NET apps become more common and they have no choice. It's kind of like the people who hold onto an old OS because "there is nothing wrong with it". Well, no, there isn't, so if you're happy, great, but you're missing out on new features that the rest of us now have.

I like how easy it is to program with .NET (c# mostly) but I wish along with this we could bring true portability. Mono isn't really providing what is needed and it is very unlikly that MS will actually help to provide that portability to Linux/UNIX.

Have you tried mono? The only thing that's not near perfect is the Windows.Forms, but even that's getting close...

lol I like .NET

"Hey, I made an application, it's only 200KB*"

* requires you to download 20 MB of runtimes

Good 'ol days where runtimes were only a few MB large.

Windows 98 SE (i believe) and later (i know Win2000 & WinXP) came with the Visual Studio Files to run C, VB and other VS programs.

as mentioned before, Windows XP and Server family come with the .Net framework already.

I dont see what the issue is really.

anyone who has ever coded in ASP will tell you that ASP.net is much better. Its easier. The core logic of your program is till there, but the monotonous and tedious design part of programming has been laid out easier for a programmer. And the controls are nice.

With any language, you'll need some files to run your compiled application (whether Java, .Net, etc.). So expect to download files when new technologies come out.

the great thing about java is that it works on any platform. :D

as mentioned before, Windows XP and Server family come with the .Net framework already.

I dont see what the issue is really.

I have Windows XP sp2 and it doesn't have the .net framework. It just doesn't. You are wrong, I don't know how else to put it.

With the raise of speed in internet connections and the obvious over-powered pc systems these days, i dont see whats the problem with downloading 20 mb of runtimes or have a framework installed, which in no way slows down your computer.

these people are just exagerating.

Windows 2003 and Vista I'm not sure about, but SP2 only comes with DX9 and WMP9. Maybe you got it with windows update?

I am sorry .. my mistake .. it doesnt get installed automatically with SP2 but its available on the official CD's distributed by microsoft. To install the framework let the CD autorun and then you'll need to click "Perform additional tasks", then click "Install .Net Framework". :)

i dont think its available with the downloadable version of the SP2 probably to avoid another lawsuit from EU :whistle:

I don't see what all the fuss is about. It's a lousy little 20 meg download. With broadband as widespread as it is, that's like a 5 minute download for most.

Oh, and to add to the list of programs that need .NET:

Autodesk has been using a lot of .NET lately.