My Free Image Hosting Site

Question

A while back I was looking for an image hosting website. One that was simple, easy and gimmick free. I was very hard pressed to find one. So, I decided to create one. Over the next couple weeks I'll probably change a few things here and there.

http://www.upitfree.com

Upitfree.com is simple, easy and FAST. Upitfree.com is 100% free and you don't have to sign up. It's completely anonymous. The file size limit is 3mb. If thats not enough, I may up it in the future. You will also receive all the HTML and BBCODE that you need to post your pictures online. Upitfree.com will even thumbnail your pictures for you!

Feel free to use it as you wish for sharing your pictures and images. Works great for avatars, sigs, family pictures, eBay, For Sale Posts, you name it!

Edit: Please keep in mind when we transition over to the new site, there is a good chance any uploaded images will be lost. This will be a one time thing. Thank you for understanding.

Edited by voidunknown

Yikes, what's with all of the image upload sites? IMO they all offer the same services, so I just end up going to the best looking one. I won't mention the site I use, as this isn't the place.

Also, it would be nice if you implemented a feature where you could sign in so that you can keep track of your uploads incase you lose a link. That's something I really like at the one I use now.

I do plan on offering some members only features in the future. Some people like that they do not have to sign up, some people don't mind. I am trying to find a happy medium. What I'll probably end up doing is keeping the service free with no need to sign up. Then offer a free members only area where users can track their uploads and delete images they no longer want. This would be the best of both worlds.

As for the site layout, I know its nothing special. I'm working on fixing that. :) I'm not a graphic artist by any means. I have had a couple people offer to help me out, but so far, I have not seen any ideas/work.

Well, just getting a feel for this idea. Please tell me what you think. Should I offer a contest to see who can design the best layout for my site? The winner would get something like $100 via PayPal. Does that sound fair? It's not a complex site, it would be fairly easy to do and at most maybe a couple hours for someone who knows what they are doing. If there is enough interest, maybe I'll do it.

Well, just getting a feel for this idea. Please tell me what you think. Should I offer a contest to see who can design the best layout for my site? The winner would get something like $100 via PayPal. Does that sound fair? It's not a complex site, it would be fairly easy to do and at most maybe a couple hours for someone who knows what they are doing. If there is enough interest, maybe I'll do it.

Would that include coding or just the graphics ?

Just the graphics. Sliced graphics would be preferred. Probably a logo remake, unless you can make a nice looking design with the current logo. I can do all the coding.

Just the graphics. Sliced graphics would be preferred. Probably a logo remake, unless you can make a nice looking design with the current logo. I can do all the coding.

I'm in then. ;)

Good to know. I think if we get at least 5 people in, I will officially announce the contest and rules. Also, there is no guarentee anyone will come up with anything good, so there might not be a winner at all. I'm not forcing anyone to do this, it would be a contest you would enter willingly knowing you might not win.

With that said, anyone else interested? The more people that show interest, the sooner I can make a decision.

It doesnt have to be a contest :no: why do you call it a contest ? You are paying $100 to anyone that can come with a design which you like and you specify details that must be included simple .. :)

And I'm in ;)

It doesnt have to be a contest :no: why do you call it a contest ? You are paying $100 to anyone that can come with a design which you like and you specify details that must be included simple .. :)

And I'm in ;)

Well true, but I used the word contest to make sure everyone would understand that there would only be 1 person getting the $100. Joe Shmoe with mspaint.exe is not going to get $100 for trying. I will pick the winner and there will be only ONE. :)

So, we got 2 people. Anyone else?

Well true, but I used the word contest to make sure everyone would understand that there would only be 1 person getting the $100. Joe Shmoe with mspaint.exe is not going to get $100 for trying. I will pick the winner and there will be only ONE. :)

So, we got 2 people. Anyone else?

My suggestion would be to start the contest as a lot more people will see it that way.

You're pretty much guaranteed 5 entries, and it doesn't really matter since you don't have to pay if you don't like anything.

I too prefer a "minimalistic interface." However, I want something that looks pleasing to the eye. Functionality of the site is #1, but if it doesnt look pretty, nobody will come back. :)

Yea, it supports animated GIF and PNG files. Within a month I also plan (if all goes well) to support some movie formats as well.

Both seem to work after a quick test.

Heh, beat me too it. And movie formats would be great. But again, create a Terms of Service page, don't want to be liable for what goes on :p.

TOS is already in the works. Along with the movies (as stated) and also the ability to upload multiple files at once, and possibly the option to upload a zip file with all your images at once. You will see all the new features as soon as I finish coding everything and test it a while. :)

TOS is already in the works. Along with the movies (as stated) and also the ability to upload multiple files at once, and possibly the option to upload a zip file with all your images at once. You will see all the new features as soon as I finish coding everything and test it a while. :)

.zip might not work well as people will be able to upload things other than images.

The multiple file thing will really set you apart though, I'm looking forward to that.

btw, how are you making any money off of this? I don't see any ads.

.zip might not work well as people will be able to upload things other than images.

The multiple file thing will really set you apart though, I'm looking forward to that.

btw, how are you making any money off of this? I don't see any ads.

Well not exactly. After the zip file is uploaded, all supported picture and video formats will be extracted by the server and put on the server. Then the zip file will be deleted and the uploader will be given the correct code for all pictures and videos that where in the zip file. :) If all goes according to plan.

I don't plan on making money from the site, at least not right now. I just want to create a reliable, fast service that others can use. There are no ads on the site right now because I'm waiting for Google Adsense to approve the site. Once they do, you will see maybe 2 text ads. I just want to make enough to cover the site costs. I may (not sure yet) offer an addition paid service down the road for like $1.99/month. I'm not sure what the benefits for paid members will be at this time. But thats not until later.

If you need hosting let me no! Looks good!

My good friend Frank at Contrast Hosting is taking care of my hosting. He runs a great company and if anyone is considering finding a host, I highly recommend his services. Thanks for the offer though. :)

Something nice, simple and pleasing to the eye while being easy to navigate. I would really like a new logo the more I think about it too.

Also, would anyone be interested in being able to have user galleries and pages for registered users? Or is that not something of interest.

Something nice, simple and pleasing to the eye while being easy to navigate. I would really like a new logo the more I think about it too.

Also, would anyone be interested in being able to have user galleries and pages for registered users? Or is that not something of interest.

Ok now i think you are trying to do too much at once. First pick your main point of focus. Image and video upload ? Then do that to the best you think you can and see if it is sustainable. Are users coming back? Are uploads fast ? What things can you do to make yours stand out ? The if or when your site is succesful you can add but too much can drive away people. When i want to upload an image i want it to upload as fast as possible and be ready as fast as possible so that i can share it.

I am by no means an expert at running sites .. but thats my 2 pennies :p