Hands-On With Final PS3 Dev Kit

"Remember the demo where Cell combined satellite images with landscape maps to produce awesome Google Earth-on-steroids scenes at hi-def 60fps? In our first hands-on we're moving in a PS3 game world that's a far cry from the "internal sphere" technique for skies and clouds in past-generation games. A stunning real world we're looking at - this time using RSX meat unlike Phil Harrison's demo nine months ago - gave us some clues about how the experience of freedom in a series like GTA could be enhanced in ways we've just not seen before - not with this sort of impact - and that's before any social simulation and AI is thrown in.

Particularly from a first-person or camera-only explorative view, everything from looking at natural, detailed, muddy floor to being in the shade of a tree, feels a bit closer to the being-there experience gamers dream of. A peaceful early morning sunlight scatters through leaves and floods over the darkened branches, softly rendered shadow traces all the way down to a canvas where grains of earth are visible, while dynamic range lets our eyes see it all in accurate contrast together - it's beautiful, almost like they promised this sort of scene would be - and it seems those 100 billion programmable shaders per second are being put to good use. It really is all about dynamic range and surfaces when it comes to realistic game images. "

We've now seen increasingly sophisticated effects on other high end platforms like Xbox 360 and Lindbergh, and PS3 is cramming all of it into its hardware convincingly. When on-screen action starts to move faster - much faster - later in the level, is when things feel properly impressive."

"And this is a key point; while it's clearly struggling to achieve Full HD without heavy compromises, something that PS3 does better than Xbox 360, most straightforwardly, is 'more stuff simultaneously'. An impressive list of simultaneous, wonderfully shaded, dynamic visual effects was evident, but PS3 was also able to throw around tonnes of geometry in terms of realtime 'explosion' calculation - and convincingly affect dozens of objects all at the same time.

The development source concurs: "Unlike Xbox and PS2, where Xbox had a host of built-in effects that were a generation ahead of PS2, the Xbox 360 and PS3 are same-generation machines. One doesn't have additional effects over the other - 360 can do the same effects, just not as many of them simultaneously and with less geometry [because of the speed difference], but memory bottlenecks can kill part of the PS3 speed advantage anyway... the overall visual difference it makes will depend a lot on the developer's skill, and how much time and money the publisher spends on a game."

source= http://games.kikizo.com/news/200602/065_p1.asp

wow :blink: if this is true the PS3 will dominate the next gen console wars...unless Nintendo comes out with something awsome! :D

if this is true the PS3 will dominate the next gen console wars...unless Nintendo comes out with something awsome! :D

maybe to you. it didnt do anything to amaze me, ill stick with 360

Hate to add to the cynics but we hear this crap from every company before every launch of every console.

'It's life like, you wont believe it, it looks like a photograph, it will revolutionise this and that'.

Hate to add to the cynics but we hear this crap from every company before every launch of every console.

'It's life like, you wont believe it, it looks like a photograph, it will revolutionise this and that'.

yeah, like when ms said there won't be any jaggies :|

yeah, like when ms said there won't be any jaggies

um, my 360 seems to be running FSAA2x?

No jaggies? no, but, it is much better than no AA?

I play BF2 on my PC at 2xFSAA, and yes there are still a few jaggies. But, compaired to no AA? It is a huge difference.

um, my 360 seems to be running FSAA2x?

No jaggies? no, but, it is much better than no AA?

I play BF2 on my PC at 2xFSAA, and yes there are still a few jaggies. But, compaired to no AA? It is a huge difference.

i dunno.. i dont have a 360, just been playing DOA4, Ridge Racer, COD2 and Kameo in shops.

i dunno.. i dont have a 360, just been playing DOA4, Ridge Racer, COD2 and Kameo in shops.

I don't know about any others, but the Kameo demo that was in shops (before release) appeared to be running without AA. However, the actual game clearly uses it everywhere.

I don't know about any others, but the Kameo demo that was in shops (before release) appeared to be running without AA. However, the actual game clearly uses it everywhere.

yea kameo does use it but dont kno about others :huh:..and srry about the topic repost i forgot to search it :)

yea kameo does use it but dont kno about others :huh:..and srry about the topic repost i forgot to search it :)

Lol it was right near the top of the first page in this forum :p. Didn't have to search lol..

Funny how I read this and then this on Engadget, who to believe, who to believe...

I don't think you even read the article.. It says the exact same thing. In fact that engadget article LINKS to this article.

Some interesting points by someone at the PS3Forums:

Well, things seem about right UNTIL they start talking about the actual games. They actually state that what they PLAYED in MGS4 isn't exactly what they were shown at TGS. Sorry, but it is of the utmost impossibility that this low-name website place got the first chance to play MGS4 behind closed doors ahead of the big name websites and magazines like Game Informer, EGM and most especially OPM and PSM. Just won't happen. Also, they speak about SpeedTree as if its the only middleware on the PS3 and how the PS3 has no physics engines yet that can even match what was seen in HL2. Sorry but the PS3 SDK has Havok 2.3 built right into the thing, so building a realistic HL2 physics engine would be a piece of cake for most development studios in the console world.

Some glaring contradictions, some serious problems, and some intelligent estimates. My final estimate of the article is ....

Close but No Cigar.

Oh yeah, and then they say the only real-time demos were Killing Day, MGS4 and Sonic. Sorry but they forgot Gundam, which was the first actual solid real-time gameplay footage ever seen out of the PS3 and Bandai even detailed the engine a little bit and how much of the Cell processor it was utilizing. Then you have Warhawk which was obviously Real-Time, and I guess they were not allowed into EA studios along with GI to get a hands-on showcase of MoH: Airborne. This article actually feels outdated by about 5 months considering all they seem to " detail " is low level technical demonstrations that are more detailed and vivid then the ones shown at E3.

Oh, and then I of course forget Lair which was shown a long time ago in a real-time demo test. And then they forgot UT2007 which has been playable for ages now and has been played by PSM for atleast 3 months. So yeah, this article feels old and outdated and well ... full of wild observation of already seen things and good estimates of what to expect. Until I read something similar out of a more noteworthy and most especially, trustworthy site I don't believe anything out of this article.

As I said above, I think this whole article is a bunch of s*** because no devs would give such an unknown, crappy site insider information.

As I said above, I think this whole article is a bunch of s*** because no devs would give such an unknown, crappy site insider information.

We'll see I suppose. But try next time to tone down the anger :p.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sure the 88% of people who own standard TVs are shocked by the bombshell of a revelation that they can't play games at 1080i/p that they couldn't do in the first place.

And I'm sure 100% of the people that wouldn't shut up about PS3 being "truly next-gen" and "1080p!!!" are just as shocked. :D

Yeah... I don't buy this "barely superior" rubbish. I don't see how it's even slightly superior.

And I'm sure 100% of the people that wouldn't shut up about PS3 being "truly next-gen" and "1080p!!!" are just as shocked. :D

Why the heck are you replying to an old thread? Are you purposely trying to put two negative PS3 threads near the top?

Why the heck are you replying to an old thread? Are you purposely trying to put two negative PS3 threads near the top?

If you took the time you would notice that the other thread was locked because it was referring to the same/similar topic. Thus my reply had to go in here. Have a nice day! :D