UPconversion with 30HF85?

I just got the Toshiba 30HF85 16:9 TV. It is being delivered on the 18th and I will be getting my Cable HDTV box on the 17th.

Anyway the TV has:

CrystalScan HDSC converts all 480i and 480p signals to high-definition 1080i for a smooth, natural image.

So my question is do I need to buy a DVD with up conversion 1080i?

It seems that the TV has this built in and if I am using the 480p outputs would it have the same performance and quality?

I also seem to remember when HDTV's and plasma TV's came out that there were these boxes that were recommended for improved picture quality, so what about those?

Thanks for the input and any responses.

It's always better to get a DVD player with it's own dediated circuitry. The upconversion capabilities of the Toshiba set are limited and nowhere near the quality of those chips found inside a good upconverting dvd player.

I would advise against getting that cyberhome. I would either recommend the Sony DVPNS70H or the Samsung DVD-HD950 (or 960 when it comes out).

well i wonder tho dude what he can afford that cyberhome i have read good reviews on it.

All Cyberhome devices have terrible track records when it comes to durability. That's why I never recommend them.

well that is true but if ya take good care of them they will be ok and last. but he could also wait for HD-DVD if he wanted

No, even taking care of them lol. I sell a few machines from them at work and almost never recommend them.

yep I do. We have a player from them and a recorder. Both are horrendous when it comes to being returned for breaking.

you lucky you get to play aroudn with all the new stuff. whats your opinion on both HD-DVD and BD formats and players

you lucky you get to play aroudn with all the new stuff. whats your opinion on both HD-DVD and BD formats and players

I don't have much of an opinion yet because I haven't seen either in action. I do realize that the HD-DVD initial players will cost much less and that's going to be very important in the adaptation of the new format. On the flip side, Sony is going to use the ps3 to leverage blue-ray like it did DVD with the ps2 in Japan. In the end, this means a ton of confusion and some really angry customers. Not to mention, even more work for a guy like me who has to try to explain this stuff.

I also work at Best Buy.

I am getting the Toshiba because my old 27" got discoloration that does not go away from degaussing. The in home guys declared it a bad tube and thanks to the PSP I'm getting this new one for just 100$ more than what I paid for the old analog.

I'm still unsure why a chip in the DVD player would work better than the chip in the TV? I even think that the Toshiba TV uses the same Chip as the Toshiba Upconversion DVD player. Then again on this 30" there is a problem of connectors. It only has one HDMI.

The HD-DVD players I have seen instore atm are I thnk 499$ copared to 149-199 for Upconversion and 79 for a preogressive scan.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1134699969167

I've gotta vote against the cyberhome set as well. I owned one of their progressive scan units and it worked for about a month before crapping out on me. it just stopped reading discs.

I've gotta vote against the cyberhome set as well. I owned one of their progressive scan units and it worked for about a month before crapping out on me. it just stopped reading discs.

Well I know lots of employees who buy the Cyberhomes with the PSP knowing the combined price is still fairly cheaper than 4-5 Star rated units but do so knowing that they can get an exchange when it goes ka-put. I tend to buy the PSP on anything and in fact the TV that just went bad was the longest lasting unit I have ever bought.

Many people forget [not usually published anymore] all units have a MTBF [Mean Time Between Failure] rating in hours. Well sad to say there is no unit that has a MTBF that can survive my household, lol.

I will most likely get a new DVD Player but for now my old Pioneer is still running strong. Once the HD-DVD goes down in price to 2 bills or so then I will upgrade.

Of course if the quality is not so hot I will get one now.

Is there a Box sold retail that will take multiple HDMI for 1 input like a HDMI switch box?

Do a froogle search for HDMI switch. They're out there, just not widely available via major retailers yet. They're also fairly expensive, in the $100-$200 range.