• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

OFFICIAL: Clean install vs. Upgrade XP pro?

RomeoXP1.0.8.6.    0

I have done both. I have to say hands down that upgrading from Windows Me is the better choice. I have noticed that compatiblity is much better, I have trouble with games, and some programs on the clean install. Where the Upgrade, which is the recommended choice option when you have an existing OS or simply bought the Upgrade version to be cheaper. Also, you dont need to install all of the same programs again. Some you do. But over all it is a better choice. Only trouble I see in upgrading is that you do have to weed out some of the junk left by Me that remains and is of no use. Using Drive Image makes the whole process easier. What do u think?

Keldyn    1

Full install all the way. Its faster, more reliable, plus you are putting the system into a "known state" so it is much easier to trace and troubleshoot problems you may encounter during the install or later.

Kid Death    0

I'm with Keldyn. Clean install all the way.

Baud    0

I never did an upgrade: always clean and full install after backing up the data. Never had hardware trouble also. But I guess disk is heavily fragmented after this, and lot of useless "garbage' remain from WinMe

Maybe an intermediate solution if you're satsfyied with upgrade method: do clean install in WinMe, ad then upgrade to XP.

just my 2% of ? of course: like I said, I don't upgrade.

:cheeky:

Xahid    5,360
Originally posted by Baud

Maybe an intermediate solution if you're satsfyied with upgrade method: do clean install in WinMe, ad then upgrade to XP.

(LOL) yea rite !!!

who have that much time to install 1st Me and then Upgrade to XP. go to "Clean install" man, its better & .... etc as Keldyn says !

RomeoXP1.0.8.6.    0

Thanks for the quick replies. Case in point, Taking into account that I have no hardware issues, I play Starcraft demo version. It does just fine in Win Me. When I upgrade it still runs fine. Althought I still find driver issues for my video card in XP. When I do a Clean Install, the Message I get is that I am unable to play because my computer is not procesing Updu packets or somethin like that properly. So there you have it, two things That I dont have problems with in Me. I overall dont have problems with XP Pro. I like it much better. And yes I do like the Luna, and I am not a newbie. I just think it's pretty to look at. Oh, before posts a dum comment, I have no homosexual tendencies or gender confusion.

Lenny    0

First off I did an upgrade (because I didnt realise you could do a clean install with the upgrade version back then). It kept crashing and left a load of junky ME scattered around my PC!

Most definatley a clean install.

RomeoXP1.0.8.6.    0
Originally posted by Xahid

(LOL) yea rite !!!

who have that much time to install 1st Me and then Upgrade to XP. go to "Clean install" man, its better & .... etc as Keldyn says !

I use Drive Image, it only takes about 4min to have a complete installation of Me on my harddisk. Oh yeah, that Image is a clean install of an Oem of Me. Time factor? Not a big problem. But yes it takes a little longer to do the upgrade, however it is more automated than the clean install. I have an upgrade version of XP which as we all know allows both clean install and upgrade.

RomeoXP1.0.8.6.    0
Originally posted by Lenny

First off I did an upgrade (because I didnt realise you could do a clean install with the upgrade version back then). It kept crashing and left a load of junky ME scattered around my PC!

Most definatley a clean install.

You like 89% of the people, do not know how to run Me properly. It is not a junky program if you do it right. And believe me, I have installed Me many times on computers or cleaned up Me for friends and family. And I have Upgraded to XP many times, Hands down, if you know what you are doing, Upgrading is the better choice. Then also having a dual boot using PM7, naturally BM7, and utilizing PQ to restore images helps a good deal.

I am not insulting you if you think you are insulted, merely making a point.

Steven    80
Originally posted by RomeoXP1.0.8.6.

I have done both. I have to say hands down that upgrading from Windows Me is the better choice. I have noticed that compatiblity is much better, I have trouble with games, and some programs on the clean install. Where the Upgrade, which is the recommended choice option when you have an existing OS or simply bought the Upgrade version to be cheaper. Also, you dont need to install all of the same programs again. Some you do. But over all it is a better choice. Only trouble I see in upgrading is that you do have to weed out some of the junk left by Me that remains and is of no use. Using Drive Image makes the whole process easier. What do u think?

i read the first sentence of your paragraph , the rest is babble to me, if you think that a upgrade is better than a clean install you have issues.

Jojo81    12

generally you will achieve better performace with a clean install in the long run.

rand0m.bullet    35

When i first got XP i had winme on this computer, i did an upgrade to test it out, and it ran like $hit.

With that said i don't see any reason why you would want to upgrade from the unstable, crap win9x kernel to the far Superior, stable NT Kernel.

A clean install using the NTFS file system is best. (IMHO)

Steven    80

if you had no idea, the "upgrade version" is clean installable :)

Ren (Killshot)    0

You like 89% of the people, do not know how to run Me properly. It is not a junky program if you do it right. And believe me, I have installed Me many times on computers or cleaned up Me for friends and family. And I have Upgraded to XP many times, Hands down, if you know what you are doing, Upgrading is the better choice. Then also having a dual boot using PM7, naturally BM7, and utilizing PQ to restore images helps a good deal.

LMAO, no he's 1 of the 89% of ppl who thought, what the **** is this **** and droped back onto windows98 or up to 2k, there is no proper way to run windows ME, its the most unstable os there ever was.. hell Microsoft even appologised 4 it

RomeoXP1.0.8.6.    0
Originally posted by xStainDx

i read the first sentence of your paragraph , the rest is babble to me, if you think that a upgrade is better than a clean install you have issues.

First off, there is nothing wrong with someone having an opinion. You do not need to be insulting to anyone here xStainDx. I have nothing wrong with me as I pointed out and you found unworthy to note. Please do not leave anymore insults. Helpful information is better.

Secondly, If you bother to read what I posted and offered suggests to correct the problems I am pointing out I just may be convinced of Clean install. I still dont know how to get my driver situation worked out, and I still can't play Starcraft on Xp doing a Clean install. Hence, I find the Upgrade better.

RomeoXP1.0.8.6.    0
Originally posted by RaINE

LMAO, no he's 1 of the 89% of ppl who thought, what the **** is this **** and droped back onto windows98 or up to 2k, there is no proper way to run windows ME, its the most unstable os there ever was.. hell Microsoft even appologised 4 it

I take it you are choosing to be insulting instead of offering solutions. You obviously have not read what I posted. Prove your source of information, otherwise it is just garbage. Windows Me was designed to a be a better OS than 98se. The Crappy way System Restore got put in Me is it's major problem. And also the minimal NT capabilities it has is built off of Windows NT. Inspite of that Me is a very stable System when properly used.

RomeoXP1.0.8.6.    0
Originally posted by DJ^TuRKiYe

When i first got XP i had winme on this computer, i did an upgrade to test it out, and it ran like $hit.

With that said i don't see any reason why you would want to upgrade from the unstable, crap win9x kernel to the far Superior, stable NT Kernel.

A clean install using the NTFS file system is best. (IMHO)

Yeah, Most people find Me to be crappy. Then there are the people who know how to use it. Go to Langa.com and read the info on Me. Please read from the beginning of the thread before you post. Your statement is well.... lacking. I point out why I state Me Upgrade to XP is better. Prove me wrong, or tell me how to fix those problems.

rand0m.bullet    35

Yeah, Most people find Me to be crappy. Then there are the people who know how to use it. Go to Langa.com and read the info on Me. Please read from the beginning of the thread before you post. Your statement is well.... lacking. I point out why I state Me Upgrade to XP is better. Prove me wrong, or tell me how to fix those problems.

Where in my post did i say winme sucked?, i simply stated in my own experience an upgrade from winme sucks compared to a clean install, it leaves unneccessary files scatered accross the harddrive, that is my opinion and you have yours.

IMO, wait, did you read that? i said in my opinion I don't see why going from WinME to XP can be better than a clean install.

You say starcraft doesn't work, yet i am on a clean install playing starcraft with minimal to no problems after updating it to the latest version.

btw have you tried using compatibilliy mode? :rolleyes:

RomeoXP1.0.8.6.    0
Originally posted by DJ^TuRKiYe

Where in my post did i say winme sucked?, i simply stated in my own eXPeriances an upgrade from winme sucks compared to a clean install, i have my opinion and you have yours.

IMO, wait, did you read that? i said in my opinion I don't see why going from WinME to XP can be better than a clean install.

You say starcraft doesn't work, yet i am on a clean install playing starcraft with minimal to no problems after updating it to the latest version.

btw have you tried using compatibilliy mode? :rolleyes:

Sorry if you (or I) misuderstood something. I am using the Demo version of Starcraft. Not the Retail. I don't like the retail. I don't think it's worth 10.00. I have tried the compatibility mode in XP I have not found it to be useful. I.E. it don't work. I can live with decrease in Video performance due to the driver for now, but I really would like to play Starcraft on Xp pro. I use it more than Me.

I never said you couldn't have your opinion. It will problably be different in some respects than Mine. It's OK.

gravel5839    2

Sorry if you (or I) misuderstood something. I am using the Demo version of Starcraft. Not the Retail. I don't like the retail. I don't think it's worth 10.00. I have tried the compatibility mode in XP I have not found it to be useful. I.E. it don't work. I can live with decrease in Video performance due to the driver for now, but I really would like to play Starcraft on Xp pro. I use it more than Me.

I never said you couldn't have your opinion. It will problably be different in some respects than Mine. It's OK.

i think if you are STILL using the demo then it might be worth $10

rand0m.bullet    35

You are using a demo version, only god and the starcraft developers know how old it is, and then you complain that it doesn't work in winxp :rolleyes:

godcha    0

@RomeoXP1.0.8.6.

if an upgrade works for ya then that's cool, simple as that. if you can play Starcraft only after an upgrade and not after a clean XP install and that's important to you then that's cool also...however I would ALWAYS clean install an OS and never upgrade. I am clean installing XP every few months cos after a while it's just too cluttered. that is what I do cos I like the smell of a just fresh installed XP, in the morning (hehe "quoting" here a phrase out of Apocalypse Now)

and your remark "Me is a very stable System when properly used"...an OS should be ok with normal installation. if you refer to tweaking and/or alteration of any kind that is more the reason to say the ME sucks otherwise define "properly used". I used ME properly and it still was crap. in that period I didn't "tweaked" my windows a lot (I just install ME and then the software/games) and if that is required to have ME running properly then, yea you know...memory management blaaaahhh. but ok I am used to the high standards of win2k.

mind you this is just my opinion!

@RaINE

I agree on the Win ME remark...during the very few days I had ME running it produced the most BSOD I've ever encountered. ME is real crap, well that's my opinion at least. I don't play that many games and the few I do play are very fine playable on a clean installed XP (Q3A/Arena - UT - VP3 - SOFII - RTCW - Jedi Outcast). before XP I was a happy Win2k user.

clean install is the way to go but if RomeoXP1.0.8.6. prefers to do an upgrade cos of Starcraft, then that's just fine with me. a clean install is simply better and I believe easier in the long run. and why is a clean install better (even tho you are then not able to run Starcraft apparently)? as Keldyn points out.

RomeoXP1.0.8.6.    0
Originally posted by godcha

@RomeoXP1.0.8.6.

if an upgrade works..............

I'm glad we have this forum for Opinions. I respect differing opinions, and look to get help from others. Info sharing is great! I've noticed how people are usually quick to be a little insulting here in posting opinions. I guess that's the social skills they've learned.

Anyway, I looked at the XP firewall and it was automatically enabled on the Clean install. I regularly use KerioPF. Everything else seems to function fine with both firewalls up. But I am betting that it is a problem for Starcraft connection. I will find out soon enough. And I can also try the Compatibility mode in addition. I think the Retail version has too many options. I like to keep it a little simpler.. And that's Kool. That's Me. I mean me. Well you can figure it out.

Nuphor    0

I am using the Demo version of Starcraft. Not the Retail. I don't like the retail. I don't think it's worth 10.00.

In the words of Albert Einstein, "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

This demo of StarCraft was probably coded before Windows XP's inception. Hence it's understandable that it may not work with an operating system coded after it. If the main reason why you've chosen not to upgrade is because a demo does not work, then there's something seriously wrong you. You muppet.

RomeoXP1.0.8.6.    0
Originally posted by Nuphor

In the words of Albert Einstein, "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

This demo of StarCraft was probably coded before Windows XP's inception. Hence it's understandable that it may not work with an operating system coded after it. If the main reason why you've chosen not to upgrade is because a demo does not work, then there's something seriously wrong you. You muppet.

Once again, Someone who selectively reads and makes insulting comments instead of offering help. Congradulations on your abilities.

Let me spell it out for you. I do upgrade. And there is no reason why I should not expect Starcraft demo to run in XP. Hell Blizzard supports XP. And I have played many a game with XP.

Thank you for your INSULT, and have a nice day.:)