• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

OFFICIAL: Clean install vs. Upgrade XP pro?

RomeoXP1.0.8.6.    0
Originally posted by giantsnyy2002

your inability to process UDP packets is caused by your network card/modem drivers being out of date. Update them to be able to play Starcraft.

Uh no, it was the fact I had two firewalls running. But I do appreciate your suggestion. At least you made the attempt to be helpful. Thanks. But since you mentioned it I could now udate the drivers since I did a clean install. Thanks again.

l337hardware    0

clean install :sleeping:

RomeoXP1.0.8.6.    0
Originally posted by l337hardware

clean install :sleeping:

OFFICIAL TALLY FOR THIS THREAD, 99.9999999999999999% RECOMMEND CLEAN INSTALL OVER UPGRADE TO XP PRO. AGAIN THAT'S 99.99999999999999999 TO JUST ME, I MEAN ME, UH YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

Now how to fix the driver issue........

Thanks for all the posts.

RomeoXP1.0.8.6.    0
Originally posted by mAcOdIn

Sis's drivers are at www.sis.com.tw for the latest ones take the .tw off for thier american site but I usually theck the Tiawan one first since they lag by 2 or 3 days. Here's a direct link: http://driver2.sis.com/graphic/gpu/315/315v303.exe dated aug 12th 2002 not too shabby ehh?

Actually, I went to the SIS site and downloaded those drivers. They appear to be more up to date than the CD I have. For some strange reason the CD won't install on XP. Anyway, the performance decreased after installing the new drivers. I had done a Clean Install of XPpro (the only way to go), and windows chose drivers for SIS315 dated last year.

Well, I did a rollback of the new driver and gained some performance back. I attempted a second roll back and drivers were taken from a Windows update address. It looks similiar to the drivers you suggested, just I have a little improvement.

When I was using TNT2 ultra a similiar thing happened. Over time as new drivers came out the performance increased. I was up to 142mp/s. I got the card I have now, mostly for the 64megs, but I read benchmark tests saying it was a little better. I did some testing on my own and yes it appears better more consistant in Me than TNT2Ultra. I guess I just have to wait unless someone knows how to fix it now.

Yvo    0

Well the thread is labeled Clean install vs. Upgrade XP.

Also if you had the same prob with the TNT2 Ultra it could be that you have a motherboard which requires AGP drivers of some sort or maybe even a bios update.

Now I am burning with curiosity why is that at first (before you fixed the star craft problem) you were willing to stay with starcraft demo to chose the more unstable path and not shell out $10 for the full version.

I will chose Clean install any day on any OS. What other members said.. old OSes (especially those with complete kernel changes) leave behind file dependencies, registry entries and OS based utilities.

EDIT: Also why is it that you can't combine posts... you some times reply 3-4 times in a row... you can simply all type that up in one post. Less stress on the Neowin server.

Xantos    0

always clean install

tally another one for the good guys :D

Tibur0n    0

hmm it was complaining about UDP ports--make sure the XP firewall is off.

RomeoXP1.0.8.6.    0
Originally posted by Yvo

Well the thread is labeled Clean install vs. Upgrade XP.

Also if you had the same prob with the TNT2 Ultra it could be that you have a motherboard which requires AGP drivers of some sort or maybe even a bios update.

Now I am burning with curiosity why is that at first (before you fixed the star craft problem) you were willing to stay with starcraft demo to chose the more unstable path and not shell out $10 for the full version.

I use the Demo because there are less variables. I like chess. The demo is closer in concept. You rely on more strategy than special abilities. Keep it simple Stupid. Just my preference. Does that cool your burning? may consider getting the full from gogame.com though.

As for my bios, I have updated them. If there were more then I would do it again. I have the latest Via updates as well. It's not a driver issue per se, it's a windows problem I believe. Cause I can get the top performace, perhaps a little better, when I do an Upgrade install, which was my major reason for liking the upgrade method. And notice I said was....

I have added one for the good guys.Xantos

Specter Of XP

JWise1203    1
Originally posted by Kid Death

I'm with Keldyn. Clean install all the way.

Intrabyte    0

I'l always stick with a fresh O.S install after a nice format. ALWAYS!

clean registry, clean fresh start... always like it "CLEAN"

I upgraded a few times in the past... bringed 2 much problems

mAcOdIn    1

Decreases performance how though? What happens with the newer drivers?

RomeoXP1.0.8.6.    0

Decreases performance how though? What happens with the newer drivers?

Both TNT2 Ultra and SIS 315 sufffer. I have them cranking at 170 and 185 mp/s then after the upgrade, TNT held better at 107 and SIS is 90's. I shake my head. The only difference between the two is the 32 megs. SIS will still playgames without an apparent hitch, where you can see graphic problems in TNT. I think I saw some slight problems with SIS. I just notice the screen looks more detailed at 185 than at 93???.

Oh, yeah I did turn off the XP firewall, thanks........Yup some more for Clean install........:D

mAcOdIn    1
Originally posted by RomeoXP1.0.8.6.

Both TNT2 Ultra and SIS 315 sufffer. I have them cranking at 170 and 185 mp/s then after the upgrade, TNT held better at 107 and SIS is 90's. I shake my head. The only difference between the two is the 32 megs. SIS will still playgames without an apparent hitch, where you can see graphic problems in TNT. I think I saw some slight problems with SIS. I just notice the screen looks more detailed at 185 than at 93???.

Oh, yeah I did turn off the XP firewall, thanks........Yup some more for Clean install........:D

185 what?? I don't understand what your using to benchmark your cards, I understand though whatever it is that is a hefty drop from 185 to 93, what is a mp? I agree with you now though about an upgrade instead of clean if I was getting that performance drop of whatever an mp is, but don't understand what is causing it. It could be the via 4-in-1's are you installing them in turbo agp mode?

RomeoXP1.0.8.6.    0

185 what?? I don't understand what your using to benchmark your cards, I understand though whatever it is that is a hefty drop from 185 to 93, what is a mp? I agree with you now though about an upgrade instead of clean if I was getting that performance drop of whatever an mp is, but don't understand what is causing it. It could be the via 4-in-1's are you installing them in turbo agp mode?

I often use Wintune, and pcpitstop.com. I have used Fresh devices. Anyway, I am not certain of what a mp is I think it's megapixels per sec (mp/s).

I also noticed recently that when I try to install games, it says can't find 3d or something. Device not installed. I can play XP plus games however. Additionally, you will notice I use SP-1, it does not affect anything. they are the same updates from the site. Same results.

Thanks for understanding, at least someone does....

This is from PCPitstop.com:

Brand/Model SiS 315

Resolution 800x600 pixels

Colors 65,636

DirectX version 5.1.2600.1090

OpenGL version 5.1.2600.1090

Acceleration options Enabled

Performance 107.87 MP/s

From Wintune:

Summary

SiS 315

800x600@16bits/pixel

92 Video MPixels/s

Video Details

AccOpt: Normal

Total video time (s): 4

Window open time (s): 0.052

Text scroll time (s): 0.28

Line drawing time (s): 0.11

Filled objects time (s): 0.11

Pattern blit time (s): 0.0051

Text draw time (s): 2.2

DIB blit time (s): 1.1

Window close time (s): 0.068

thingsforjason    0

good thing this is an official thread. :D

just out of curiousity tho, does starcraft even use 3d accleration?

mAcOdIn    1

Ahh ok I think your right. The 3d thing is likely caused by your drivers that your using not having an opengl ICD included with them so some games don't see you as having an opengl card. I don't know anything about the SIS 315 but in my geforce 3's case the drivers on windowsupdate.com are merely drivers that let it run in windows xp and nothing special. Now when you install the real drivers from the manufactuer you get opengl and direct X compliance, and the abilty to choose what features are enabled to imorove performance or image quality. Try this download the new drivers from SIS again and try those games again they should work. As for your benchmarking utilities, never used em but they're not a good way to actually determine a cards performance, for that I recommend fraps, madonions 3D Mark 2001SE and Vulpine, these actually just test the graphics card and work pretty good. Also do this before you try the SIS drivers from SIS. Right click on your desktop and choose properties, settings, advanced, then their should be a tab that says your graphics cards name, I assume SIS 315, and down at the bottom it'll say additional properties. Click that, and with microsoft's drivers you might not have that or if you do won't have any options, now with SIS's drivers you should have plenty of options to tweak to make your card run better.

RomeoXP1.0.8.6.    0

Ahh ok I think your right. The 3d thing is likely caused by your drivers that your using not having an opengl ICD included with them so some games don't see you as having an opengl card. I don't know anything about the SIS 315 but in my geforce 3's case the drivers on windowsupdate.com are merely drivers that let it run in windows xp and nothing special. Now when you install the real drivers from the manufactuer you get opengl and direct X compliance, and the abilty to choose what features are enabled to imorove performance or image quality. Try this download the new drivers from SIS again and try those games again they should work. As for your benchmarking utilities, never used em but they're not a good way to actually determine a cards performance, for that I recommend fraps, madonions 3D Mark 2001SE and Vulpine, these actually just test the graphics card and work pretty good. Also do this before you try the SIS drivers from SIS. Right click on your desktop and choose properties, settings, advanced, then their should be a tab that says your graphics cards name, I assume SIS 315, and down at the bottom it'll say additional properties. Click that, and with microsoft's drivers you might not have that or if you do won't have any options, now with SIS's drivers you should have plenty of options to tweak to make your card run better.

Ok, so you're saying download the latest drivers from SIS site for my card. Uninstall previous driver versions and reinstall the new ones. Then my performace should be good? 185mp/s? I'm happy if it gets 150's. Anyway, The SIS site says it only gives drivers out you have to configure for your system, not sure how to, but I will try a little later, hour or so. I think maybe you are right about the 3d thing though. Wintune can't run Null driver test.

sailgreg    0
Originally posted by Keldyn

Full install all the way. Its faster, more reliable, plus you are putting the system into a "known state" so it is much easier to trace and troubleshoot problems you may encounter during the install or later.

Yep :)

mAcOdIn    1

mp/s are just one of manythings important to a video card you can't just judge by one small factor. What other game's do you play? I would say Image Quality and frames per second are way more important the mp/s especially when those programs may be misreporting them.

Look at it this way install the real ones from SIS do you "Notice" a difference or is the only reason you think they suck is because wintune says they do less mp's? If it's just mp's and you can't really tell a difference then use the sis one's and drop microsoft's. Your games will like you, OpenGL games will like you, and you'll have less problems.